v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides the performance being awful, it wasn't great seeing so many leaving after 77 minutes and the guy in front of me was wishing injuries on Dowell, now me and a few around me were a bit  embarrassing at times in reaction to the shocking display of the team and mainly Malone and Dowell, but that is just way too far, and makes for a toxic atmosphere.

I dont blame cocu, not much he can do with league 1 standard midfielders and wingers (bar beilik and lawrence when he decides to turn up)

The recruitment team needs sacking. Failed to get a winger who can at least not lose the ball every time, failed to get an energetic box to box midfielder and failed to get a Number 1 keeper 

A complete disaster of a market, our midfield balance is a disaster. Too slow. Huddlestone past it

1 hour ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Agreed, but its criminal he keeps not getting started what does he have to do to start? Last season he done it so many times and basically won us the semi final in the play offs and then somehow didn't start over Nugent in the final? All I can think is maybe something in training is affecting the managers opinions of him?

If managers find him so objectionable in training ( complete speculation by the way) as to not play him till a game is unsalvageable then we may as well sell him and buy a natural goal scorer we will play. 

Personally some of the goals he’s scored for us since coming he would have to turn up with a purple tinny in his hand for me not to play him at the moment?

1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I dont blame cocu, not much he can do with league 1 standard midfielders and wingers (bar beilik and lawrence when he decides to turn up)

The recruitment team needs sacking. Failed to get a winger who can at least not lose the ball every time, failed to get an energetic box to box midfielder and failed to get a Number 1 keeper 

A complete disaster of a market, our midfield balance is a disaster. Too slow. Huddlestone past it

At the end of the window I was naively confident we could have a great season due to the hype around Rooney, the 1st game, Bielik signing ,Clarke looking good and Cocu seeming tactically astute, after seeing that I would take top half this season . Our midfield looks shocking, and Huddlestone shouldn't play for us anymore.

Everyone knew that 4-2-3-1 wasn’t going to work and everyone knew that we were going to create more with JM on the pitch. Everyone except the manager saw this he has to play 3-5-2 Saturday and play Marriott. If we don’t win Saturday that’s 3 home games without a win and that’s not good. Might need to win the forest game to give everyone a lift....

What did I miss, guys and girls? I spent the night playing mini golf with the family.

I have seen the highlights and the goals look really poor - especially the first one.

How was our overall performance compared to Swansea at home?

41 minutes ago, David said:

Well that ruins a few narratives, doesn't it ? I mean really, who'd have thought Jack might be being eased back into the side with an eye on the remaining 45 odd games to play. Unbelievable Jeff!

I guess if Cocu was to explain his every selection to every Derby fan, before during and after every game then some of these misunderstandings could be avoided. 

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

What did I miss, guys and girls? I spent the night playing mini golf with the family.

I have seen the highlights and the goals look really poor - especially the first one.

How was our overall performance compared to Swansea at home?

Abysmal- you picked a perfect night to play golf

5 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

At the end of the window I was naively confident we could have a great season due to the hype around Rooney, the 1st game, Bielik signing ,Clarke looking good and Cocu seeming tactically astute, after seeing that I would take top half this season . Our midfield looks shocking, and Huddlestone shouldn't play for us anymore.

Going for a past it rooney over a good winger and a cm was a huge mistake

Just now, Jourdan said:

When I think of abysmal, I think of Derby 1-4 Leeds.

Was it really that bad?

On the ball in terms of sloppiness and lack of creativity yes, defensively probably not  as  Bielik, Keogh and Clarke were not too bad but the individual mistakes for the goals were horrendous . Hard to compare, but overall that was probably worse IMO becuase Leeds played very well against us, where as Bristol city were bang average and showed little quality yet we somehow gifted them 2 goals.

Love it how the season is over after 4 games for some people! Seriously have a quiet word with yourselves.

Playoffs means late start to pre-season, new manager, new players and a really difficult fixture list to start the season, did anyone think it was going to be any different.

Find the right system and get everyone fit, we have an 11 that can challenge the top 6 (like about another 10 teams!)

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lets start him and see if he can make a whole game then!

We don’t know do we.  But I agree with the sentiment and start him.  He looks like he can cause teams problems every time he’s on the ball atm. never mind goals like tonight!

I think you’re right, no point bringing him on at 0-2 would rather start him and change at half time if his fitness is the problem ( if) 

2 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

I think you’re right, no point bringing him on at 0-2 would rather start him and change at half time if his fitness is the problem ( if) 

Bringing a player off at half-time only seems to happen to Malone! Apparently Marriott has a niggle that if it was to worsen would probably mean he'd be out for ages...so says Cocu. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

When? Besides the obvious error which bit specifically were atrocious? The diagonal to Bennett? The cleaning up of those ahead of him constant mess? The screaming and pointing to the left wing so he didn't have to keep going inside? 

Which bit apart from the error? He wasn't good and I'm not a fan. But apart from the error he did ok. Whereas the forward players were pooping out Bristol attacks. Huddlestone and Dowell just want to look pretty. 

We put so much pressure on our backline to defend, win the ball, build the attack, support the attack, lead the attack...

Im Not even thinking about the horrendous mistake 

His passing was soooo slow and ponderous, a chance to pass and easy ball  inside to keep the ball moving would present itself .. he’d wait , he’s wait, chance to pass it onto a free man gone and at best he just has to lay it back to a centre half...at worst he gave it away 

he was terrible, literally killed any momentum or attempt to build momentum 

a terrible terrible display capped by a horrendous mistake ... which perfectly summed up in a nutshell his performance ... indecisive 

He wasn’t alone, Dowell and Lawrence ... don’t get me started 

22 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Bit early to make your mind up were not going to have a great season mate.

Give it until around mid October or so then we might be able to tell. Four league games in is a tad premature to write the season off!

8 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Love it how the season is over after 4 games for some people! Seriously have a quiet word with yourselves.

Playoffs means late start to pre-season, new manager, new players and a really difficult fixture list to start the season, did anyone think it was going to be any different.

Find the right system and get everyone fit, we have an 11 that can challenge the top 6 (like about another 10 teams!)

It would be fine if we had Wilson, Mount et al to come in. Our squad is weaker than last season and we scraped in the playoffs.

Cocu needs to learn if you want to press you cannot play Huddlestone and Dowell in midfield. Both too slow in possession and out of it. Shinnie is not fancied but he cannot be any worse than those two. 

I don't want to be too negative, because I don't think it's all bad. We've certainly played worse and won. I think Bristol showed why they will be up there at the end of the season, both goals as frustrating as they are from our side were extremely well taken. Weimann showing that level of composure in the box - it was like watching a cat bark. The second, definitely down to Malone, but a very good dummy in the box made that goal. Both, had they panicked, would have blocked. Fair play to them for that. 

I felt the first half Bristol had a concise game plan that was very Rowett-esque. They targeted our physical weakness and relied on their individual quality. It worked as it did with Rowett when he was here. They will be there or thereabouts, big signing in Bentley who has always been a top keeper at this level. Baker was outstanding too. Brownhill is a grafter, ironically what we're lacking in that position. 

Cocu is tactically good, you can see his game plan and what he's trying. He's good at changing it up without disrupting too much, which isn't an easy job. I just think we lack quality in important positions - notably CM & WF - arguably two of the most important positions on the pitch in our system. I like the balance of the back three, once Bogle is back plus Lowe, we should be okay. I hope we push forward with that. I personally trust Cocu more than any other manager to get it right, I would just say the team doesn't have the quality it needs to at the moment - nothing more or less. 

Archived