The Politics Thread 2019

Day

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

I think Corbyn will do the honourable thing. What however comes next for Labour is much harder to call. The broadly amicable split of ‘old’ and ‘new’ is now more likely to turn into potentially a bitter divorce battle. 

would imagine it goes new labour 2

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

So it was different to the deal May.put before Parliament.

And we were told that he could not get the EU to reopen the Withdrawal Agreement but he did just that.

He got the EU to reopen the Withdrawal agreement by scrapping one of Teresa Mays red lines, ensuring that the island of Ireland would stay under the EU's control in the event of his deal.

The EU didn't move an inch.

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Indeed so. The leaving of the EU has to work through fully. I expect it to yield no benefit for places like Mansfield etc, but until that is actually experienced  people will still believe that the Johnson line will come true.

The main problem was the amount of Eastern Europeans in the towns and it wasn’t being controlled. I think they were working at places like sports direct but the locals felt helpless to do anything about it.

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

He got the EU to reopen the Withdrawal agreement by scrapping one of Teresa Mays red lines, ensuring that the island of Ireland would stay under the EU's control in the event of his deal.

The EU didn't move an inch.

So the backstop is still in Johnson's deal?

25 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I work in Mansfield a lot of people come from the surrounding mining areas Mansfield, Sutton in Ashfield, Kirkby in Ashfield etc they voted leave and see Labour as a betraying what they voted for. These are Labour strong holds let’s see how people have voted in these constituencies.

will all go blue im sure

3 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

RUTH Davidson has vowed to go skinny dipping in Loch Ness if the SNP win 50 seats at tomorrow's General Election.

But the ex-Scottish Tory leader, 41, firmly believes her modesty will remain "unmolested" as she does not think the Nats will manage it.

image.png.2adaaf7c3b548debb9b3aa4a7bc78fb4.png

giphy.gif

I try to be woke, considerate to others feelings, and understanding of a lot of issues.

But the sexist caveman in me can't resist.

Ruth Davison might swim naked in Loch Ness, but I wouldn't call it skinny dipping.

Just now, reverendo de duivel said:

I try to be woke, considerate to others feelings, and understanding of a lot of issues.

Ruth Davison might swim naked in Loch Ness, but I wouldn't call it skinny dipping.

What a terrible thing to say.

However on a positive note think what it will do for tourism as fresh sightings of nessie are announced. 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So it was different to the deal May.put before Parliament.

And we were told that he could not get the EU to reopen the Withdrawal Agreement but he did just that.

Actually,  Juncker was reported as saying that the EU would not renegotiate the withdrawal agreement but would examine proposals as long as they were compatible with it.

Which is exactly what happened. So Boris achieved nothing if you were looking at this from the eu lens. They gave nothing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/25/michel-barnier-boris-johnsons-combative-rhetoric-targets-eu-unity

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It's ok to be mean if it's funny ?

32 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

That size of majority isn’t a good thing imo.

The only possible silver lining in a larger Tory majority is that he won't have to pander to his ERG disaster capitalist nutter MPs quite so much. Probably wishful thinking on my part

Oh and also if he has a decent majority then it's all on him - no blaming it on anyone else if it all goes titsup. They really are going to have to own the crap when it hits the fan

Disappointing (predictive) news. But I'm not going to pretend to know the future and get angry at this outcome.

It just seems, in simple terms, that the Brexit issue beat out the NHS stuff - which surprises me somewhat, especially with the leaked documents. 

Still don't think Brexit's certain to happen even with Boris so it'll be interesting to see the response if it doesn't.

I will say though; *if* the worst happens to the NHS and Brexit proves to be calamitously self destructive literally everyone (perhaps minus the 1%) will be united in anger - makes you wonder what happens in that scenario. 

Based on international history, not usually anything good.

9 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

would imagine it goes new labour 2

Perhaps. @86 Schmokes & a Pancake said earlier:

As to what I'd like, that would be an end to austerity measures, an economic strategy that might actually stimulate the economy rather than strangling it, a fairer benefits system for those who have genuine need, a living wage and for the government to address child poverty. If that means I pay an extra couple of pence on the pound in tax, I'm fine with that.

I can’t think many would disagree with any of that. Labour needs to find a credible Leader offering less radical left wing policies. If it does it will again appeal to many voters who quite like the centre ground.

5 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

What a terrible thing to say.

However on a positive note think what it will do for tourism as fresh sightings of nessie are announced. 

What would be more disappointing as tourist though?

Watching a flat loch all day, or seeing a flabby arse breach the surface?

She could always paint 'Get Broxit Done' across her cheeks, I suppose.

That's not a typo either, there has to be a O in the middle after all.

Maybe need a new slogan!

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Disappointing (predictive) news. But I'm not going to pretend to know the future and get angry at this outcome.

It just seems, in simple terms, that the Brexit issue beat out the NHS stuff - which surprises me somewhat, especially with the leaked documents

Still don't think Brexit's certain to happen even with Boris so it'll be interesting to see the response if it doesn't.

I will say though; *if* the worst happens to the NHS and Brexit proves to be calamitously self destructive literally everyone (perhaps minus the 1%) will be united in anger - makes you wonder what happens in that scenario. 

Based on international history, not usually anything good.

I actually think that this did Labour a lot of damage. A big press conference with Labour activists handing out a 451 page document, dressed as nhs workers while Corbyn stood there proclaiming it as proof of the nhs for sale. 

Everyone agrees it was nothing of the sort. 

Archived