Suggestions for the next Derby manager

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

60m was the number quoted as being the "value" in 2007 of the playoff final win. Which is now 170m for this year.

So we knew we had revenue (including parachute payments) of 60m over the prem season and subsequent 3 seasons. 

So that takes us up to 2010/11. And in that period, all the cash plus money from the us investment bought us a collection of players that few remember as being much use.

Again, I think this is a disingenuous way of presenting things.

1, When LOG took over, they agreed to park a £15m debt with the co-op until the point that we got promoted. £15m gone before we kick a ball in the PL.

2, We renewed Billy Davies' contract, employed Craig Brown and Ned Kelly, and extended Julian Darby and some others, then sacked them. £8m gone by end of November.

3, IN the January 2007 Window, pushing for promotion, Horton sanctioned a £7m loan, with a view to promotion being able to pay it off, to fund the signings of Teale, Fagan, Bywater (on perm), and I think either Pearson or McEveley (or both). £7m gone before a ball kicked in PL.

4, Earnshaw £3.5m, Miller £3.5m, Todd, Griffin, Claude £3m, Savage £2m, Lewis, Feilhaber, Carroll, Stubbs, Mills (loan), Ghaly (loan) account for the rest of the money.

I think your original statement implied that Davies spunked it all after promotion, which is not true.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mel,

Don't waste money hiring another empty suit manager, use your vision, seek the wisdom of the dcfcfans.Co. Ck

Thats right, have a premium app, crowdsource decisions, make the info needed premium content.

Aggregate up team selection, tactics, substitions, word cloud the player bollocking....

It could transform the whole gig.

And fans would only have themselves to blame afterwards.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mel,

Don't waste money hiring another empty suit manager, use your vision, seek the wisdom of the dcfcfans.Co. Ck

Thats right, have a premium app, crowdsource decisions, make the info needed premium content.

Aggregate up team selection, tactics, substitions, word cloud the player bollocking....

And the vocal majority of fans would only have themselves to blame afterwards.

Ftfy

16 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Mel,

And fans would only have themselves to blame afterwards.

B4 to give the pre-match and half time team talks

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Again, I think this is a disingenuous way of presenting things.

1, When LOG took over, they agreed to park a £15m debt with the co-op until the point that we got promoted. £15m gone before we kick a ball in the PL.

2, We renewed Billy Davies' contract, employed Craig Brown and Ned Kelly, and extended Julian Darby and some others, then sacked them. £8m gone by end of November.

3, IN the January 2007 Window, pushing for promotion, Horton sanctioned a £7m loan, with a view to promotion being able to pay it off, to fund the signings of Teale, Fagan, Bywater (on perm), and I think either Pearson or McEveley (or both). £7m gone before a ball kicked in PL.

4, Earnshaw £3.5m, Miller £3.5m, Todd, Griffin, Claude £3m, Savage £2m, Lewis, Feilhaber, Carroll, Stubbs, Mills (loan), Ghaly (loan) account for the rest of the money.

I think your original statement implied that Davies spunked it all after promotion, which is not true.

No. The money was wasted by Davies and by Jewell on a combination of contracts for new players, transfer and loan fees plus contract uplifts for the promotion winning team. 

What I am saying is that the expenditure did not build anything of substance that endured.

1 hour ago, Andrew3000 said:

Very interesting proposition. Do tell us more. 

Got to say, I think someone like Valakari is the only appointment that will get the majority of the fans excited.  Let's face it, we still go ga-ga for a overseas player, why not a overseas manager?  Someone a little left-field.  Certainly worked for Norwich & Huddersfield going the little known foreign route.

30 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

No. The money was wasted by Davies and by Jewell on a combination of contracts for new players, transfer and loan fees plus contract uplifts for the promotion winning team. 

What I am saying is that the expenditure did not build anything of substance that endured.

it was never ever going to be able to. No manager would've been able to do that at the same time as the board had their agenda!

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

Missing the point a tad. He took over when Norwich were in the Premier League. His 1st season finished 11th.

2nd season was sacked whilst 5 points clear of relegation.

Seen a few people try to credit Hughton with doing a good job at Norwich simply by stating their final league position.

