Wayne Rooney - Signed on a 18 month deal

LB_DCFC

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ThePrisoner said:

Mel said it was to strengthen the global brand and commercial opportunities. 

Yeah basically what I said purely money based , would of made sense for everybody for him to join now so he is well into the swing of championship football by Christmas but instead hes joining after 25 games or more have been played and by then he has played a full season in America then is thrown into a tough demanding league playing twice a week or more at his age after a full season in mls?? Alarm bells ringing 

3 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I feel like the main reason he is agreeing today and being unveiled to the media even though he isnt playing until January is purely a pr stunt to generate revenue and hype etc before he joins , all about money

Exactly that, why not maximise on our potential returns. 

Well done Mel a master stroke ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Gutted he isn't signing until January.

1. He will have played a full season in America, how much of our half a season will he feature in, given that at 33 his body will probably be ready for a rest.

2. If he gets injured between now and Jan all this excitement could be for nothing, we could end up with an Esteban Feuertes situation where we finally get a decent striker and then lady luck strikes.

If we were signing him today and he became our player immediately I would be ecstatic, signing in January and I think Mel is using this mainly as fantastic PR.

Either way still a wonderfully bit of business by the club.

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I'm assuming that if he doesn't sign officially til Jan he can't be allocated a squad number??  Shame, as a lot of shirts can be sold between now and then...

That will be a lot of Christmas presents easily sorted this year.

Also the marketing of half season tickets should be fairly easy for the  Derby County sales team this year.

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Posted this in another thread but thought it might be needed here, too:

Mel Morris speaking about Wayne Rooney on TalkSport: "We understood Wayne was keen to return to the UK. The key thing for me was the conversation he had with Phillip Cocu. It's never done until it's done but we're obviously focused and very keen to get this over the line this morning. I'm confident that this is something we'll get sorted out. I can guarantee you Phillip Cocu is as excited as I am. We see nothing in this deal that will change our stance on FFP."

We are definately going to flog something else to ourselves soon. ?

Although its a bit disappointing hes not signing to play now,  I'm just pleased we're signing him it seems a bit spoilt to be complaining after signing Rooney that we can't play him straight away as it's an amazing deal for us to make. Hopefully by the time he plays for us we will be top of the league and he will come in to get us over the line and ensure we don't bottle it for once by playing a key part in the business end of the season. I don't expect this to be our only business, if we can get 2 other players in (maybe Ayew or Ibe as one) ,with Beilik to still to come in we should be fine without him. With a few weeks rest and then all of December as his pre season he should be able to come in straight away and make an impact.

2 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Got a feeling that we may start him anyway if he is out of form ect as he is also a coach.

Why would you think that? Cocu is the manager, not Rooney. If he thinks Rooney isn't playing well, he won't play Rooney. Simple as.

Certainly can't fault Mel for his ambition and commitment to the club.? Thinking outside the box ,extraordinary bit of PR  and presumably commercial business.Love it?.

My only concern is Rooneys ability to coach, not convinced he is a particularly good role model.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

Mel Morris doing his best Harry Redknapp impersonation @12:29 timestamp.

Says whats already been reported - very near to being completed, will join in January, looking forwards to working with Cocu.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed he's not joining asap but can understand him wanting to finish the MLS season, have a holiday and join us in January.  Assuming he stays fit, it does guarantee us a quality signing in January for a change which will give us a huge boost for the second half of the season.

It will be interesting to see whether we're still in for 1 or 2 others before the transfer window shuts now, another couple of quality players and we'll really be in the mix again this season.

COYR

7 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Although its a bit disappointing hes not signing to play now,  I'm just pleased we're signing him it seems a bit spoilt to be complaining after signing Rooney that we can't play him straight away as it's an amazing deal for us to make. Hopefully by the time he plays for us we will be top of the league and he will come in to get us over the line and ensure we don't bottle it for once by playing a key part in the business end of the season. I don't expect this to be our only business, if we can get 2 other players in (maybe Ayew or Ibe as one) ,with Beilik to still to come in we should be fine without him. With a few weeks rest and then all of December as his pre season he should be able to come in straight away and make an impact.

hopefully sorts out our traditional early year dip in form!

For everyone worrying about Rooney having played a full MLS season, the MLS cup final is on the 10th of November. So even if his team go all the way, he still gets nearly two full months before he's eligible to play in January.

4 minutes ago, Anon said:

For everyone worrying about Rooney having played a full MLS season, the MLS cup final is on the 10th of November. So even if his team go all the way, he still gets nearly two full months before he's eligible to play in January.

Surely he would need a chunk of that adjusting to championship football training with the team etc?? Or are you not allowed to train with the team until being registered??

Archived