v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

Marriott has provided some hope right at the end. 

I would actually like to see something like this next game:

Roos
            Keogh          Clarke
Bennett           Bielik            Lowe
            Knight         Shinnie
                    Lawrence 
            Waghorn     Marriott

Bring Martin back on the bench in case Waggy has another game like that. He might not score but at least he has a good first touch still!

I saw enough from Lowe, Keogh, Clarke, Bielik and Marriott in that game to maintain confidence for the season.

We just need to find our best team and kick on from there.

New manager. New league for him. Lots of new players. Short and stilted pre season. 

We'll get there. COYR!

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dread us losing these days, not because we don't come away with three points, but because it just seems to force a certain section of our fanbase into total meltdown. It's bizarre. So over the top and kind of pathetic. 

We actually played well for large periods of the game. We made two silly errors that we paid for. Second half we were the better team but Bristol City sat in - and why wouldn't they? They're away from home and 0-2 up.

We are going in the right direction, in my opinion. But some of you lot aren't. 

I cant understand why we start home games so slowly. When we go away home teams are putting pressure on us from the 1st minute.  We start home games with such a lack of intensity it gives the opposition a foothold in the game and gives them confidence. We didn't start playing until we were 1 0 down 

Not much wrong with midfield today. Not much they can do if the ball keeps coming back after you pass it forward. Yes, Huddz gave the ball away abnormally lot at the start but was better when alone as a DM. Bennett as well, but that's normal for him... Malone and Waggy had proper stinkers and I'm darn sure I can still cross better than Zoon even my legs are totally gone. Passing back was most likely better option at least we didn't lose the ball. 2/3 of them could do with dropping...

Yet, maybe the most worrying part is Clark positioning. He gets caught way too many times with the simple ball over his head. What Malone did was horrendous mistake, but what Clark is doing, we are seeing pattern how we are conceding. That's way more worrying for me, but I might be still suffering from the managerial past where bigger picture means more than individual mistakes.

Hats off to Bristol. Capitalising the mistakes and controlling the game without ball with quite ease. Better team won, on to the next one.

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

I dread us losing these days, not because we don't come away with three points, but because it just seems to force a certain section of our fanbase into total meltdown. It's bizarre. So over the top and kind of pathetic. 

We actually played well for large periods of the game. We made two silly errors that we paid for. Second half we were the better team but Bristol City sat in - and why wouldn't they? They're away from home and 0-2 up.

We are going in the right direction, in my opinion. But some of you lot aren't. 

Agree with much of that. I think the frustration is a hangover from being two flukey goals away from the Premier League against an average Villa side, combined with watching a few performances tonight from players who are struggling to do the basics. It will take a while for this squad to gel, but Marriott needs to start and so does Paterson v WBA.

19 minutes ago, Ramshackled said:

He should start, but even if he had we'd still have conceded the same two sloppy goals at the back

True . Missing Bogle. Once opposition get lead they just have to let us pass ball round in our half and hit us on the break. Not rocket science. I could not imagine Knight not being better than Hudds tonight. Too many players off their best. Zoon tried really hard. A lot of inexplicable giving the ball away. Maybe a record.

We gave them two goals. GAVE THEM TWO GOALS. Lawrence had our best chance first half saved by the keeper. We created the better chances first half and I thought we how are we 2-0 down then I remembered we gave them two goals. Second half we gave the worst display of crossing the ball I have seen. I think there will be some practice at Moor Farm on crosses next session.

Does Bennett deserve at starting place above Marriott? Should Bennett start above Marriott? I don’t think so. Even if Marriott only had one leg he should still start.

Stupid mistakes cost us. Thought the build up was good all game (obviously helped as they were defending a lead for most of it). I’m sure our fan base will over-react as usual but plenty of positives. Dowell had a poor game but in my opinion it was his first. Bielik good defensively but should be given no attacking responsibilities. 

No excuses for Zoon anymore, shouldn’t be near the first team squad. Lawrence, Paterson, Bennett, Knight, Mitchell-Lawson and the kitman should all be ahead of him. 

My first game this evening in 5 years due to anxiety and mental health issues that I have posted about before. So thank you to all the fans in the lower west stand that made me feel so welcome just with a smile.

anyways, the football. Reminded me about of macs style of play this evening, a bit methodical. But there was plus points, Beilik - Lowe - Marriott, all deserve a plus point. 

Huddlestone and Dowell, annoying. Tom Lawrence kept drifting out of position, has he been told just to roam around the pitch ? He started joining max Lowe at one stage! 

Oh well, roll on Saturday. Retain the ball and press. That’s what we need to do  

11 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Hes the least direct winger ive ever seen. In fact his positional play and his crossing are that crap id use the term footballer very loosely

Did he play as a winger then. Must have missed that. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Watched every single minute of it. Bristol looked dangerous at will, we didn't. More like dangerous by accident mostly.

Well, all I can say to that is that I disagree with you. I don't think Bristol City looked particularly dangerous, just solid and well organised. 

Archived