Derby County vs Leeds United (Play-offs)

cannable

24 minutes ago, Duracell said:

You think that tactics? Was it a deliberate ploy to give the ball away cheaply, stand off Leeds and play deep?

I don’t think so. We could call into question Lampard’s man management potentially, but we didn’t set up to play badly on purpose. I think the occasion and opponent got to too many of the players.

Then why did we not press high? Generally we stood off, I'm not saying giving the ball away was a plan, it blatantly wasn't, but stand off and play deep might have been a plan? 

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Andicis said:

Then why did we not press high? Generally we stood off, I'm not saying giving the ball away was a plan, it blatantly wasn't, but stand off and play deep might have been a plan? 

How do you know we didn’t try? Does that sound like Lampard to do that?

The problem with a high-pressing game is that it only takes one not to do it for the whole thing to be a waste of time. I think the players let the occasion get to them and didn’t talk and press as a team. This meant we played deeper than usual, and was compounded by the fact Leeds pressed well and we got turned over regularly.

None of that was the game plan. I think we should be asking if Lampard and his coaching staff prepared the players in a way that made them play their best, but I don’t think what we saw today was an execution of the original instructions.

Leeds are a better side than us, they have proved it 3 times now. Let's not forget that Leeds had Jansson, Alioski, Douglas, Roberts and Bamford missing also. It will take a monumental effort to go to Elland Road and win. Leeds will score, so we will need at least 3 goals to get to Wembley. Stranger things have happened but I don't think this side has what's it takes to pull it off.  

Just home, our country's appalling trains complementing a bad day at the office for the Rams.

Duane Holmes was an absolute hero. The rest of the team weren't brave enough in their attacking play. Oddly Bogle hardly got forward (until the pen). Tomori was frustrated and lunged wildly early. Mount and Wilson not in the game enough. Nugent never dangerous. We were being out muscled most of the game and struggled to establish a bridgehead in our opponent's half. So the next thing makes me really mad...

Partway through the first half we won a freekick on the wing halfway into the Leeds' half. Finally a position from which to launch an attack and threaten. Instead, the the 758th time this season we whacked it backwards over the halfway line, putting ourselves under immediate pressure, losing the ball and starting a dangerous Leeds attack. Just no! How many times? No! No! No! When will the coaches and players get the message?

Goes without saying All the officials were terrible. Really bad. I was on the touchline with the other lino and he hated us so much he's have overruled the pen from the halfway line if the other one hadn't. He still had time to plenty of jokes with the Leeds lads though. And not flag when Wilson was hauled down or Nugent kicked in the head.

Got to be brave on Wednesday. If we start fast and score early it's 1-1. Definitely not out of it but we need to  play oh so much better. The good news is we can play oh so much better. Right now I'm not totally convinced we will.

3 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I like all the false logic statements spouting that as Leeds beat us today ergo they are a better team then us. 

In that case then why didn't we give them a bye into the playoff finals.

Indeed, on today alone, false logic. But after losing to them twice (albeit with weakened sides) this season, and finishing many points and three places behind them, I think it is fair to say that they’ve been a better team this season.

I mean, it’s great for us that we could still yet be promoted, but it did seem a bit ridiculous that in 2013-14 we were convincingly better than the other playoff teams and only lost to QPR’s over 70 side because Forsyth, Buxton and Keogh all forgot which sport they were playing in seconds of madness. Sometimes wonder if it makes more sense for 3rd to go up automatically.

6 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Indeed, on today alone, false logic. But after losing to them twice (albeit with weakened sides) this season, and finishing many points and three places behind them, I think it is fair to say that they’ve been a better team this season.

I mean, it’s great for us that we could still yet be promoted, but it did seem a bit ridiculous that in 2013-14 we were convincingly better than the other playoff teams and only lost to QPR’s over 70 side because Forsyth, Buxton and Keogh all forgot which sport they were playing in seconds of madness. Sometimes wonder if it makes more sense for 3rd to go up automatically.

I've always been an exponent of the team which finishes 3rd goes up. Which isn't likely to be changed anytime soon.

Two things I'd like to see change for Wednesday:

Bemused by number of times Roos' distribution was to give it to Tomori on left hand edge of box, who then didn't have an outlet and was put under pressure. Time and time again. Would have been good to mix it up a bit and have a plan for a variety of ways to build from the keeper whether short or long.

Harry Wilson's free kicks. For some time I've wondered why we don't try something different like the surprise factor Liverpool had v Barcelona with Alexander-Arnold and Origi. Johnson was standing free on edge of box and the ball could have been passed by Wilson in front of him to shoot instead of another blast into the wall. Often there is someone free like this loitering at free kicks but the ball is never played to them. 