They'd finished 12th the season before that under Lambert, getting 11th the season after wasn't some momentous achievement. Hughton finished one place higher by making them more solid, but at the same time sucked all the fun out of watching them. I'd suggest giving this article a read:

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/the-worrying-signs-that-history-is-repeating-itself-for-chris-hughton/

“It’s fair to say it was negative. Norwich fans struggle to recall any performances under Hughton that provoke any ounce of excitement, to be honest. It was a particular problem given that he arrived after the club was playing such vibrant, fearless and attacking football under Paul Lambert. Attempting to win games converted into trying not to lose them, with the team becoming more structured and the football being overly pragmatic.”

“Recalling the season prior to Hughton’s arrival, Norwich survived in the Premier League because of their ability to score goals and attack games. Regardless of if they were travelling to Old Trafford, the Etihad or the Emirates, they would attempt to make it difficult but, crucially, would have a go at their opponents.”

“Under Hughton, they displayed respect to almost every opponent they faced. Equally, they weren’t competent enough defensively to emphasise that side of the game and game management was non-existent. In a heavy defeat to Aston Villa in his reign, Hughton described the need to ‘consolidate’ at 3-1 down to ensure they didn’t lose by a more significant margin. They lost 4-1.”

The season after that they'd only scored 26 goals all season when they sacked him. Yes they were 5 points clear of relegation and 5 games to play but 4 of those games were Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

He'd eradicated everything that got them where they were in the first place for the sake of moving 1 place up the table and sending them hurtling towards relegation the next. I don't see that as having done a good job, like some people state as fact.

Would he have kept them up? We'll never know. That doesn't stop people blaming their relegation on his sacking, even though it was likely coming anyway.

It isn't circumstance that leads Hughton to play horrible football in the Premier League, it's just his approach.

If we did appoint him, and he did get us promoted then great! Just as long as we sacked him immediately afterwards!

"signings of Teale, Fagan, Bywater (on perm), Pearson or McEveley (or both). £7m gone before a ball kicked in PL.

4, Earnshaw £3.5m, Miller £3.5m, Todd, Griffin, Claude £3m, Savage £2m, Lewis, Feilhaber, Carroll, Stubbs, Mills (loan), Ghaly (loan) account for the rest of the money."

I feel sooo sick.  Horrible horrible...

Death penalty ain't strong enough for whoever was responsible!

21 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Seen a few people try to credit Hughton with doing a good job at Norwich simply by stating their final league position.

They'd finished 12th the season before that under Lambert, getting 11th the season after wasn't some momentous achievement. Hughton finished one place higher by making them more solid, but at the same time sucked all the fun out of watching them. I'd suggest giving this article a read:

http://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/the-worrying-signs-that-history-is-repeating-itself-for-chris-hughton/

The season after that they'd only scored 26 goals all season when they sacked him. Yes they were 5 points clear of relegation and 5 games to play but 4 of those games were Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal.

He'd eradicated everything that got them where they were in the first place for the sake of moving 1 place up the table and sending them hurtling towards relegation the next. I don't see that as having done a good job, like some people state as fact.

Would he have kept them up? We'll never know. That doesn't stop people blaming their relegation on his sacking, even though it was likely coming anyway.

It isn't circumstance that leads Hughton to play horrible football in the Premier League, it's just his approach.

If we did appoint him, and he did get us promoted then great! Just as long as we sacked him immediately afterwards!

On the whole quite irrelevant as we aren't a premier league club.

As a championship manager he has been very successful and his teams have scored lots of goals.

If we was to get promoted and stay up by any means, i would not be complaining.

He's got bloody Brighton promoted to the Premier League and kept them up twice.

22 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Hughton has always had the aura of a Nigel to me.  Would always settle for a draw because not winning isn't as bad as losing. 

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Hughton has always had the aura of a Nigel to me.  Would always settle for a draw because not winning isn't as bad as losing. 

I find a lot of what's being said about Hughton dangerously similar to what we said about Pearson.

Abandoning the style of play just to get us over the line. Ring any bells?

38 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Interestingly, Simon Jordan (ex-Crystal Palace owner) made a similar such point on talksport yesterday before Mel came on.

He said he regrets not sacking Iain Dowie after they got promoted.

Along the lines of: the manager who gets you up may be the right manager to do just that. They may be a good championship manager. It does not correlate that they are necessarily the right person to keep you there and be suited to being a Premier League Manager.

It would seem ludicrously harsh to sack the bloke who got you promoted. But, thinking about it, it isn't a proposition entirely without its merits.

Still, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We've got to bloody well get there first!

Archived