Derby County vs Leeds United (Play-offs)

cannable

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Having looked into the linesman it appears he has a taste for the limelight. He was involved in a controversial incident involving Spurs and Liverpool and allegedly celebrated after awarding Spurs a penalty. The referee bottled it. I can’t recall the linesman flagging when Bogle ‘dived’ to point it out and why if Bogle did ‘dive’ wasn’t he booked. I mean others players have been banned for deception / diving previously. I would of thought in a game as important as this and to gain a goalscoring advantage then he should of been booked.

I dont think he gives the free kick for a dive, he gives it for bogle pulling harrison down, his touch on harrison is very light and only pulls him down after his leg is taken by harrison.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only saw the first hour of the game as it clashed with my best mates 60th Birthday bash. From what I saw we were second best all game and I am just glad we got away with a 1-0 defeat and still just about in the tie.....one of those annoying Rams performances where we struggled to get out of third gear and created next to nothing....

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I only saw the first hour of the game as it clashed with my best mates 60th Birthday bash. From what I saw we were second best all game and I am just glad we got away with a 1-0 defeat and still just about in the tie.....one of those annoying Rams performances where we struggled to get out of third gear and created next to nothing....

First 10-15 we were excellent, then yes i agree we were second best until after they scored. Then we got in it again, but never really threatened.

Ok not such a good day at the office yesterday but I’m not too down this morning. Funnily enough I can still positive slant on things (ok, I admit it I’m a happy clapper ?) ..... it’s only half time and this tie ain’t over yet, ask any Liverpool or Tottenham fan. I’d actually be more nervous if we were taking a 1-0 lead into the second leg as I be concerned as to how we would approach the game and we’d have everything to lose. Not so now, pressure is on Leeds, how do they set up for the second leg? Hold what they’ve got or go for the jugular and kill off the tie? We don’t have this to worry about, we’ve got nothing to lose, stay in the game early doors and it will be the home team that begin to feel the nerves, score first and the momentum will be with us. Still all to play for. 

8 hours ago, JfR said:

To be fair, even in their "dire form" they've put out better overall performances than they did against us today
Derby limited them to 12 shots, 3 on target, 57% possession. That's a lot for any side, but look at the games running up to this, none of which they won:
Ipswich: 27 shots, 7 on target, 65% possession
Villa: 27 shots, 5 on target, 69% possession
Brentford: 18 shots, 3 on target, 63% possession
Wigan: 36 shots, 10 on target, 77% possession
and they've put up similar stats to that in almost every single game they've played. They've constantly outplayed sides, they've just been awful at outscoring them lately. 

Stats don’t tell the whole story. Leeds are a mentally fragile team at the moment. One of the worst teams I’ve seen  in this league in years scored 3 against them just last week whereas we didn’t have a single shot on target. Casilla is a mistake prone goalkeeper and we didn’t test him once. Leeds are a good team, but people are forgetting we competed much better against far better teams than Leeds this season- Chelsea, Man Utd and Southampton.

Regarding the penalty incident. If the same thing happened at Elland Road and Derby are winning 1-0 but it's a Leeds player that goes down in Derby's box and he's caught exactly the same way and the same referee has given the penalty, does the same referee assistant with 40,000 screaming Leeds fans behind him, calling him all sorts, does he intervene and change the referee's original decision?. I think you'll find the answer would always be No, every time.

Football unfortunately will always be different rules for the so called perceived big clubs against little clubs.

On a day when I avoided watching the game in a pub to stay at home and watch it with my boys. So no alcohol, so I treated the lads to a day out at the Aberdeen theme park Codona's, we enjoyed lunch, ice creams and rides, and I bought the youngest this Penguin Race, and his face lit up all day long.

Then at 2am this morning, the little one, thanked me for his day out, by stumbling into my bedroom half a sleep, and spewing up all over the place. I was feeling a bit sick myself from the football, but with age, you start getting used to it, unfortunately being a Derby County fan if the football doesn't do it, the alcohol might, if the alcohol doesn't do it, the Penguins might, if the Penguins don't do it, the kids might!

C'mon the Rams, c'mon the Penguins, c'mon the kids on Wednesday night, bring on the celebratory alcohol, we will still do this, it's us against the rest of the world and we can do it!

First 20 mins we were good. Nugent ineffective with zero support, rest of the first half was Leeds. We sort of matched them in 2nd half. No shots on target at home in this sort of game, load of rubbish. Hope Waghorn is back. Not good enough to go up. Overall Lampard and the players have had a decent season and it's his first managers job. Look forward to pushing for autos next season.

56 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Having looked into the linesman it appears he has a taste for the limelight. He was involved in a controversial incident involving Spurs and Liverpool and allegedly celebrated after awarding Spurs a penalty. The referee bottled it. I can’t recall the linesman flagging when Bogle ‘dived’ to point it out and why if Bogle did ‘dive’ wasn’t he booked. I mean others players have been banned for deception / diving previously. I would of thought in a game as important as this and to gain a goalscoring advantage then he should of been booked.

I think you’re coming at this far too deep.

For me the correct decision was a corner, so wasn’t sure how they got to a free kick to Leeds.

Still think VAR in play would have not gave a penalty, even how much wailing we do on here and elsewhere.

For me the officials were ok yesterday. Nothing special but ok. They got away with one or two, we did as well. 

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

For me the correct decision was a corner, so wasn’t sure how they got to a free kick to Leeds.

Still think VAR in play would have not gave a penalty, even how much wailing we do on here and elsewhere.

For me the officials were ok yesterday. Nothing special but ok. They got away with one or two, we did as well. 

Yep agree, how Huddlestone and the Leeds (headbutt) player stayed on the pitch is a mystery to me.

