The Politics Thread 2019

Day

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Well anyone care to predict what type of brexit the country will end up with now? 

Or is the answer still leave means leave.

When will leave, the day when we stop paying money to the EU, actually happen. One, two three years time.

Or could we still end up with, Rees-Mogg 's wet dream, of a hard brexit.

The indication is a soft ‘un because Johnson will no longer has to rely on the hard liners in his party I think? Depends how strong the majority is I guess.

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Norman said:

You're wrong in that assumption. And I think you know it.

Do you think Mass immigration has put the NHS under huge strain? 

Do you think management in the NHS needs reforming? 

Do you think that even though we spend more than ever in real terms and as a percentage of taxes that it is being underfunded on purpose by the Conservatives? 

Do you think that Labour selling off more of the NHS than anyone else makes you sound about hypocritical surrounding your stance on the Conservatives? 

Do you think hospitals such as the one in question are struggling with being overcrowded due to the population rising sharply?

How much and how long are you willing to spend building new hospitals?

Do you think 300,000 people using the NHS extra a year is helping with overcrowding? 

Do you believe that, immigrants making a positive contribution to this country on average, are paying enough taxes to build all this new infrastructure? Or are we having to spend more taxes than ever to keep up with demand? 

Do you thin nk this country has a problem with the abuse of the NHS? Binge drinking, fighting, A and E admittance when they really don't need it etc?

Do you think the Tory majority would push through new legislation to change how the NHS is protected by law from any FTAs? 

Why would they? It would be political suicide. 

The Tories have deliberately underfunded front line care of the NHS. Extra money has gone to private corporations profits, not care.

I think you know that.

8 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Everyone on here seems labour, twitter and fb seems labour- how do the tories keep winning? I voted tory, but Im confused and pleasantly surprised lol

Labour have a more vocal backing, certainly, typically from controlling the younger vote. I understand that labour are seen as the caring party and people don't mind throwing their public support behind them. I think that's it in a nutshell. 

5 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Labour have a more vocal backing, certainly, typically from controlling the younger vote. I understand that labour are seen as the caring party and people don't mind throwing their public support behind them. I think that's it in a nutshell. 

Think the stigma of voting tory is hindering labour too. Your not going to change peoples minds by calling them "uncaring" or "racist"

11 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Everyone on here seems labour, twitter and fb seems labour- how do the tories keep winning? I voted tory, but Im confused and pleasantly surprised lol

A lot of people saying they had voted Labour online were already in safe seats. Essentially a lot of saying the right thing and not enough realising the actual possibility of losing seats like Bolsover, Don Valley etc 

Just now, Van Gritters said:

I am gob smacked how little impact the Green Party have had.

People, by and large, don't care about climate change. They don't see the immediate effects. 

My mum has told me on numerous occasions that it's not real. I laugh at her, of course, but millions of people are of the same mind. 

Younger voters typically seem to be more mindful of climate change, social issues, etc. The older generation just aren't bothered. 

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

A lot of people saying they had voted Labour online were already in safe seats. Essentially a lot of saying the right thing and not enough realising the actual possibility of losing seats like Bolsover, Don Valley etc 

Im mostly right wing, but love Skinner- would always vote for labour if I was in boslover

27 minutes ago, Norman said:

You're wrong in that assumption. And I think you know it.

Do you think Mass immigration has put the NHS under huge strain? 

Do you think management in the NHS needs reforming? 

Do you think that even though we spend more than ever in real terms and as a percentage of taxes that it is being underfunded on purpose by the Conservatives? Yes

Do you think that Labour selling off more of the NHS than anyone else makes you sound about hypocritical surrounding your stance on the Conservatives? More has been sold off in the last 10years, it goes up every year. The previous Labour government were wrong to go down the privatisation route imo.

Do you think hospitals such as the one in question are struggling with being overcrowded due to the population rising sharply? No, overcrowding is due to underfunding.

How much and how long are you willing to spend building new hospitals? We are the 5th richest country in the world, we can afford to look after our sick people if we choose to.

Do you think 300,000 people using the NHS extra a year is helping with overcrowding? Don't know where you get those figures from so can't really answer. 

Do you believe that, immigrants making a positive contribution to this country on average, are paying enough taxes to build all this new infrastructure? Or are we having to spend more taxes than ever to keep up with demand? Probably a different argument, I was talking about the NHS.

Do you thin nk this country has a problem with the abuse of the NHS? Binge drinking, fighting, A and E admittance when they really don't need it etc? Absolutely. Better education and preventing poverty would help.

