Derby County vs Leeds United (Play-offs)

cannable

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Malone in no mans land. 

Okay Derby let's see what you're made of. 

My big concern about Malone is that he seems to leave so much space to their right. It happened tonight and they scored from it.

Not the first time we conceded this way.

Never been a fan of Malone for  this reason.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Davide said:

As much as I dislike Leeds, they proved today they are a quality side. We were not at our best but Leeds got it spot on. They pressured us, forced us to play long hopeful balls and showed some amazing one- two touch passing moves. We showed glimpses of this fast movement but did not test their keeper at all and were second best all match (apart from first few minutes).

Well said. This is the reality. Leeds are a very good team, they are better than us. No shame in that.

This wasn't about how poor Derby were, its about how much better Leeds were. They stopped us playing, they won all the second balls, they were all comfortable on the ball and played as a really good team. We did well keeping it to just the single goal.

We have had a great season but we just aren't quite good enough to go up and to hold our own in the Premier - Leeds probably are.

3 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

My big concern about Malone is that he seems to leave so much space to their right. It happened tonight and they scored from it.

Comfortably Derby's worth player not named Nugent today.

He can be effective going forward, but he can't defend and gets pulled out of position easily.

1 hour ago, Pearl Ram said:

Frank let me down today, I was quick enough to criticise Rowett for his tactics in last seasons play offs, regrettably Frank gives me little choice but to criticise his. 

No shots on target, at home, in a play off first leg, dismal, nothing else to add.

As he let you down. I never read a post from you with your expectations from him and our FFP problems 

or did I read a post from you expecting world domination in his first season?’

Get a grip mate 

Poor today. We never deserved anything out of it. However..

Leeds could have been down to 9. Amazed Klich got away with a yellow. Yes it was soft, but have seen so many similar incidents, and never seen one given a yellow. Looked like Cooper was done for simulation after a free kick when he was already booked. I'm assuming that was just a regular foul. As for the pen, if you've made a decision, stick by it instead of bottling it. Don't get why it wasn't a pen either - Harrison swings, gets a sliver of the ball and a whole chunk of Bogle's leg. 

Some garbage posts on here as usual, as if Frank had told them to go out and hit everything long and not keep possession.

Leeds are a really good team and would have got automatic with a dire last 4 games. We are still in it though, which is a decent result after how the game went.

Disappointing today but only half time, we seriously missed waghorn today, whilst nugent gets stick Marriott did nothing either when he came on. Maybe a wild card from the under 18s on the bench or starting like Whittaker. As always when we need to hold the ball up we look for someone to do it (we still own Martin and sadly he would have been a better starter today) 

19 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Malone expends far too much energy and effort in constantly trying to tell his team mates what they all should be doing - all that shouting and waving his arms about. Must be infuriating to play with. 

He would be a much better player if he just focussed on his own game, and got that right. He has more than enough to work on if he just did that, because he is way off the pace from being a reliable left back.

4 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

So it was a penalty then? Nah, didn't think so.

What?

I criticised the linesman because he overturned it for a foul by Bogle. There is absolutely no way Bogle has fouled anybody there so it was an awful, awful decision. If he says to the ref “no that’s a corner” it is a bit more understandable but he didn’t. He saw something nobody else at all saw. Awful officiating. 

Leeds played us dead right. Rode our first 15 minute rush of blood, then their front two pressed so high even Mount looked like CB at times.

Not slagging anyone off but, Duane Holmes apart, we were too slow, not brave enough.

All the usual Leeds tricks .. snide tackles, dirty play but even allowing for this they were stronger, so complaining sounds a bit like sour grapes

Anyway .. it’s half time and we are a goal down and will be playing uphill with the wind against us in the second half. .. not done yet though. They have played the same for 3 games now. Need to sus them out and have a counter plan. 

Ref had a shocker, bought in to all the Leeds tricks .. i’d Love to see the for against free kick count. .. there is no way when the long balls were being sent that the defender was fouled EVERY time. 

Outclassed from about the 5th minute onwards, disappointing but not too suicidal as we're punching above our weight in this tie before a ball has even been kicked. Biggest disappointment being Franks lack of progression. 180 minutes of being battered hasn't given him an idea of how to stop Leeds, hopefully 270 will do. We just looked out of place. Not one shot on target in your own home play off semi... on par with Fulham away last year - just clueless how to deal with the opposition. 

Fair play Leeds, deserved winners. Unfortunate to only be 1-0 up. Wasn't a penalty in a million years. I don't understand people moaning that Leeds should be down to 9 when we were pretty lucky not to be down to 9 too? 

Sometimes you just get beaten by a better side. Hopefully we'll have an answer and put up a fight in the away leg, COYR.

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

The first 60 of the game today was as spineless and gutless a performance I've ever seen from Derby, considering the context. No pressure, no closing, no urgency in passing. Duane Holmes is exempt from this, since his performance today was pretty much spot on today. Nugent should never start a game for Derby County again. Nothing personal, but he's ducking poo and well past his sell by date. We looked miles better when Marriott came on. 

Think our tactics were all wrong, we sat off Leeds far too much and by the end when we were in the ascendancy we were creating chances. The lack of bravery really cost us today, always taking the safe pass, and always being too slow. I just hope knowing when we go to Elland Road we have to win or our season is over gives them the kick up the arse they clearly need to take risks in possession and go for it. We've given ourselves a mountain to climb.

You think that tactics? Was it a deliberate ploy to give the ball away cheaply, stand off Leeds and play deep?

I don’t think so. We could call into question Lampard’s man management potentially, but we didn’t set up to play badly on purpose. I think the occasion and opponent got to too many of the players.

I agree with Keogh, we didn't play that badly,  after listening to the RD audio this am, and watching it this

afternoon we weren't as bad as a lot have made out, admittedly we were at home and the onus was on us

to get a result, we didn't seem to get the 'rub of the green' at all.

It's another 90 though at ER and we are still in it, as Clough said it only takes a couple of seconds to score ??

40 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Some garbage posts on here as usual, as if Frank had told them to go out and hit everything long and not keep possession.

Leeds are a really good team and would have got automatic with a dire last 4 games. We are still in it though, which is a decent result after how the game went.

I agree it’s only half time but boy we need to turn up on Weds with our best performance of the season,we have made it hard for ourselves and the 1st goal is massive on Weds.

13 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Tale of the tape - 32, 000 crowd. In the play offs. Lost 1 nil to a better, more established side. No Waghorn. Leeds are bookies' favourites to get promoted. They did not let us play our game. Next Question?

COYR ????

1 hour ago, BobbyD said:

Well said. This is the reality. Leeds are a very good team, they are better than us. No shame in that.

This wasn't about how poor Derby were, its about how much better Leeds were. They stopped us playing, they won all the second balls, they were all comfortable on the ball and played as a really good team. We did well keeping it to just the single goal.

We have had a great season but we just aren't quite good enough to go up and to hold our own in the Premier - Leeds probably are.

Leeds are indeed a good team but I disagree. We made Leeds look better than they are today, Leeds are in dire form, even the worst team in the league beat them last week. Let’s not make them out to be better than they are, Leeds weren’t great either. Before today, Leeds hadn’t won in a month. Not having a single shot on target at home for us is embarrassing at this stage of the season. The only positive from today is that we managed to keep it down to 1-0 so the game isn’t completely out of reach.

Archived