What struck me the most about yesterday was the lack of intensity. Everyone knows Leeds were mentally fragile but that they always work hard - we needed to match that at the very least to open those psychological wounds.

We started well, some decent movement up top & looked dangerous but that all faded after about 15 minutes. Leeds worked so much harder than us to press the space & the net effect was to strangle our options which meant a diet of aimless long balls to Nugent.

Although Holmes showed plenty of desire to win the ball the back, no-one else ahead of the back 4 really put a shift in. Nugent was particularly ponderous - I can accept he's not the striker he was but to not press their defenders & keeper was just inexplicable. I counted 3 times that we put genuine pressure on their keeper & on all 3 occasions, he shanked the ball out for a throw in in their half.

To compound the difference in work rate, movement ahead of the back 4 was very poor. Tomori in particular looked very frustrated with it. Bogle & Malone also barely threatened, I just couldn't understand it

The irritating thing is this isn't rocket science - the same patterns of play have happened twice already this season & yet we did exactly the same things again. Leeds are bang average but we're continually playing into their hands. Something needs to change dramatically on Wednesday.

33 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

I thought the officials were hit and miss yesterday. The referee to me appeared reluctant to book people. It was a penalty and I don’t recall the Leeds player who was allegedly fouled appealing or kicking off about being fouled. I recall the Leeds keeper making it his mission to change the officials mind. 

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

What struck me the most about yesterday was the lack of intensity. Everyone knows Leeds were mentally fragile but that they always work hard - we needed to match that at the very least to open those psychological wounds.

We started well, some decent movement up top & looked dangerous but that all faded after about 15 minutes. Leeds worked so much harder than us to press the space & the net effect was to strangle our options which meant a diet of aimless long balls to Nugent.

Although Holmes showed plenty of desire to win the ball the back, no-one else ahead of the back 4 really put a shift in. Nugent was particularly ponderous - I can accept he's not the striker he was but to not press their defenders & keeper was just inexplicable. I counted 3 times that we put genuine pressure on their keeper & on all 3 occasions, he shanked the ball out for a throw in in their half.

To compound the difference in work rate, movement ahead of the back 4 was very poor. Tomori in particular looked very frustrated with it. Bogle & Malone also barely threatened, I just couldn't understand it

The irritating thing is this isn't rocket science - the same patterns of play have happened twice already this season & yet we did exactly the same things again. Leeds are bang average but we're continually playing into their hands. Something needs to change dramatically on Wednesday.

I also ‘noticed’ this - I say ‘noticed’ because there was one moment when Tomori was so visibly furious with Malone, there’s no way you couldn’t see it unless you were looking somewhere else.

I don’t think Malone or Bogle were helped by Leeds’ shape or, in particular, the strange positions taken up and lack of tracking back from our wingers. It’s a measure of Bogle’s progression that he clocked Wilson being marked and lack of tracking back and didn’t just blindly run past him anyway.

1 minute ago, Duracell said:

I also ‘noticed’ this - I say ‘noticed’ because there was one moment when Tomori was so visibly furious with Malone, there’s no way you couldn’t see it unless you were looking somewhere else.

I don’t think Malone or Bogle were helped by Leeds’ shape or, in particular, the strange positions taken up and lack of tracking back from our wingers. It’s a measure of Bogle’s progression that he clocked Wilson being marked and lack of tracking back and didn’t just blindly run past him anyway.

If everyone had Tomoris tenacity we might have seen a different game yesterday.

Mount was also getting pretty pissed off, sky commentators said he was gesturing to Lampard that he was being constantly marked and had nowhere to go. Also showed him looking pretty exasperated  (but all this was in the first half and nothing really changed after).

38 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

@Mafiabob sticking up for refs shocker! ?

3 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

I thought the officials were hit and miss yesterday. The referee to me appeared reluctant to book people. It was a penalty and I don’t recall the Leeds player who was allegedly fouled appealing or kicking off about being fouled. I recall the Leeds keeper making it his mission to change the officials mind. 

Not for me a penalty, even though I felt it should have been a corner. Can’t think of anything bad first 55/60 minutes to warrant a yellow to any side. I would be upset if that would have been given against us, tbf I didn’t think we were actually up in arms either asking for it, until it all kicked off. 

The keeper didn’t make the official change his mind, the assistant did. 

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

@Mafiabob sticking up for refs shocker! ?

Calling it as I see it, I don’t think it’s sticking up at all. Seeing as I thought they flunked the decision to give a free kick instead of a corner. Also potentially missed 2 reds as well.

Its swings and roundabouts, some you get, some you don’t. There’s no conspiracy, refs make mistakes. It’s how people react to them that bothers me more 

2 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Yes, Malone's performance was very strange - he never seemed to show for the ball & was often caught out of position. My mate thought he was hiding. Frustrating as he does have quality & put in a fantastic ball across the 6 yard area late on - it was his only highlight though.

Re Bogle, slightly controversial but I think in a game like that where our main threats are being marked out of the match, we needed both full backs to be particularly adventurous to overload the wings. Tomori is so quick he can deal with most balls over the top & Bradley Johnson should really be sitting in to provide cover for them. You're right that we'd also need wingers tracking back - which they didn't.

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

Calling it as I see it, I don’t think it’s sticking up at all. Seeing as I thought they flunked the decision to give a free kick instead of a corner. Also potentially missed 2 reds as well.

Its swings and roundabouts, some you get, some you don’t. There’s no conspiracy, refs make mistakes. It’s how people react to them that bothers me more 

I agree, but why didn’t Bogle get booked for simulation if the ref was fooled into giving a pen?

Archived