Derby County vs Leeds United (Play-offs)

cannable

10 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Firstly, I will apologise for perhaps not reading your entire post before replying.

Emotions are high and I’ve been in the pub so I made my reply purely on reading your first line. My mistake as it seems it wasn’t your point entirely.

but hey no hard feelings 

No worries. I’ve done both myself before. Seems like @Derby blood is just as guilty.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Well they should have had 2 players sent off for head butt and Holmes being heald around the neck on the ground but yet he got booked and to make this worest ref was from Sheffield.

Just like nick name dirty leeds I was left feeling fuming with ref and linesmen.

Head butt yes. The other incidence, no. But I doubt them losing a striker with 10 mins to go would have made any difference. 

Derby need to look internally to figure what went wrong in terms of team selection, tactics, maybe even desire, not blame an abject referee.

That's how you fix it, not by blaming external forces out of your control, but taking the game by the throat so firmly that bad decisions become moot and you plow straight through them. 

We we have one more change and we need to attack like a mofo and if that means they run up a cricket score, then so be it. 

It ain't over yet people, we are 90 minutes closer to wembley than at the start of the day. It's just a tad more uphill now. 

Leeds are not mentally strong and we need to exploit that weakness by relentlessly attacking with pace and intent. 

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

Not being funny but if you need a bloke with an elastic band around his arm to inspire you then you're a pussy.

It's an armband. Not a therapy pillow. 

You're not in the trenches being shot at by the Germans. You're not looking for someone to drag you out over the top and charge the Nazi bar stewards. 

You're playing football for a place in the Premier League and the manager has given you a job. If that's not enough to motivate you and you need an inspiring speech from a bloke wearing a 5 inch band then you're a massive knob head

I guess you never saw Dave Mackay.

7 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

For saying how much Leeds want to complain about the Huddlestone ‘smash’, they’ve made it hard to find a video of it.

Can I presume it’s a bit of nonsense?

He did forearm smash him. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any retrospective action against Hudds. I'm not condoning what he did but we certainly need to go into the 2nd leg with some of that fire in our bellies. Hopefully the injustice of some of the decisions against us will fire us up for it. 

14 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

He did forearm smash him. I'd be surprised if there wasn't any retrospective action against Hudds. I'm not condoning what he did but we certainly need to go into the 2nd leg with some of that fire in our bellies. Hopefully the injustice of some of the decisions against us will fire us up for it. 

It was blatant from Tom,a forearm smash.

Deserved a red.

Having said that I liked it,it was like a Dad sticking up for his kid(even though it was unprofessional).

Pawson knew he couldn’t send him off after letting the head butt go 2 minutes before.

Huddz forearm smash was one of the few highlights. 

I'm not sure that there was any great tactical wizardry. Leeds use the whole width of the pitch - every last inch. They press etc etc. Time and space is very limited but we just didn't play well. Maybe we can't play at that tempo. Generally we play at quite a ponderous pace in comparison.

They had a bit of luck in the build up to the goal when the ball broke to the winger, but it was an absolute peach of a cross, and a great finish by Roofe. Malone looks like he should be favourite for the ball but it just seems to elude him. These games are rarely pretty and are decided by such moments of quality. Thats why Jack has to play in round 2. Nuge was been a very good player in his day, but is league 2 standard now. 

The penalty is strange. Its probably not a penalty, but neither is it a free kick to them. Why the referee even felt the need to abdicate the decision i've no idea, other than the fact that he seemed to take an age to give it. What the gimp of a lineman then thinks he has seen is even more unfathomable. 

Poor day at the office made worse by a poor referee who can't even pace out 10 yards accurately.

deep breath. Go again. 

4 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

It was blatant from Tom,a forearm smash.

Deserved a red.

Having said that I liked it,it was like a Dad sticking up for his kid(even though it was unprofessional).

Pawson knew he couldn’t send him off after letting the head butt go 2 minutes before.

That's pretty much how I saw it. It was heartening to see Big Tom have that within him. He can seem a bit powder puff at times for a big lad. We need 11 players with that spirit on Weds night. 

We were like rabbits in the headlights today. So so disappointing considering the absolute big baalocks performances we churned out to get back into the play offs. 

