Derby County vs Leeds United (Play-offs)

cannable

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Keogh not helping matters on Radio Derby. Sounds defensive and insists they played well. Also to be petty he doesn't fill you with confidence how he speaks, if this is our leader who can barely vocalise a sentence, it's hard to believe there's thats a fierce leader who can inspire his players. 

You're absolutely right!

It was petty.

2 minutes ago, goldstar said:

Keogh not helping matters on Radio Derby. Sounds defensive and insists they played well. Also to be petty he doesn't fill you with confidence how he speaks, if this is our leader who can barely vocalise a sentence, it's hard to believe there's thats a fierce leader who can inspire his players. 

Even Liam rosenior and Keith Andrews picked up on this point  in the West Brom game about his interview about his defeatist attitude re Keogh saying about it’s a successful season no matter what and they mentioned how he needs to be more positive. Rosenior said that Hughton installed into them at BRighton that winning is all that matters, it isn’t success until you have achieved something.

Cheers for that,sat in a Spanish bar surrounded by Leeds fans and we put out a tactical performance like that.

No doubt the boys are up for it but why are we showing them any respect,they are not good enough to have beaten us tonight...a draw would have been a fair result.

Onwards and upwards,it's a massive learning experience and let's hammer and humilate them at home.

Not being funny but if you need a bloke with an elastic band around his arm to inspire you then you're a pussy.

It's an armband. Not a therapy pillow. 

You're not in the trenches being shot at by the Germans. You're not looking for someone to drag you out over the top and charge the Nazi bar stewards. 

You're playing football for a place in the Premier League and the manager has given you a job. If that's not enough to motivate you and you need an inspiring speech from a bloke wearing a 5 inch band then you're a massive knob head

2 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We simply didn’t turn up!

Such a shame after the promise and momentum of the last few weeks. 

We should have given it a real go, not gone off to whimper in corner..........we had nothing to lose!

I felt the momentum of the last wrrks had gone by minute 15

Our only tactic all game was to punt it long to a lone centre-forward. It was exactly the same as the Stoke game. Rubbish.

Doesn't matter how many talents you put on the pitch or what formation you line up in, if you haven't got a decent game plan, our even a slither of tactical nous, you stand no chance.

5 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Even Liam rosenior and Keith Andrews picked up on this point  in the West Brom game about his interview about his defeatist attitude re Keogh saying about it’s a successful season no matter what and they mentioned how he needs to be more positive. Rosenior said that Hughton installed into them at BRighton that winning is all that matters, it isn’t success until you have achieved something.

Exactly. I think people downplay the mental side of football. Of course you need the natural talent but intelligence is needed and some of the things he says (plus repetitive 'like you say') doesn't give me confidence. 

I noticed that too like he's almost going 'don't get your hopes up!' as a defence mechanism.

IMO and no doubt this will immensely popular lol but whenever we play Leeds we never seem to control the midfield and for this reason I'd play Huddlestone in the the centre on weds as Mount,Wilson are better going forward as is Holmes but are not holding enough at the right times . id like to see Huddlestone sitting deep having someone win it and give it to him and let him ping it everywhere 451 or 4231 with hopefully Waghorn up top who can then bring the likes of Mount Wilson Holmes Lawrence into the game...Waghorn was massively missed today for his all round centre forward play especially holding it up

The first 60 of the game today was as spineless and gutless a performance I've ever seen from Derby, considering the context. No pressure, no closing, no urgency in passing. Duane Holmes is exempt from this, since his performance today was pretty much spot on today. Nugent should never start a game for Derby County again. Nothing personal, but he's ducking poo and well past his sell by date. We looked miles better when Marriott came on. 

Think our tactics were all wrong, we sat off Leeds far too much and by the end when we were in the ascendancy we were creating chances. The lack of bravery really cost us today, always taking the safe pass, and always being too slow. I just hope knowing when we go to Elland Road we have to win or our season is over gives them the kick up the arse they clearly need to take risks in possession and go for it. We've given ourselves a mountain to climb.

As much as I dislike Leeds, they proved today they are a quality side. We were not at our best but Leeds got it spot on. They pressured us, forced us to play long hopeful balls and showed some amazing one- two touch passing moves. We showed glimpses of this fast movement but did not test their keeper at all and were second best all match (apart from first few minutes).

I just couldn't work out what we were trying to do. The Sky app had us lined up in a 4231, rather than our 433 with Johnson and Mount in the 2.

But I didn't actually see mount in the centre midfield area all game. He seemed to be out wide hugging touchlines....

Duane holmes actually looked useful, but many of our other players just seemed to give up the ghost at the first sign of adversity.

Wilson had a couple of dribbles but seemed peeved at not getting fouls and then took an utterly rubbish free kick.

we didn't seem to get any support around nugent at any stage.

The ease with which leeds found space behind our fullbacks repeatedly was embarrassing.

Yes, we are only 1-down But if frank can't get them firing a bit more on Wednesday then its tie over.

really sad after the efforts of the last few weeks.

Archived