Suggestions for the next Derby manager

Here's a name to spark a debate and before anyone/everyone sets on me, I'm not suggesting that we give him the job but, despite not liking the man, I think he did a pretty good job in his first season as a manager at Fleetwood - Joey Barton anyone?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, old ilkestonian said:

Here's a name to spark a debate and before anyone/everyone sets on me, I'm not suggesting that we give him the job but, despite not liking the man, I think he did a pretty good job in his first season as a manager at Fleetwood - Joey Barton anyone?

That is the joint worst suggestion I've seen today, along with Savage. 

5 minutes ago, old ilkestonian said:

No debate over?

1 minute ago, rynny said:

That is the joint worst suggestion I've seen today, along with Savage. 

Would certainly reignite the Leeds rivalry a bit when he inevitably sparks out Bielsa on the Elland Road touchline

6 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

I'd accept Moore as manager, but i wouldnt be particularly excited by it. It also suggests Garry Monk who is too much of a risk and the Cowleys who play the exact opposite of what we want, so i wouldnt read too much into the article.

I wonder how much the vacancy at Newcastle will end up affecting Derby's search for a new manager. Even with the issues surrounding investment and Mike Ashley's running of the club, you would have to say that that job would still be the more attractive one to go for for most prospective managers, even if it's solely down to them being in the Premier League. Other than that vacancy and the Chelsea one (which would inevitably be filled if we were getting a new manager), Derby are the only other vacancy in the top two divisions of English football. If Newcastle get a new manager in quick we could well have the pick of the bunch for free managers in this country or who are interested in managing in this country, but if they dawdle it might have a few adverse consequences on our own search.

3 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

It is depressing but whoever we appoint it's going to have that effect. Frank wasn't and still isn't a big name in football management, but is a huge name in football terms. Whoever comes in they're got some boots to fill thou.

I'm just bored now with it all (like most), bye Frank, thanks Frank, loan us a few good kids Frank and lets hope Mel appoints asap. The guy at Lincoln seems an interesting choice too me. 

Serious question.

If all of us were asked to go and put a tenner on who do we think Mel will appoint next who would it be? 

Personally I'd stick a tenner on Darren Moore. I'm just convinced that's where Mel will go.

I'd be a bit meh about Moore. The appointment wouldn't excite me at all. I wouldn't be angry with it. I'd back him and I'd get behind the boys. He's managed less games than Frank Lampard. So just as inexperienced. I think he'd be ok. We could do worse but we could also do better. For what's it worth, I think he was unjustly sacked at West Brom.

Of all the managers out of work, for me, Chris Hughton is head and shoulders above anyone. An appointment like that would make me confident going into the season and I wouldn't feel that way about Moore.

This next managerial appointment is absolutely huge for us. It has to be right. 

I might be in the minority here. But I couldn't care less what the football is like if we got promoted. If someone offered me Karanka now. Football wouldn't be brilliant but you'd finish 2nd. I'd take it. We need promotion. We need the riches of the Premier League. That's why we go. To see our club at the top table and out of every manager available I honestly think that Hughton is the most likely to achieve that.

But from the sound of Mel's interview today. I doubt he's even being considered.

5 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Serious question.

If all of us were asked to go and put a tenner on who do we think Mel will appoint next who would it be? 

Personally I'd stick a tenner on Darren Moore. I'm just convinced that's where Mel will go.

I'd be a bit meh about Moore. The appointment wouldn't excite me at all. I wouldn't be angry with it. I'd back him and I'd get behind the boys. He's managed less games than Frank Lampard. So just as inexperienced. I think he'd be ok. We could do worse but we could also do better. For what's it worth, I think he was unjustly sacked at West Brom.

Of all the managers out of work, for me, Chris Hughton is head and shoulders above anyone. An appointment like that would make me confident going into the season and I wouldn't feel that way about Moore.

This next managerial appointment is absolutely huge for us. It has to be right. 

I might be in the minority here. But I couldn't care less what the football is like if we got promoted. If someone offered me Karanka now. Football wouldn't be brilliant but you'd finish 2nd. I'd take it. We need promotion. We need the riches of the Premier League. That's why we go. To see our club at the top table and out of every manager available I honestly think that Hughton is the most likely to achieve that.

But from the sound of Mel's interview today. I doubt he's even being considered.

Hope? Stendel. 

Think? Monk. Moore.

9 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I might be in the minority here. But I couldn't care less what the football is like if we got promoted. If someone offered me Karanka now. Football wouldn't be brilliant but you'd finish 2nd. I'd take it. 

I wouldn't. That would be awful.

I think it's possible to play entertaining football and still get promoted.

Mel also raised the point about clubs having to go ultra defensive to try and survive in the Premier if they cannot splash the cash. And noone mention that season.

Looking at the odds, I'm starting to get a bit worried about who we might end up with.

Not many names that excite, and half that do are currently employed by clubs.

I really liked the noises Mel was coming out with today, but I'm worried the appointment he's going to make is going to be a massive step backwards, when this could be an opportunity to make a step forward.

Maybe it's just because it's late and I'm getting a bit twitchy, but a lot of the names I'm reading on this thread and making me feel seriously concerned for next season. ?

@Nuwtfly you're right. Being without a manager is amongst the most stressful times as a fan... Worrying over which clown you're going to end up with.

I felt reassured by Mel's comments today though about continuing the attacking football and using kids from the academy as and when they're good enough.

5 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I wouldn't. That would be awful.

I think it's possible to play entertaining football and still get promoted.

Mel also raised the point about clubs having to go ultra defensive to try and survive in the Premier if they cannot splash the cash. And noone mention that season.

It wouldn't be awful if we got promoted though. Football under Billy Davies was pretty bad. Would win by a goal on most occasions. 

Archived