The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Van Wolfie said:

How much is Theresa May wishing she’d gone with that instead of Strong & Stable right now??

Like him or loathe him Johnson has been visible during the campaign,  may wasnt.

If the exit poll is right and I don't take anything as fact until it actually is, you would imagine that Corbyn has to go. 

Unfortunately Momentum have control of Labour atm, I would put money on the next leader being equally as far left as the current one.  Until they return to the middle the Tories wino matter how bad they are will continue to run riot.

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I work in Mansfield a lot of people come from the surrounding mining areas Mansfield, Sutton in Ashfield, Kirkby in Ashfield etc they voted leave and see Labour as a betraying what they voted for. These are Labour strong holds let’s see how people have voted in these constituencies.

Indeed so. The leaving of the EU has to work through fully. I expect it to yield no benefit for places like Mansfield etc, but until that is actually experienced  people will still believe that the Johnson line will come true.

1 minute ago, Van Wolfie said:

How much is Theresa May wishing she’d gone with that instead of Strong & Stable right now??

Complacent wasn't she? 

Assumed she'd get a large majority, bit her on the arse when it didn't happen.

Now we have an empowered Boris, let's hope he can get negotiations with the EU over and done with in good time.

I can't see it, but hope is all I have.

10 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

People don't like change - and labour this time would be a huge change. 

And brexit is massive - people want it finished. Boris's campaign was totally based on getting brexit sorted and that's what people want to hear. It's a lie, he can't get brexit sorted, but nobody cares about that.

He couldn't get the deal renegotiated either though could he? Was that a lie to?

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

My Dad was born in Ireland so I think I can get Irish passport. I never lived there, will be kids be able to get one too does anyone know?

Yes both you and the kids will be able to get an Irish passport. Your partner, unless they also have an Irish heritage, wont be entitled to one.

5 minutes ago, maxjam said:

If the exit poll is right and I don't take anything as fact until it actually is, you would imagine that Corbyn has to go. 

Unfortunately Momentum have control of Labour atm, I would put money on the next leader being equally as far left as the current one.  Until they return to the middle the Tories wino matter how bad they are will continue to run riot.

i doubt momentum will be a force within labour come next week

2 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Yes both you and the kids will be able to get an Irish passport. Your partner, unless they also have an Irish heritage, wont be entitled to one.

From experience, the hardest part will be getting your parent to remember where their birth certificate is, if they even have one!

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

He didn't. What he got was an earlier draft of May's deal that she deemed wasn't palatable to the country. Nothing was new.

So it was different to the deal May.put before Parliament.

And we were told that he could not get the EU to reopen the Withdrawal Agreement but he did just that.

15 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I don't believe this exit poll. Think obviously a majority but struggling to see what was so bad about the labour campaign for it to be this good/bad. 

Its pretty obvious isnt it? This election was fought on one issue - Brexit. Labours strongholds are in London and old mining areas in the North/Wales/Midlands. 75% of his roughly two hundred non-London seats voted leave and he refused to pick a side. They already feel abandoned by London and this certainly did nothing to help. It might be a bold strategy, but it is utterly stupid from whoever was in charge of their campaign.

They've also lost the vote of the moderates that will never vote for Corbyn policies. Labour will never win an election again if they stay in this position on the political spectrum.

8 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

....and a return of moderate Labour?

blimey

That size of majority isn’t a good thing imo. Either way. 

I sincerely hope it’s a lot closer than that. 

Moderate Labour wont return unless theyve changed how their leader is selected? They have to get past the trade unions first.

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I think Corbyn will do the honourable thing. What however comes next for Labour is much harder to call. The broadly amicable split of ‘old’ and ‘new’ is now more likely to turn into potentially a bitter divorce battle. 

24 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I don't believe this exit poll. Think obviously a majority but struggling to see what was so bad about the labour campaign for it to be this good/bad. 

it is merely indicative of the polls over the last few weeks

Archived