Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Christ can you imagine?  That's like going from Kelly Brook to Gemma Collins...

you make it sound bad, but if you look like Ian Dowie, you can't moan. We are more of a Chris Moyles right now!

9 hours ago, HantsRam said:

And then spunked the 60m on utter dross so we nearly got bankrupted again.

Promotion is NOT a leap forward without the infrastructure and a plan in place.

We never spent £60 million at all. We spent about 10. 

Ownership issues were a problem. We had targets and ended up with our 5th or 6th choice. We had no infrastructure then at all. 

We do now.

25 minutes ago, rynny said:

Can we have a manager that people can spell his name? Unfortunately that rules out McLaren, Hughton, Wassell, More and Keough as player manager... 

It is Hughton, that's the right spelling. Interestingly his full name is Christopher William Gerard Hughton so maybe the Gerard (another one for the mis-spelling team) rumours are true????

You did miss out Rowett from that list, whose correct name is spelled S-N-A-K-E.

9 hours ago, IslandExile said:

@Nuwtfly you're right. Being without a manager is amongst the most stressful times as a fan... Worrying over which clown you're going to end up with.

I felt reassured by Mel's comments today though about continuing the attacking football and using kids from the academy as and when they're good enough.

So did I.

But I remember previous managers who have come in saying they are going to do this - and then not.

I think it's about time for my annual Simo Valakari post. He ticks some of the boxes, but not all...

Did hell of job in Finland with good resources.

Has somehow managed to keep Tromssø in top league basically using only academy players.

His teams plays possession based, attacking football.

Unfortunately, not a high profile name in football and after one good season I'm pretty sure Motherwell is not gonna spend 4 millions to sign him. We might actually have some stability and we all know that's a big no no.

45 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

It is Hughton, that's the right spelling. Interestingly his full name is Christopher William Gerard Hughton so maybe the Gerard (another one for the mis-spelling team) rumours are true????

You did miss out Rowett from that list, whose correct name is spelled S-N-A-K-E.

Bloody @David auto correct, I had put H0ughton ?

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Just don't get the Wassall hate from some, it really is uncalled for IMO. What did the man do to deserve this? He answered the call from our Chairman to fill in till the end of a season, was in charge for 18 games, won half of them FFS, yes 50%, got us in the play offs and when asked to stand down and put up with vitriol from the fans, he knuckles down and does a great job with the academy.

If there is anyone in football at the moment who deserves to be "promoted from within a club" more than Daren Wassall....feel free to point him out.

I think Wassall does a good job where he is but rarely does promoting from youth level manager to first team ever work I can’t think of any ...Wassall may be a good bloke but it is difficult to get the respect of players when you’ve been promoted from within the same organisation and this can often be the same in industry ....Wassall is doing a good job where he is why not let that lie and bring in someone who will get the place buzzing again ...at the moment there is not one name apart from Arteta that would really excite me ...Big Dave would be a mistake in my view ....We are a big enough club to tempt someone like Arteta and his links with both City and Arsenal could be good regarding loans ....but whoever we get not everyone will be happy ...I think Frank brought a lot of the fans together and that will be missed ...next man????? Who knows but bookies list looks depressing 

2 hours ago, Slim charles said:

If the bookies are right with their list then it's beginning to look pretty depressing! 

I like the Barnsley manager but it appears he's well out of it,

Moore - great guy but couldn't do the job at WBA with probably the best squad in the division. 

Neville - dressing like Southgate doesn't make you a good manager

Cowley - awful football

Wassell - please God no!! People on here must be forgetting how embarrassing it was last time, there was a reason he became Darren Waffle! Never forget after his first game he came out and said the players had been 'absolutely brilliant' and he thought we were 'fantastic'........after a 1 nill loss at home to the soon to be relegated MK find! I was there and we definitely weren't fantastic or brilliant!!

Hoping the bookies have missed someone and an out of the blue candidate turns up!

Mel always has something up his sleeve. I agree, none of the names particuarly inspire me. I like the sound of Stendel and I'd love us to go for him,. But I genuinely think that Mel may pull something completely unexpected out of his hat and surprise us all. It's the Uncle Mel way (isn't that right, Steve Gibson?)

2 hours ago, Rample said:

What sort of footy are England women playing - I have little to no interest of actually watching it myself. 

Playing attractive football. 4-3-3, possession based attacking football played out from the back. Looks attractive and has been successful. Sloppy play has seen a few defensive errors but I think we've looked better against teams who look to attack, instead of those who stifle England. As another poster rightly says, we've lost possession a little too frequently but, and this is in no way a knock against the ladies' team, but I'd imagine that the style may be successful if aligned to technical players so would be reliant on who we sign.

I'd be concerned about Phil Neville. Clearly has the makings of a good coach. But it would be a big jump from ladies' football and from international football to the rough and tumble of the championship. He'd be an unknown quantity. But, given what the quality of the 'known quantities' that we're being linked with is, I wouldn't be completely opposed.

1 hour ago, Edtheram said:

Not confident that Cowley would improve us, his football and tactics are closer to Snakes than Lampards.

Moore and or Wassell no thank you. Moore didn't show much at WBA and Wassell is better suited to an academy role not a managers role.

Neville? Is he going to leave the England role mid tournament and join us? Mel said that we need someone in before Monday so for me that rules out Neville.

Carrick? Not sure a bit like Lampard as he hasn't managed before, would be another risk.

Hughton, Gerrard or Monk - I would be happy with any, i like one more than the others but any i would be confident for next season if we started the campaign with any of those names at the helm.

Lee Johnson? Barnsley Manager? Neil? - Alot of names who are still working who would be very good for us. I hope its all sorted by Saturday.

I don't think Mel said anything of the sort about having to have someone in by Monday. For one thing, Lampard hasn't even met with Chelsea yet - will be tomorrow most likely. Lampard will probably still be here on Monday. Mel said that we would 'start speaking to out of contract managers' from now on. He then said that that was only whilst Lampard was still here. Even if we do only go down that route, anybody who thinks we will have a new manager in place by Monday is out of their mind. But in all likelihood, we will probably speak to out of contract managers and then, once Lampard is confirmed as gone, will look to other manager's currently in employment as well.

Ergo, we will not have a new manager in place by Monday. If we go for Phil Neville I really can't see why he'd need to walk out on England two days before a potential semi final of the World Cup. I reckon that Mel might be flexible enough to let him have that game first.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

you make it sound bad, but if you look like Ian Dowie, you can't moan. We are more of a Chris Moyles right now!

WTF!!  I know we're not exactly Brad Pitt but we're more than a Moyles!!  We're more of a Dermot O'Leary...

3 minutes ago, Saity said:

I think Wassall does a good job where he is but rarely does promoting from youth level manager to first team ever work I can’t think of any

A certain bald fraud comes to mind. I seem to recall that he's done ok since being promoted from the Barca youth set up. There's another bald fraud at Madrid who won the CL three times after being promoted from managing the youth team.

12 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Ergo, we will not have a new manager in place by Monday. If we go for Phil Neville I really can't see why he'd need to walk out on England two days before a potential semi final of the World Cup. I reckon that Mel might be flexible enough to let him have that game first.

Is it acceptable (or within the rules even) to be manager of one EFL club, whilst being co-owner of another?

Archived