Suggestions for the next Derby manager

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of research reveals that Simo Valakari's record before he managed Tromso is even more impressive.  Managing Finnish club SJK he took over when they were in the second tier of the Finnish League.  Gaining promotion, SJK went on to finish runners up in the top tier the following season.  The next  season (2015) saw SJK end HJK Helsinki's run of 6 consecutive chamionships as they won their first ever Finnish League Title.  in 2016 they finished 3rd and they won the Finnish Cup.  He was then sacked....bizarrely it seems to me... and has gone on to manage Tromso, where he has continued to impress.  Sign him up !

Mel if you are not on a plane to Norway right now...you are not doing your job ?

5 minutes ago, Highgate said:

A bit of research reveals that Simo Valakari's record before he managed Tromso is even more impressive.  Managing Finnish club SJK he took over when they were in the second tier of the Finnish League.  Gaining promotion, SJK went on to finish runners up in the top tier the following season.  The next  season (2015) saw SJK end HJK Helsinki's run of 6 consecutive chamionships as they won their first ever Finnish League Title.  in 2016 they finished 3rd and they won the Finnish Cup.  He was then sacked....bizarrely it seems to me... and has gone on to manage Tromso, where he has continued to impress.  Sign him up !

Mel if you are not on a plane to Norway right now...you are not doing your job ?

All true. And the sacking episode is among the craziest stories in Finnish football lately... I guess no outsider knows the real truth behind it. Only that CEO of SJK is bit of a Bamford.

Well I have given it more thought after my initial gut reaction of hughton and I have come to the conclusion I don’t have a clue ,

maybe bergkamp sits about best with where we are at this stage but and it’s a big but ,he presents spelling problems for the forum 

1 minute ago, Dimmu said:

All true. And the sacking episode is among the craziest stories in Finnish football lately... I guess no outsider knows the real truth behind it. Only that CEO of SJK is bit of a Bamford.

Well it can't have been for football reasons.  His management led them to a period of unprecedented success by their standards.

He was treated appallingly by John Gregory too while he was a player at Derby.  Maybe his stubborn nature gets him into trouble with Bamfords from time to time ?

19 minutes ago, Highgate said:

The finish Brian Clough capable of doing the job and seeing it out?

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The finish Brian Clough capable of doing the job and seeing it out?

And we won't have to worry about Motherwell or FC Kontu swooping in and taking our manager if he proves any good. 

The matter is settled as far as I'm concerned.  Close the thread ?

18 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Well it can't have been for football reasons.  His management led them to a period of unprecedented success by their standards.

He was treated appallingly by John Gregory too while he was a player at Derby.  Maybe his stubborn nature gets him into trouble with Bamfords from time to time ?

There's no doubt about that. Which, in my opinion, is only a good thing.

By the way, at the the time SJK had almost similar resources as HJK so the success was also half-expected. Anyway, coped the expectations more than well.

34 minutes ago, Archied said:

Well I have given it more thought after my initial gut reaction of hughton and I have come to the conclusion I don’t have a clue ,

maybe bergkamp sits about best with where we are at this stage but and it’s a big but ,he presents spelling problems for the forum 

How hard is it to spell Dennis?! 

Sith Happens
1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

How hard is it to spell Dennis?! 

Easier than working out if you need an Exclamation mark after a question mark.

?

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

Simo ? ........hmmm, I'm warming to the idea !! ??

Archived