Do you think the Tory majority would push through new legislation to change how the NHS is protected by law from any FTAs? Yes, without a shadow of doubt. Many Toiy politicians are already paid or funded by private health corporations.

Why would they? It would be political suicide. Not if they have control of the narrative. Its worked in the USA that public healthcare is a communist policy.

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I'd sleep with your eyes open tonight buddy. ?

Shes currently pregnant and uses the term 'you did this to me' on an hourly basis... voting conservative is the least of my worries! ? I know we have technically cancelled each other's votes but Lincoln is a marginal area... the joy is no matter who wins this seat one can moan  about how crap they are and the other is happy they won. I know it's a cliche but I think people get In their own world so much that they forget we are so lucky even to have a choice... even if who people have voted for down win we should be grateful that as a collective we have a choice. Sorry to go on a tangent but I could easily vote labour... but being from a military background and my upbringing I could never vote corbyn, looking at the exit poll I'd happily vote labour next time id that cretin is gone. I also appreciate peoples opinion of Corbyn being good and wouldn't even think of belittling anyone for their opinion, it's the beauty of being great British... we are ALLOWED an opinion. Again sorry for going on a rant. 

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

People, by and large, don't care about climate change. They don't see the immediate effects. 

My mum has told me on numerous occasions that it's not real. I laugh at her, of course, but millions of people are of the same mind. 

Younger voters typically seem to be more mindful of climate change, social issues, etc. The older generation just aren't bothered. 

Yep the faster us old gits die off, the better it'll be for the future of the world.

16 minutes ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Shes currently pregnant and uses the term 'you did this to me' on an hourly basis... voting conservative is the least of my worries! ? I know we have technically cancelled each other's votes but Lincoln is a marginal area... the joy is no matter who wins this seat one can moan  about how crap they are and the other is happy they won. I know it's a cliche but I think people get In their own world so much that they forget we are so lucky even to have a choice... even if who people have voted for down win we should be grateful that as a collective we have a choice. Sorry to go on a tangent but I could easily vote labour... but being from a military background and my upbringing I could never vote corbyn, looking at the exit poll I'd happily vote labour next time id that cretin is gone. I also appreciate peoples opinion of Corbyn being good and wouldn't even think of belittling anyone for their opinion, it's the beauty of being great British... we are ALLOWED an opinion. Again sorry for going on a rant. 

Baffles me how women use that phrase so often haha. No one forced you to have sex hahahaha

Channel 4's alternative political show somehow resulted in Boris Johnson's dad saying that 'female fighter jet' pilots shouldn't be allowed to wear Burkas. I mean, I don't know why or what in god's name caused him to go down this route, but... this is where we're at! 

24 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Channel 4's alternative political show somehow resulted in Boris Johnson's dad saying that 'female fighter jet' pilots shouldn't be allowed to wear Burkas. I mean, I don't know why or what in god's name caused him to go down this route, but... this is where we're at! 

Wecome to Johnson's shiny new world.

Just got in from a night out. Slightly intoxicated.

Naturally, as someone who voted Labour, I’m very disappointed by the results that are coming in. I really do think that Boris Johnson is a bully, a racist and a homophobe. And I really do think that a government led by Jeremy Corbyn would be one that looked out for those who needed it most.

Hey ho. No grudges held for those who voted Conservative. I believe that the vast majority voted for what they thought was best for the country, and not for their personal gain.

Disappointed, but here’s hoping Labour get a more electable leader next time round. I have ambitions to be a millionaire, but I genuinely do not think that I’ll ever vote Conservative. Just my view.

I hope any arguments in this thread resolve themselves tonight. At the end of the day, we all joined this great forum because we love Derby County. Politics should always be secondary to that. I love this club.

11 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just got in from a night out. Slightly intoxicated.

Naturally, as someone who voted Labour, I’m very disappointed by the results that are coming in. I really do think that Boris Johnson is a bully, a racist and a homophobe. And I really do think that a government led by Jeremy Corbyn would be one that looked out for those who needed it most.

Hey ho. No grudges held for those who voted Conservative. I believe that the vast majority voted for what they thought was best for the country, and not for their personal gain.

Disappointed, but here’s hoping Labour get a more electable leader next time round. I have ambitions to be a millionaire, but I genuinely do not think that I’ll ever vote Conservative. Just my view.

I hope any arguments in this thread resolve themselves tonight. At the end of the day, we all joined this great forum because we love Derby County. Politics should always be secondary to that. I love this club.

Your always go on nights out ! Good post!

Archived