Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

It's been known, wasn't Steve McClaren Sven's assistant?

50 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

It will certainly be interesting in the future should the England job come-a-knocking for Frank. The national team doesn't generally have an assitant manager does it?

Steve Holland is the current Assistant Manager to Gareth Southgate

I don't bear either Lampard or Jody Morris any ill will. I believe that they are genuine when they say only Chelsea could have pulled them away at this stage and their departing statements seem heartfelt.

Nobody could have predicted Chelsea's interest this soon and it probably caught everyone off guard. I believe they came to Derby with every intention of honouring their commitments and do a job for us.  I've never doubted their commitment or enthusiasm over the course of last season for one moment.

However, as soon as it was clear that Chelsea's interest was genuine (however premature that interest may seem outside Stamford Bridge) there was only ever going to be one outcome. I was just a question of how and when. 

It's not going to be a popular opinion but I think (on the whole) both Lampard and Jody have been about as dignified and respectful as they could have been expected to be. The Chelsea approach probably came much sooner than either of them (or Mel Morris) were expecting and it was always going to be a bit uneasy.

Again, it won't be popular and I could be wrong, but there appears to me to have been at least some concession from Chelsea (regarding the timing and 'dragged out' nature of the process) to enable Derby/Mel to get their ducks in a row manager wise. Much better than Lampard simply announcing that he was off two or three weeks ago and leaving us up a certain creek without any means of propulsion.

Regarding the interventions from the 'Lampard Camp', I don't believe their was ever any orchestrated conspiracy going on there. Chelsea never needed convincing and Lampard didn't need persuading. The media love a soundbite and they went for the obvious candidates. We will never know what Lampard thought or said about them privately. 

Anyway, the imminent (touch wood) appointment of Cocu has more than softened the blow. He is, arguably, more qualified for the Chelsea job than Lampard is. Mel Morris has displayed exemplary stewardship, patience  and dignity throughout this process and has seemingly come up trumps. He has handled an extremely difficult situation as well as anybody could possibly be expected to and credit should go to him for that. 

On 10/02/2019 at 18:11, David said:

I might create a canned response for this, every time Chelsea go on a bad run of form.....is Lampard off?

Kinda thing you expect to fill the tabloid gossip columns and Skybet let’s chuck a load of names out then slap odds on, not something we should be worried about, especially 7 months after giving him his first chance in management. 

Where’s ya canned response now eh? Eh?

Thought so. 

get out GIF

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

So glad it mentioned the fact that they had to keep silent. That should quieten down the entitled whingers who demanded day-by-day updates.

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Just out of curiousity  -anyone know who Adam Storrer is?

Player Liason Officer. A very important role in the modern day, as they look after pretty much every aspect of the players’ lives.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/06/player-liaison-officer-aston-villa-lorna-mclelland

Obviously the main negative of this whole thing was just how long it took. We'll never know just how necessary it was for it to take this long, but I'm glad Jody has addressed the silence and made a point of saying it was out of respect and not disrespect. Jody seems like an extremely and genuine guy so I'm happy to take his word for it.

I still think we've come out of this the best though. We're the ones who have been more open to the fans and the media, even when I feel there has been disrespect towards us in this whole scenario. It made me laugh yesterday watching Sky Sports when they were discussing Wilfred Zaha to Arsenal. One of the presenters made a point of stressing that they need to be respectful towards Crystal Palace and stop talking about Zaha as if he's already an Arsenal player to which the rest of the studio agreed. I don't remember any mention of that towards us and Chelsea?

Yet still, Mel Morris has been willing to speak to the media and not only that, but speak so well. I had doubts early in his reign but I feel as an owner he's improved and learnt so much over the last couple years regarding decisions made both behind the scenes and in the public eye. We feel like a better-run club, more patient and with more of a plan. I think it's a huge credit to him that we seem to be coming out of this almost unaffected. We've lost a manager that the majority of fans loved, and for a lot of clubs there would almost certainly be a bit of turmoil in response to that. But we've used this time to bring in another exciting appointment, with a great CV, and someone who can almost make it seem like Frank never even left and that's exactly what we need with the season just a month away.

More than happy for Frank and co to come back to see us, he did well for us and we did well for him.

really enjoyed last season so let’s hope we kick on this, on postseason are bringing on a really good replacement, i hope so.

i wish Frank well

so Florida, warm there, hard first game of the season and when will I get my season ticket, in short let’s move on now 

Lampard bought the feel good factor back to the club. We had some great performances and some poor ones but you could see what he was trying to do and it was great to see a bit of youth, energy and togetherness in the team.

The Chelsea job has come a lot earlier than expected, I thought we’d get two years out of him before a bigge lrnclub came knocking and that would concern me if I was him, not sure how he’ll get on in all honesty but there will certainly be struggles.

For us it actually looks good on paper, a sack full of loot and a more experienced manager, let’s hope he can build something great on Franks foundations.

20 minutes ago, erathirea said:

If anyone has been reading today's bbc sport live text updates.... my name is Ben, and I'm originally from Derby...

But I'm not that Ben, Derby.

But I do agree with Ben, Derby.

Yeah, apparently we're all "gutted" according to the BBC and a Derby fan on TalkSport this morning, who said he spoke for all Derby fans. I don't know where he's got that from. I'm not gutted.

6 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He finally had a manager who believes in him, back to square 1 again.

Not by himself though, will be on square 1 with every player so has the same chance to impress. Hasn’t got time to morn the loss.

Archived