Frank has played Leeds 3 times and still hasn't got it right against them. Other teams have stopped Leeds playing this season and yet we continue to make it look like we're 11 strangers when we play them. 

Frank needs to be brave on Wednesday. 

Drop Wilson (his left foot is a wand but general play hasn't been to the high standards we can expect from him), was astounded when we took off Holmes and Lawrence before him (was Holmes injured?).

Get Mason Mount pushed right up to stand on Phillips so he can't have the ball. This also means that Mount will be high up the pitch, where we need him, as Phillips is often their deepest midfielder.

Put Holmes out wide in place of Wilson and play a midfield 3 of:

Huddlestone

Johnson Mount (Free role) 

Tell the wingers to come central at goal kicks and push the fullbacks to the half way line. Aim for either Johnson or the fullbacks if it is clear that playing it short will cause us problems against their special press. In general play always get 1 full back and 1 winger to hug the touch line to provide quick outlets for anyone under pressure. 

And finally, get bodies in their box! 

Leave everything on the pitch Wednesday night, no one remember the almost boys. 

Three penalty issues in two play off games yesterday. I disagreed with all three. Leeds player and Huddlestone both sending off for me. If WBA had got their penalty, Gayle may not have tried so hard and not got sent off. 

BOTTOM LINE - we are one goal down with 90 minutes to get an equaliser. I would have taken this at beginning of the season. Man City scored 91 Prem goals so far from 668 attempts with World class strikers and midfield. I would rather lose 3 nil having had shots on goal than 1 nil with no shots on goal. It is a Cup final that if we win by one goal it is ET and then penalties. Irrelevant to me that it is at Elland Road. 

Cardiff, Leicester, Norwich, Sheff Utd, Aston Villa, WBA, Burnley etc all seemed to have more aggressive, stronger, bigger players than us who did not mind using strong arm tactics. Easiest way out of league surely? 

I really like Frank and the way he wants to play. A lot of good players at the Club. Proud to be a Rams fan, unlike last season. ??❤️

Ref and his assistants had a poor game plenty for the assessor to get his teeth are into.A penalty would have been soft but I think var would have given it has there was no clear error.

Both the were red a headbutt on any part of the body is a straight red and so is the forearm by Huddlestone.

Leeds got their tactics right making us play long knowing they would win the majority of balls up to nuge then picking up the following ball, also the man marking of mount something they did to grealish too. What was disappointing was we continued to do this when Marriott came on when balls down the side of the centre halves was what he needed.

You cannot argue they deserved the win has a team they are greater than their parts.

If we find a man utd or a Chelsea performance we can still win this but I cannot see us doing so....hopefully I am wrong.

7 hours ago, Inglorius said:

I like all the false logic statements spouting that as Leeds beat us today ergo they are a better team then us. 

In that case then why didn't we give them a bye into the playoff finals.

We practically have!

Three penalty issues in two play off games yesterday. I disagreed with all three. Leeds player and Huddlestone both sending off for me. If WBA had got their penalty, Gayle may not have tried so hard and not got sent off. 

BOTTOM LINE - we are one goal down with 90 minutes to get an equaliser. I would have taken this at beginning of the season. Man City scored 91 Prem goals so far from 668 attempts with World class strikers and midfield. I would rather lose 3 nil having had shots on goal than 1 nil with no shots on goal. It is a Cup final that if we win by one goal it is ET and then penalties. Irrelevant to me that it is at Elland Road. 

Cardiff, Leicester, Norwich, Sheff Utd, Aston Villa, WBA, Burnley etc all seemed to have more aggressive, stronger, bigger players than us who did not mind using strong arm tactics. Easiest way out of league surely? 

I really like Frank and the way he wants to play. A lot of good players at the Club. Proud to be a Rams fan, unlike last season. ??❤️

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

was astounded when we took off Holmes and Lawrence before him (was Holmes injured?).

Holmes had been a doubt up to kick off and was running out of steam so was best to protect him from further injury.

Lawrence was cramp according to Frank's interview.

