v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

2 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Scary thing is that we haven’t played anyone good yet.

They need to wake up before West Brom because if they don’t they will get hammered.

The 3-5-2 is worth trying again, ideally with Holmes on the right.

Knight and Evans in the middle.

Mitchell-Lawson just behind Waghorn and Marriott.

Tell the underperformers to shape up or flock off.

Not many good sides to play this season, Leeds and Fulham will be our toughest games.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta feel for Cocu. At psv he had quality wingers like Lozano and a motivated Depay, whereas here he has to work with very average-borderline rubbish wingers like Lawrence, Jozefzoon and Bennett. It’s like splitting with your 10/10 fit blond girlfriend then ending up with a 2/10 overweight , smelly fat woman. 

Tonight showed how much we missed Duane Holmes, we need him as he will drive as defences and put them on the back foot, we were to easy to play against , too slow, sloppy and bang average! 

Playing Huddlestone further forward doesn’t work he’s too slow!

Some didn’t seem intrested! 

Two daft mistakes gave them the game. There were some good bits but the lack of fire when out of possession really bothers me.

Bristol defended well but also harried the rocks off us. They were hungry and clever. I’ll forgive Hudds his lack of speed given his style and advancing years but Dowell ? Wannabe premier league starlet ? .. get your finger out lad, concentrate, work - not good enough ! 

Bielik .. going to be good, Keogh played well again. 

Lowe .. probably our most dangerous player 

Great turn and shot for the goal by Jack.

miserable mood as always after a defeat. 

Liked cocu’s interview. He’s answered my prayers and provided an explanation for the jack Mariott situation. Also he seemed angry, which tbh I’m glad he’s capable of given his otherwise seemingly neutral demeanour. I have confidence in him at least.  

Just got back I am ducking lost for words at how bad that was, if we play like that on a consistent basis I won't be going becuase I will have a ducking heart attack at some point. I don't know where to start with that really I'm still raging like hell thinking about it. 2 disgraceful goals we gifted them, with the 2nd an absolutely shockingly poo bit of play from Malone, he was truly abysmal and I hope he doesn't play again after that, I would much rather see Buchanan play as he cant be any worse and looks more athletic and better technically. First half we looked devoid of ideas and Dowell played fowl , he was atrocious and looked like a non league player and that carried into the 2nd half.

Once we switched to 3 ATB we were marginally better , with a large part of that being down to Malone being taken off.  We tried and tried 2nd half but trying won't get you anywhere with a completely disjointed midfield and Huddlestone and Dowell playing like crap and Jozefoon having the worst crossing you will ever see at this level.  Marriott coming on made a difference and his goal was quality, I am praying he stays fit and gets a run in the starting 11 as we will need his goals on that evidence.  Overall we were absolutely horrendous and the false  optimism I had after Rooney signed and we looked decent against Huddersfield is shattered. 

My hope is that  Huddlestone ,Dowell and Malone are dropped for Saturday and other players  such as Evans, Knight and Marriott start, in the long term Holmes and Bogle will make a big difference, and there is potential for Paterson to play over Jozefoon or Dowell as he can't be much worse. In addition , I am hoping players like Mitchell-Lawson and Buchanan are given first team action, becuase with how shocking the senior players in their position played they would do well to be worse, and more than likely they would be an improvement. Its early days but ducking hell Cocu has got some serious work to do on that evidence, I would be disappointed but not majorly downbeat if this was a midtable transition season with youth given a chance . However, if we perform like that consistently and it would be beyond unacceptable no matter what the circumstances are. I really hope I am not this pissed off Saturday come 5PM or even worse after next Tuesday.

Tell ye what, if someone turned to me at the start of the season we'd only lose 1 of the opening 4 games, I'd of snapped their hand off. 

We have been johnnied by the fixture list this year, and tonight was solely a bad night.

Jack Marriott hopefully will start on Saturday, and as soon as Holmes is back too, we're gonna look twice the team.

Don't forget Wazza "hi rio do u want pickin up in the mornin pal" Rooney will be here in Jan.

We've got WBA, Forest, Brentford, Cardiff, Leeds, Brum up next. 6 seriously difficult games.

If we can get 8 or 9 points from them games, and turn over Forest, I'll be happy.

People seem to forget that this squad is near enough new. The lads are experiencing a whole other level of tactics, completely different formation changes, aswell as the new lads settling in.

It's not the end of the world after tonight, if we take how we played in the final 25 minutes and set that as a standard, we will be okay. Remember, we have an extremely difficult run of games. Stop slagging off the lads all over social media (Yes Malone made a shocking mistake but some of the comments I've seen are just embarrasing). Back our team, we've got a long road ahead and the boys need to gel and understand what our new coaching team want from them.

Win or lose, we're on the booze.

Up the Phillip Cocu's Derby County.

7 minutes ago, Sexydadbod said:

Gotta feel for Cocu. At psv he had quality wingers like Lozano and a motivated Depay, whereas here he has to work with very average-borderline rubbish wingers like Lawrence, Jozefzoon and Bennett. It’s like splitting with your 10/10 fit blond girlfriend then ending up with a 2/10 overweight , smelly fat woman. 

Surely you'd just have a bank instead?

