v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

My angry ratings that may change

Roos - 6 Meh

Lowe - 8 best attacking midfielder, winger and fullback in one evening 

Keogh - 7 Didn't drive into space or step up when he could have 

Clarke - 7 same

Malone - 6 He'll get the hate but for much of the first half he did fine with zero options down the left. 

Bielik - 6 A few sloppy moments but plenty of promise.

Huddlestone - 4 Doesn't protect his backline, looks elegant but personally I think he's crap and have done for a while. Putting nice back spin here and there doesn't win me over.

Bennett - 5 You know the John Smith's advert where they're all doing kick ups and Peter Kay comes and boots the ball away? "Ave it!". Couldn't do anything intricate

Dowell - 4 Give him 15 games before deciding whether you rate him or not? I'd rather give one of our youngsters the time. He hasn't had success in this league before and an awfully defended ball into Waghorn at Stoke is as promising as I've seen from him. 

Lawrence - 5 got some sympathy because he never really had much to play off. Probably can blame others for his lack of chances to shine. 

Waghorn - 4 A first touch on the 18 yard box and his second on the halfway line. I don't know how he played upfront on his own for Ipswich but I'm assuming it was chasing passes in behind? Back to goal looking to play off? Awful. 

Marriott - 8 made a pass, had a shot. A unique approach to the last stage of attack. Might not catch on. 

Jozefzoon - 6 we're counting how many times he passed backwards? Well it at least went to a teammate which is something that would have helped us get to half time at 0-0

Knight - 6 Never really got chance to showcase much for the same reasons as Lawrence. Circumstances didn't suit him. 

A Derby performance that would have passed for ok if it wasn't for 3 or 4 donkeys. Now I'm not saying they are always donkeys. But a spectacular feck up of basics control and simple passes.

A lot of the passes that lead to Bristol attacks were not even ambitious. Just simple outlet passes. Halfwits 

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Marriott has provided some hope right at the end. 

I would actually like to see something like this next game:

Roos
            Keogh          Clarke
Bennett           Bielik            Lowe
            Knight         Shinnie
                    Lawrence 
            Waghorn     Marriott

Bring Martin back on the bench in case Waggy has another game like that. He might not score but at least he has a good first touch still!

I saw enough from Lowe, Keogh, Clarke, Bielik and Marriott in that game to maintain confidence for the season.

We just need to find our best team and kick on from there.

New manager. New league for him. Lots of new players. Short and stilted pre season. 

We'll get there. COYR!

Id love to see the same (Buchanan for Bennett though), but if Marriotts on the bench for playing too much golf or whatever i assume Shinnie has actually killed a man since he cant even make the squad, so doubt it will happen.

2 minutes ago, EraniosSocks said:

My first game this evening in 5 years due to anxiety and mental health issues that I have posted about before. So thank you to all the fans in the lower west stand that made me feel so welcome just with a smile.

anyways, the football. Reminded me about of macs style of play this evening, a bit methodical. But there was plus points, Beilik - Lowe - Marriott, all deserve a plus point. 

Huddlestone and Dowell, annoying. Tom Lawrence kept drifting out of position, has he been told just to roam around the pitch ? He started joining max Lowe at one stage! 

Oh well, roll on Saturday. Retain the ball and press. That’s what we need to do  

Yes

Stupid mistakes for the goals, and far too many passes placed poorly/given away today. 

I liked the change in formation, especially against a side holding on. Only issue was Jozefzoon's delivery was poor and he looked way too scared to take on his man when he had the chance to. I think we'd have been better with Bennett staying wide, given the lack of defending to do in that second half - his pace created a good chance first half and I'd have loved to have seen him in the positions Jozefzoon found himself in second half.

Slightly concerned by how Bielik seems to always be about to fall over ? 

Not too down after that tbh. A loss always sucks but it wasnt a complete travesty. More worried that Bristol looked pants and we still lost haha

Malone, Jozefzoon (specifically his crossing and lack thereof) and Dowell were the worst parts of that performance imo.

4 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Stupid mistakes cost us. Thought the build up was good all game (obviously helped as they were defending a lead for most of it). I’m sure our fan base will over-react as usual but plenty of positives. Dowell had a poor game but in my opinion it was his first. Bielik good defensively but should be given no attacking responsibilities

No excuses for Zoon anymore, shouldn’t be near the first team squad. Lawrence, Paterson, Bennett, Knight, Mitchell-Lawson and the kitman should all be ahead of him. 

You what?! He looked comfortable on the ball. Far more positive than anything Huddlestone was managing today, or than Evans offers us.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How MANY times has JoFlo just played the ball back rather than take on his man?!

Unfortunately, he hasn’t got the speed or skill to beat his man.

All a bit academic thought if you can’t cross a ball.

TBF Zoon wasn’t the reason we lost tonight 

I really dislike Bristol fans. Tinpot bunch, cider is poo anyway you twits. 

We were awful tonight. That first half was the worst we've played in some time. Huddlestone was miles off the pace, as he was at Stoke. If he isn't dropped on Saturday, then I'll be shocked.

Dowell was shocking too. Sloppy passing, dribbling when he should be moving the ball on quickly. Nightmare performance.

Bielik, good second half, first half was a bit slack with his passing. 