Think yesterday proved once again that form means absolutely nothing in the playoffs! Leeds are back on it no question and put in a very good away performance. We worked hard, defended well but we froze a bit on the big occasion. They were braver than we were, overcommitting players, pushing us back. They covered more ground than we did and the result was we were thinking more about them than trying to impose our game. When being pressed like we were when we do get the ball it’s important we use it effectively to counter and we didn’t, either through sloppy play or trying too hard to force the issue. 

Thought Roos Keogh Tomori Holmes and Johnson can all emerge with credit, they all played well. No one else performed which was disappointing. 

As well as Johnson and Holmes played though, we weren’t a match for Leeds in midfield. They have an excellent balance and are really dynamic, we don’t have that with Bradley or Huddlestone

As for Tom Lawrence - I’m a big fan and praised him lots last week but performances like yesterday are what frustrates everyone and why many don’t like him, and it’s hard to argue. He was very poor.

The squad needs further evolution. But we knew that 

Sith Happens

Having calmed down, i have been VAR'ing the penalty decision myself, and certain had VAR been in place it would have stood.

Bogle clearly has his leg taken before Harrison connects with the ball. Its only after Bogle has his leg taken that Harrison is pulled to the floor by Bogles trailing arm.

The picture below is before contact with the ball, my opinion thats a Penalty.

Hard to give in real time I get that but the ref did. Poor poor referee, to allow himself to have his mind changed by the reaction of the Leeds players is a disgrace.

The reaction of the Leeds players should have seen some yellows being given, not a reversal of a decision.

That said. Leeds were the better team for most of the game, their work off the ball, closing down and pressing was excellent.

Capture.PNG.68d7741e8fafbbc615c98d4e4ba6c9ee.PNG

9 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

As he let you down. I never read a post from you with your expectations from him and our FFP problems 

or did I read a post from you expecting world domination in his first season?’

Get a grip mate 

I wrote he let me down as I didn’t want to speak for other people. In fact, I think he let a lot of people down but that’s up them to confirm. 

You probably never read post from me with my expectations of Frank because I have never placed that kind of pressure on him, preferring to be a staunch supporter of him when others have shown less patience.

I’m sorry, I can’t see a link between that drivel he set the team up to play yesterday and FFP problems. What was the point of qualifying for the play offs to play like that ?

Your last point, regarding world domination I’m not even going to dignify with a response as it’s pathetic, I know I’ve had Lampard’s back on here since he joined when others have been quick to criticise.

If you are content with a performance at home with no shots on target I suggest it’s you that needs to get a grip and I’m not your mate.

Having looked into the linesman it appears he has a taste for the limelight. He was involved in a controversial incident involving Spurs and Liverpool and allegedly celebrated after awarding Spurs a penalty. The referee bottled it. I can’t recall the linesman flagging when Bogle ‘dived’ to point it out and why if Bogle did ‘dive’ wasn’t he booked. I mean others players have been banned for deception / diving previously. I would of thought in a game as important as this and to gain a goalscoring advantage then he should of been booked.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I guess you never saw Dave Mackay.

I didn't but I imagine he was a good bloke to have in the changing rooms even without the Armband Of Authority. 

Were there times where we lost games and everyone was like "that's because he's a rubbish leader" or was it sometimes another player who's responsible for the mental wellbeing of the other 10 players on the pitch. 

I cannot believe people look for reasons we haven't won and say "that's because Keogh's a poor leader". Nothing stops anyone else from speaking up. Nothing stops anyone ignoring Keogh. You'd think the armband has some magical Harry Potter style magic influence to control others the way people go on. 

I can only see it as a missed opportunity. If we brought all of those performances that got us into the play offs into this game and really gave it our all... And still lost, I wouldn't have minded. But it's the fact that we started brightly, Holmes was scaring them to death even Lawrence was cutting in and out of players. But as soon as Leeds started to see the ball more and calm it down, we caved. It's a real real shame that we couldn't capitalise being at Pride park too, if we scored from those early sparks from Lawrence, Holmes etc. It really would have been an entirely different game. Nevertheless, we have to just go out there at elland road and give it our absolute all no regrets. If we do that we'll surely score at least one and get right back in the game.

Archived