v Bristol City (H) Match Thread

Parsnip

Tuesday 20th August

KO 19.45

Bristol City are the first of two very tough back to back home games for the unbeatable Rams this week. Cocu will be aware of one or two big players knocking on his door for a start.

We're not scared of Andi Weimann are we?

COYR!

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Important we win this IMO, don't win this and an average start turn into a poor one, win it and an average start becomes a promising start. Obviously it is early days but with some tough games coming up , I think it is important we win this one. I'd like to see us drop Huddlestone for Bielik and drop Jozefoon  for Paterson, and also swap Evans for Knight and play a 4 33with Bielik holding.

Just now, Marriott Ram99 said:

Important we win this IMO, don't win this and an average start turn into a poor one, win it and an average start becomes a promising start. Obviously it is early days but with some tough games coming up , I think it is important we win this one. I'd like to see us drop Huddlestone for Bielik and drop Jozefoon  for Paterson, and also swap Evans for Knight and play a 4 33with Bielik holding.

Thought Paterson wasn't allowed to play against the club he's being loaned from

Roos

Lowe - Keogh - Clarke - Malone

Huddlestone - Bielik

Jozefzoon - Dowell - Lawrence

Waghorn

I don't think Cocu will change too much for the time being. With Holmes and Bogle injured and Bennett and Marriott still finding full fitness, he is quite limited in what he can do in any case. He could perhaps start Knight in midfield but that would be throwing him in the deep end.

I just hope Jozefzoon or Dowell can step up with a performance to reward Cocu's patience.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

Roos

Keogh           Clarke

Lowe                            Bielik                        Malone

Dowell                      Knight

Lawrence

Marriott                       Waghorn

Please? 

Exactly what I would go with. We need to just scrap using wingers. Simply do not have enough quality out there. Marriott and Waggy together would cause some damage. 

9 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Roos

Keogh           Clarke

Lowe                            Bielik                        Malone

Dowell                      Knight

Lawrence

Marriott                       Waghorn

Please? 

It's a nice idea, but I don't think Cocu would want to leave us potentially so open. You're asking a lot of Keogh, Clarke and Bielik in this formation to cover where gaps might appear.

Bristol City are a very athletic and dynamic side. We might carry more threat with this line up, but we could also get picked off on the counter attack.

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It's a nice idea, but I don't think Cocu would want to leave us potentially so open. You're asking a lot of Keogh, Clarke and Bielik in this formation to cover where gaps might appear.

Bristol City are a very athletic and dynamic side. We might carry more threat with this line up, but we could also get picked off on the counter attack.

They can't counter-attack goals.

22 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

True, I think we would loose with that line up. it lacks any physical presence in the midfield if Bielik is CB and Marriott and Waghorn would end up being starved of service if we relied on our fullbacks for width.

I would go with;

Roos

Lowe Keogh Clarke Malone

Bielik 

Knight Dowell

Waghorn Marriott Lawrence

15 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

They can't counter-attack goals.

We have scored 5 goals in 4 games in all competitions. It's hardly a crisis, is it?

Why would we go so gung-ho against a dangerous Bristol City side?

Something like what Ambitious suggested might be worth a try if we are chasing a game, but from the start, it seems risky.

Roos

Keogh Bielik Clarke

Bennett            Huddlestone                 Lawrence

Dowell  Shinnie

Waghorn Marriott

3-5-2.

Lets not try play with a RB or RW if we haven't got any. 

I think we'll only see 1 or 2 changes and a similar system to the start of today's match.

But then. playing games will hopefully get them better at playing together in that set up - seems to be a modern trend to go "it didn't work, must change" very quickly.  It appears we are basically organised, show flashes of threat going forwards and general solidity in defence.

A win at home to Bristol and I think all will be rosy in the garden. a loss and despite the grumbling, it's a losable game against a side who narrowly missed out last season isn't a disaster with so much football left to be played.

For saying all that, I hope they give radio Derby cause to moderate the gloom mongering.

23 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think we'll only see 1 or 2 changes and a similar system to the start of today's match.

But then. playing games will hopefully get them better at playing together in that set up - seems to be a modern trend to go "it didn't work, must change" very quickly.  It appears we are basically organised, show flashes of threat going forwards and general solidity in defence.

A win at home to Bristol and I think all will be rosy in the garden. a loss and despite the grumbling, it's a losable game against a side who narrowly missed out last season isn't a disaster with so much football left to be played.

For saying all that, I hope they give radio Derby cause to moderate the gloom mongering.

We had already lost twice at this same stage last season and lost 12 games from 46 in total.

With the signings of Bielik and Clarke and his preference for Huddlestone and Evans in the games so far, clearly Cocu wants us to be solid and hard to beat first and foremost, and then build from there.

Given the squad at his disposal and given that he is still finding his feet in the new role, it seems quite sensible to me.

Archived