Suggestions for the next Derby manager

13 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Mel always has something up his sleeve. I agree, none of the names particuarly inspire me. I like the sound of Stendel and I'd love us to go for him,. But I genuinely think that Mel may pull something completely unexpected out of his hat and surprise us all. It's the Uncle Mel way (isn't that right, Steve Gibson?)

Playing attractive football. 4-3-3, possession based attacking football played out from the back. Looks attractive and has been successful. Sloppy play has seen a few defensive errors but I think we've looked better against teams who look to attack, instead of those who stifle England. As another poster rightly says, we've lost possession a little too frequently but, and this is in no way a knock against the ladies' team, but I'd imagine that the style may be successful if aligned to technical players so would be reliant on who we sign.

I'd be concerned about Phil Neville. Clearly has the makings of a good coach. But it would be a big jump from ladies' football and from international football to the rough and tumble of the championship. He'd be an unknown quantity. But, given what the quality of the 'known quantities' that we're being linked with is, I wouldn't be completely opposed.

I don't think Mel said anything of the sort about having to have someone in by Monday. For one thing, Lampard hasn't even met with Chelsea yet - will be tomorrow most likely. Lampard will probably still be here on Monday. Mel said that we would 'start speaking to out of contract managers' from now on. He then said that that was only whilst Lampard was still here. Even if we do only go down that route, anybody who thinks we will have a new manager in place by Monday is out of their mind. But in all likelihood, we will probably speak to out of contract managers and then, once Lampard is confirmed as gone, will look to other manager's currently in employment as well.

Ergo, we will not have a new manager in place by Monday. If we go for Phil Neville I really can't see why he'd need to walk out on England two days before a potential semi final of the World Cup. I reckon that Mel might be flexible enough to let him have that game first.

Bold statement this.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I've tried to keep out of this thread as much as possible.

I'm guessing it's not 90 pages of different suggestions?

No there’s some brilliant insight about Derby County, its fans and its players on p33.

Haha got you - no it’s just suggestions, none of which are particularly inspiring but then that’s to be expected after Frank.

8 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Is it acceptable (or within the rules even) to be manager of one EFL club, whilst being co-owner of another?

Good point - suspect not. Scholes had to receive special dispensation from the EFL to be manager of Oldham whilst Salford were non league.

14 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Good point - suspect not. Scholes had to receive special dispensation from the EFL to be manager of Oldham whilst Salford were non league.

It would not be a massive hurdle for him to resign from the Salford board and transfer his shareholding to his wife IF he was to be offered the Derby job AND he wanted to accept it.

32 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I've tried to keep out of this thread as much as possible.

I'm guessing it's not 90 pages of different suggestions?

I will summarise for you. First 50 pages were mostly people wanting Hughton. The next 10 were more mixed between Stendl and going back to the stone age with the Cowleys and the last 10 for some unknown reason have been arguments about whether Wassall would be a good manager or not.

6 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

It would not be a massive hurdle for him to resign from the Salford board and transfer his shareholding to his wife IF he was to be offered the Derby job AND he wanted to accept it.

If Phil Neville is even remotely considered for the Derby job, and I really can’t think of one good reason, I promise I will sit and watch an entire game of womens’ football,albeit with the sound turned off 

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I felt reassured by Mel's comments today though about continuing the attacking football and using kids from the academy as and when they're good enough.

Which is why I think it won't be Hughton. Mate of mine is a big Norwich fan and his view was 'good manager at this level, very defensive, lots of 1-0 wins, doesn't play the young uns'. That cooled my ardour a little I must admit.

Interesting stat about the longevity of managers in England's four divisions

62 have been in their current job for less that 2 years & of those, 42 have been in position for less than a year

Specifically in the Championship only 5 have been in their current job for more than 2 years, 14 for less than a year (soon to become 15)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers

Crazy times !!

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I think it's about time for my annual Simo Valakari post. He ticks some of the boxes, but not all...

Did hell of job in Finland with good resources.

Has somehow managed to keep Tromssø in top league basically using only academy players.

His teams plays possession based, attacking football.

Unfortunately, not a high profile name in football and after one good season I'm pretty sure Motherwell is not gonna spend 4 millions to sign him. We might actually have some stability and we all know that's a big no no.

And I thought Frank had media skills...

Sign him up!

None of the names bandied around are very inspiring (the realistic ones anyway). But I think the same for most new managers.  Those I’m ‘meh’ about have often been good, those excited about often ‘meh’.  No rhyme or reason to it.  One good thing about Frank is that he bought that bit of connection with the fans back and I like that (for all Rowett’s horrid football, he was quite good with the fans too TBF).  

I want somebody quite young, intelligent, decent name in the game that can attract a bit of attention and open doors, would be good if they’d done a decent job elsewhere, but not imperative (I mean Frank is getting one of the biggest jobs in England after one decent enough season).  Can’t name any names (poor for a suggestion thread) but there is a ‘profile’ I’d like them to meet and thus far the likes of Moore, Monk and Hughton don’t quite do it for me (but win the first 10 games and I won’t care).

56 minutes ago, Anon said:

A certain bald fraud comes to mind. I seem to recall that he's done ok since being promoted from the Barca youth set up. There's another bald fraud at Madrid who won the CL three times after being promoted from managing the youth team.

Both of those were exceptional players and internationals and brought respect with them instantly ...Wassall was a fairly decent centre half but hasn’t got the pedigree of those two if its Pep and Zidane you’re talking about....being an international big name like Lampard raised our profile and he gained instant respect all I’m saying is if the youth/academy is now producing ( and I still think Jody helped a lot ) then leave it alone or we might be creating two problems 

33 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Which is why I think it won't be Hughton. Mate of mine is a big Norwich fan and his view was 'good manager at this level, very defensive, lots of 1-0 wins, doesn't play the young uns'. That cooled my ardour a little I must admit.

Would happily take that seeing as they were a premier league club at the time.

2 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I think it's about time for my annual Simo Valakari post. He ticks some of the boxes, but not all...

Did hell of job in Finland with good resources.

Has somehow managed to keep Tromssø in top league basically using only academy players.

His teams plays possession based, attacking football.

Unfortunately, not a high profile name in football and after one good season I'm pretty sure Motherwell is not gonna spend 4 millions to sign him. We might actually have some stability and we all know that's a big no no.

Very interesting proposition. Do tell us more. 

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Who spunked £60m? and when?

60m was the number quoted as being the "value" in 2007 of the playoff final win. Which is now 170m for this year.

So we knew we had revenue (including parachute payments) of 60m over the prem season and subsequent 3 seasons. 

So that takes us up to 2010/11. And in that period, all the cash plus money from the us investment bought us a collection of players that few remember as being much use.

7 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Would happily take that seeing as they were a premier league club at the time.

For me, I'd rather watch exciting football and not get promoted than sit through Billy Davies eras where you get the reward but just feel unfulfilled. Obviously, the perfect mix is exciting and promotion but if I had to choose I'd take excitement over ultimate success - mainly because success is an ever moving target whereas excitement is immediate. I know, the two are not exclusive but still....

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

For me, I'd rather watch exciting football and not get promoted than sit through Billy Davies eras where you get the reward but just feel unfulfilled. Obviously, the perfect mix is exciting and promotion but if I had to choose I'd take excitement over ultimate success - mainly because success is an ever moving target whereas excitement is immediate. I know, the two are not exclusive but still....

Missing the point a tad. He took over when Norwich were in the Premier League. His 1st season finished 11th.

2nd season was sacked whilst 5 points clear of relegation.

Archived