Malone just isn't good enough. Subbed off at Stoke at half time, and subbed off today. Don't like him at all.

I'll start with the obvious question, what the hell does Marriott have to do to earn a start?! The guy is far too good to be on our bench, and if we don't start playing him, he'll leave. Waghorn was pretty piss poor tonight. Why does Jason Knight not get the nod over Huddlestone? He's much more mobile, and looks much more hungry whenever he plays. When will we next get more than a 5/10 performance from Lawrence?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Watched every single minute of it. Bristol looked dangerous at will, we didn't. More like dangerous by accident mostly.

They didnt look dangerous at will. Apart from the goals, which we gave them, they really didnt offer much, hence the frustration & disappointment.

They have had the same manager building them up for several seasons. We dont and Cocu and the team need time to gell. It will happen.

3 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Id love to see the same (Buchanan for Bennett though), but if Marriotts on the bench for playing too much golf or whatever i assume Shinnie has actually killed a man since he cant even make the squad, so doubt it will happen.

I think he hit a big slice of the 5th tee and hit a green keeper ?

Still early days. Lets see where we are after 15 games. 

Its been said before, but the lack of a planned pre season, lack of signings until the last minute and a new coach isnt helping. 

My 1 concern: Does Cocu understand the championship? Lets face it, he's used to working with a better quality of player at a higher level. Yes he's got Rosenior in as a sounding board but my experience of the Dutch is that they are very self assured and have a touch of arrogance. 

That can be a strength when things are going well, but also a major weakness when its not. 

Hopefully we can see a gradual improvement as he settles in, and the top 6 doesnt become out of touch before we hit our straps.   

Just now, Ruda Harliss said:

Unfortunately, he hasn’t got the speed or skill to beat his man.

All a bit academic thought if you can’t cross a ball.

TBF Zoon wasn’t the reason we lost tonight 

Why wasn't it? He had masses of possession and did nothing, bar a sideways pass to Jack, with it. There was one particular attempt of his at a cross when no-one else would stand behind him to be passed to, that flew over the bar in an inelegant manner, that was particularly funny. 

15 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

We actually played well for large periods of the game. We made two silly errors that we paid for. Second half we were the better team but Bristol City sat in - and why wouldn't they? They're away from home and 0-2 up.

I agree with the going the over the top bit, but do you really believe this? Do you genuinely believe we looked like scoring at any point? We had a lot of possession which they gifted us, but we didn't really create anything clear cut, Marriott scored a wonder goal, but I think we could have played another 30 minutes and not scored.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

My angry ratings that may change

Roos - 6 Meh

Lowe - 8 best attacking midfielder, winger and fullback in one evening 

Keogh - 7 Didn't drive into space or step up when he could have 

Clarke - 7 same

Malone - 6 He'll get the hate but for much of the first half he did fine with zero options down the left. 

Bielik - 6 A few sloppy moments but plenty of promise.

Huddlestone - 4 Doesn't protect his backline, looks elegant but personally I think he's crap and have done for a while. Putting nice back spin here and there doesn't win me over.

Bennett - 5 You know the John Smith's advert where they're all doing kick ups and Peter Kay comes and boots the ball away? "Ave it!". Couldn't do anything intricate

Dowell - 4 Give him 15 games before deciding whether you rate him or not? I'd rather give one of our youngsters the time. He hasn't had success in this league before and an awfully defended ball into Waghorn at Stoke is as promising as I've seen from him. 

Lawrence - 5 got some sympathy because he never really had much to play off. Probably can blame others for his lack of chances to shine. 

Waghorn - 4 A first touch on the 18 yard box and his second on the halfway line. I don't know how he played upfront on his own for Ipswich but I'm assuming it was chasing passes in behind? Back to goal looking to play off? Awful. 

Marriott - 8 made a pass, had a shot. A unique approach to the last stage of attack. Might not catch on. 

Jozefzoon - 6 we're counting how many times he passed backwards? Well it at least went to a teammate which is something that would have helped us get to half time at 0-0

Knight - 6 Never really got chance to showcase much for the same reasons as Lawrence. Circumstances didn't suit him. 

A Derby performance that would have passed for ok if it wasn't for 3 or 4 donkeys. Now I'm not saying they are always donkeys. But a spectacular feck up of basics control and simple passes.

A lot of the passes that lead to Bristol attacks were not even ambitious. Just simple outlet passes. Halfwits 

You’ve given Malone a 6???

is that for being kind enough to not come out for the second half ??

he was atrocious

1 minute ago, Abu Dhabi Ram said:

They didnt look dangerous at will. Apart from the goals, which we gave them, they really didnt offer much, hence the frustration & disappointment.

They had three shots on target to our four. They were two up at half-time, one up for most of the match. They looked dangerous whenever they could be bothered to go forward. We didn't. (Bar Jack)

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Slightly concerned by how Bielik seems to always be about to fall over ? 

Not too down after that tbh. A loss always sucks but it wasnt a complete travesty. More worried that Bristol looked pants and we still lost haha

Malone, Jozefzoon (specifically his crossing and lack thereof) and Dowell were the worst parts of that performance imo.

You can't let Huddlestone off mate. He can make a simple pass look a thing of beauty but he's not good. 

Archived