The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Would never be overt of course.

How would you know if eg NICE were presented with choices of drugs from us pharma companies at several times the price of current?

This sort of thing is well hidden from view and only usually gets surfaced in places like private eye - which has a tiny circulation. 

I would imagine with the coverage the NHS has had in this election it is something that will remain high on the political and media agenda for years to come. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

My Dad was born in Ireland so I think I can get Irish passport. I never lived there, will be kids be able to get one too does anyone know?

You get one and that's quite simple if your dad was an Irish citizen (Republic) and not just born by chance on a holiday- i.e you have Irish grandparents . So will your children but that's a complicated application .  You will need the original copy of your father's birth certificate to register them and other document's - it's a lot of forms . Any grandchildren you may have won't be considered for an Irish passport. 

I will say, now that voting is done with; I really don't like Corbyn.

I'm pretty left-center (and right on a couple of issues) but there's something about him I really can't stand. 

I hate Boris way more; and I dislike Amanda Solloway of Derby North so I was always voting Labour; but it does annoy me that Labour couldn't get a leader less polarising.

They didn't need some universally loved, they literally needed someone who the majority would describe as "OK, I suppose." and they'd have won.

I do think he's been smeared over recent times but the painting wasn't clean beforehand.

I also wanted to say that now because I still want it out there even if the exit polls were somehow wildly incorrect and he won.

Actually feel quite sad tonight. Silly really because this was inevitable really the moment Jezza doubled back on Brexit. As someone who was a leave advocate himself, he must now be feeling quite deflated. Not sticking to his guns has turned out to be a catastrophic error of judgement. Support in the North has not so much melted away as gushed in torrents to the Tory ballot boxes simply because in offering a second referendum, Labour drove away a huge section of their own supporters. I don't agree with them voting for this particular Tory government, but I fully understand why they have.

It seems to me that Labour also massively underestimated the effect of Brexit fatigue and we are now consigned, most likely, to not one but two further terms of Tory government. Most worrying is the size of the majority, assuming the Exit polls are somewhere near the mark and I'd say the same thing were the shoe on the other foot. 

As to what happens next, numerous friends and even family now face a rather uncertain future as foreign nationals in the UK. I also have quite a few friends who are not as lucky as me and who have had a very hard time of it in recent years and I worry for them too. I find myself clinging to the hope that I've misread everything and that my fears are unfounded but it does rather feel like clutching at straws. Time will tell I suppose.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

100%

None of us have crystal balls and only go with our gut feeling.

From what I have heard (not read it all myself) there is nothing in that document that indicates that the NHS will be sold off to the Americans.  

Donald Trump had said they are not interested.

If it turns out to be a lie, I would never vote Conservative again. 

Thats the spirit.

31 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Exit poll also predicting pretty much a clean sweep for the SNP in Scotland.

How can anyone deny the Scots a second referendum if that is the case? 

They can have one. Polls are showing less and less support for an independent Scotland. Lowest they have been for a long time. 

Just now, Curtains said:

Blyth Valley goes Tory

Incredible result 

Apart from the fact it's one of the most depressed struggling areas of the country - the winning Tory MP is an ex NHS worker?! 

Fair play he sounded sincere in his speech that he wanted to build a strong economy to turn the area around - but he's going to get to Westminster and be surrounded by Eton twits who will give him duck all 

3 minutes ago, Norman said:

They can have one. Polls are showing less and less support for an independent Scotland. Lowest they have been for a long time. 

The SNP would be wise to settle for a vote at the end of the decade and I think Boris would be willing to grant them that. 

In a couple of years time there will be lots of people who voted to get brexit done in labour heartlands wondering what they have done to themselves. The public gets what the public wants and they have legitimised politicians blatantly lying to win a vote and further their own self interest. I find it terribly sad. I’m going to bed now and will seek solace in unconsciousness.

Derby County, Derbyshire CCC, England and Labour. I really know how to pick them! 

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Apart from the fact it's one of the most depressed struggling areas of the country - the winning Tory MP is an ex NHS worker?! 

Fair play he sounded sincere in his speech that he wanted to build a strong economy to turn the area around - but he's going to get to Westminster and be surrounded by Eton twits who will give him duck all 

63% turnout. Worryingly low for a ge where we're used to seeing 70-80% as a normal range....

Disenfranchised voters, not good for representative democracy. 

Looks like it’s going to be a Tory landslide 

labour have one man and one man only to blame 

Jeremy you’ve cocked this right up by ignoring the biggest political issue this side of WW2

people are fed up with brexit dragging on..... so his response of “being open minded” about it translates of 3-4 more years of backwards and forwards negotiations 

Your fault Jeremy I expect to see u sacked in the morning 

Archived