I've said it for the past 2 seasons. Bennett is not good enough and he never ever will be. This will be the highest he ever plays at. Not the answer at all. Jozefzoon is pitiful. He's a winger who honestly couldn't cross a road.

I dont think we've got the players to suit this 4231. Maybe away from home it works. But I don't see the need to play 2 sitting midfilders at home.

No spark in midfield at all. I honestly think we're missing Holmes more than I thought we would. Could really do with him on the bench on Saturday.

Only 4 games in and the first defeat. I've seen us a lot worse. The defending for the first goal was bad. But what Malone was doing for the second goal I really don't know. I said at half time that will cost us. He also has the audacity to have a go at the fans. The blokes attitude stinks. I think as soon as Bogle is fit. Lowe will make that position his own. I'd like us to play 352. But I'd only consider that when Bogle is fit. Because the only option we have to play wingback is Jozefzoon and that's not good.

For Saturday I'd go with:-

Roos, Lowe, Keogh, Clarke, Shinnie (can't be worse) Bielik, Dowell, Knight, Waghorn, Lawrence Marriott.

Then when or if we have everyone fit:-

Roos

Keogh Bielik Clarke

Bogle.          Dowell               Lowe

Lawrence.     Holmes

Waghorn.        Marriott

I think this team will be seen in the not to distant future

Roos

Keogh Bielik Clarke 

bogle Dowell  Shinnie lowe

Lawrence 

Marriott Waghorn

subs Bennett Martin Davies Malone knight, keeper, another 

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Perhaps Shinnie will get a chance soon.

Cocu mentioned he certainly has some qualities, but needs to work with him and his team on what they want from him, but just perhaps, the robust unrefined midfielder to get stuck in is part of the learning about the championship that's needed as well. Or I could be talking mince. I'm not a football manager.

I agree, but I think the team will/should be very different in the coming months. Think he’s set up a group of players to look at probably to the first international break, which will give a chance for the youngsters to break in.

I’ve not been tonight, but I’d be worried if he wasn’t considering to use the likes of Shinnie at some point!

Thought you were toothless up front, and we were just as poor but would've struggled to not score after you basically gifted us 2 goals. 9 times out of 10 Wiemann takes that shot first time and misses, sods law that he puts it away against you. Surprised we sat so deep second half & let you play around the box but I guess it worked? Bad day at the office for both teams, but with a lot of new players each I can understand why. Think the reverse fixture will be like 2 different teams. Good luck for the rest of the season & please do the scummy baadiff/leeds next month.

4 minutes ago, Squid said:

Tell ye what, if someone turned to me at the start of the season we'd only lose 1 of the opening 4 games, I'd of snapped their hand off. 

We have been johnnied by the fixture list this year, and tonight was solely a bad night.

Jack Marriott hopefully will start on Saturday, and as soon as Holmes is back too, we're gonna look twice the team.

Don't forget Wazza "hi rio do u want pickin up in the mornin pal" Rooney will be here in Jan.

We've got WBA, Forest, Brentford, Cardiff, Leeds, Brum up next. 6 seriously difficult games.

If we can get 8 or 9 points from them games, and turn over Forest, I'll be happy.

People seem to forget that this squad is near enough new. The lads are experiencing a whole other level of tactics, completely different formation changes, aswell as the new lads settling in.

It's not the end of the world after tonight, if we take how we played in the final 25 minutes and set that as a standard, we will be okay. Remember, we have an extremely difficult run of games. Stop slagging off the lads all over social media (Yes Malone made a shocking mistake but some of the comments I've seen are just embarrasing). Back our team, we've got a long road ahead and the boys need to gel and understand what our new coaching team want from them.

Win or lose, we're on the booze.

Up the Phillip Cocu's Derby County.

1 win in 4  games is a crap start no matter how you think about it, points total of 5 isn't too bad  thinking truly objectively, but we have played 4 average teams so it is not acceptable. I know we will improve with Bogle back and players settling in, but  we are going to have to improve significantly on that showing.

Lowe - very impressive. 

Malone - abysmal 

Roos - I just can’t feel comfortable with him in goal, I know it’s probably rash but people bigged him up because of his ability with ball at feet but I’m not sure I agree. 

Keogh and Clark - more than happy with these as our two CBs 

Huddlestone - Jesus he’s never looked older than he did tonight, and his passing which is usually a redeeming feature seemed to desert him. 

Bielek - a little rusty but obvious that he’s a talent. 

Lawrence and Dowell - arguably brave enough to try things but questionable decision making. Both fluffed decent chances. 

Waghorn - a bit isolated at times, thankless task when we give a team 2 goals and allow them to soak up pressure. 

Marriott - get him fit and fast

The main takeaways for me (I’m trying to remain positive) is that Lowe should be our first choice left back. Looks like the fullback from last pre season. Marriott is going to be crucial. Bielek will be a more mobile and combative version of Huddlestone. 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think this team will be seen in the not to distant future

Roos

Keogh Bielik Clarke 

bogle Dowell  Shinnie lowe

Lawrence 

Marriott Waghorn

subs Bennett Martin Davies Malone knight, keeper, another 

Please not Dowell holding midfielder, we would be truly ducked with his lack of defensive ability. I'm hoping Knight plays ahead of him if we use a 433 or Evan if we go with your set up.

Archived