I don't think we're out of this at all, with the typical football irony that we only need to beat Leeds 1 in 4 attempts this season to progress ahead of them.

Well that was desperately disappointing. We got exactly what we deserved from that game - zilch!

It was a lacklustre game between two teams who looked spent. But Leeds dug in and showed better battling instincts. Whereas we seemed to freeze and shrivel up under the weight of the occasion, Leeds showed more fight, more desire, more purpose, more organisation and generally played to a plan, and that was the difference. They executed their game plan far better. They wanted it more, simply put.

Having given so much in getting to this point, to me it appeared we just had no gas left in the tank, and couldn’t lift ourselves to perform. I imagine seeing Nugent in the starting line up must have given the Leeds players a lift too. They knew if they could shut down Bogle, Mount, Wilson and Lawrence, we would have no threat, and it showed.

The thing is that it was clear at half time that we needed to make changes. But Frank wasn’t proactive enough - it was unforgivable to wait until the impetus was entirely with Leeds and the game effectively gone before making changes, and then oddly taking off Holmes, who was our only spark.

The penalty shout looked genuine in real time - from the north end of the East Stand at least - but it simply would have been our get out of jail card and totally undeserved.

Today we saw the difference between a team that have been coached and primed for promotion all season and a team that haven’t. The gulf in class was painful.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Leeds are indeed a good team but I disagree. We made Leeds look better than they are today, Leeds are in dire form, even the worst team in the league beat them last week. Let’s not make them out to be better than they are, Leeds weren’t great either. Before today, Leeds hadn’t won in a month. Not having a single shot on target at home for us is embarrassing at this stage of the season. The only positive from today is that we managed to keep it down to 1-0 so the game isn’t completely out of reach.

To be fair, even in their "dire form" they've put out better overall performances than they did against us today
Derby limited them to 12 shots, 3 on target, 57% possession. That's a lot for any side, but look at the games running up to this, none of which they won:
Ipswich: 27 shots, 7 on target, 65% possession
Villa: 27 shots, 5 on target, 69% possession
Brentford: 18 shots, 3 on target, 63% possession
Wigan: 36 shots, 10 on target, 77% possession
and they've put up similar stats to that in almost every single game they've played. They've constantly outplayed sides, they've just been awful at outscoring them lately. 

Well they should have had 2 players sent off for head butt and Holmes being heald around the neck on the ground but yet he got booked and to make this worest ref was from Sheffield.

Just like nick name dirty leeds I was left feeling fuming with ref and linesmen.

Sat outside the train station dying for a pish. Numerous pints in the Brunswick and a curry to quell the disappointment. 

We didn't  really perform. Had my fears when I saw Nuge was starting. Terrible referee. But let's be honest Leeds were better. 

3 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

As what ?  A manager I assume.

This is cringeworthy embarrassing statement 

His first season what are you rating him on exactly?

Congratulations on deleting half the sentence and taking what I said out of context.

As someone who has never rated Lampard and the current squad as much as some on here

I’m simply saying I don’t think he is a good as some people on here think he is. I’m well aware it’s his first season, just some on here act like he’s far ahead of where he actually is in his development. I’ve said in my other posts that I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how he’s gone in his first season, just I also think a more experienced manager would have got more out of the squad and that lampard has a lot more failings at the moment than others like to let on.

but you know, feel free to have a cringeworthy and embarrassing tantrum just because you can’t read properly.

2 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Congratulations on deleting half the sentence and taking what I said out of context.

As someone who has never rated Lampard and the current squad as much as some on here

I’m simply saying I don’t think he is a good as some people on here think he is. I’m well aware it’s his first season, just some on here act like he’s far ahead of where he actually is in his development.

but you know, feel free to have a cringeworthy and embarrassing tantrum just because you can’t read properly.

Firstly, I will apologise for perhaps not reading your entire post before replying.

Emotions are high and I’ve been in the pub so I made my reply purely on reading your first line. My mistake as it seems it wasn’t your point entirely.

but hey no hard feelings 

10 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

I’m simply saying I don’t think he is a good as some people on here think he is. I’m well aware it’s his first season, just some on here act like he’s far ahead of where he actually is in his development. I’ve said in my other posts that I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how he’s gone in his first season, just I also think a more experienced manager would have got more out of the squad and that lampard has a lot more failings at the moment than others like to let on.

Pipe down, Frank has done a great job, I am proud of the team, today was a poor day, but overall he and the team have done well, hope you are going to do one and not be here next season, we need pp rocking with positive support, not sky style supporters like yourself who knows nothing about the game, Frank has restored pride in our club, Do us a favour and do one you half wit. Once A Ram Always A Ram.

17 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Also Frank has done a MUCH better job than anyone could image, even managers with more experience, Frank is our future so get behind him and the club.

Archived