Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LittleEatonRam said:

There was a Chelsea fan on TalkSport this morning from Durham who said he'd been a Chelsea fan for "50 years", and mentioned how a couple of years ago he'd been to Stamford Bridge for the first time. I'm not kidding.

Lived near Durham until I was 26 and have now supported the Rams for nearly 50 years. Only set foot in the BBG when I was 33 so there are a few of us around who ‘supported’ from afar. I do manage around 10 games a season now (home and away) but not possible to get there more frequently. However, being a kid with a bedroom plastered with photos of Rams players and a subscription to the Ram newspaper (as it was in those days) didn’t make me less of a fan (or did it?) My Saturdays or Tuesdays don’t hurt any less if we lose than if I’d been to the game. Perhaps I’m a half (or less!) fan but I still regard myself as a supporter and will be, unflinchingly, until my last breath.

6 minutes ago, Rambam said:

Is it me or did Frank look pretty uncomfortable in his farewell interview? 

Not just you. Seemed very awkward. I got the feeling that mentally he's long since moved on. Understandable in some ways. But decent to realize he had to try to give the fans closure. 

7 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not just you. Seemed very awkward. I got the feeling that mentally he's long since moved on. Understandable in some ways. But decent to realize he had to try to give the fans closure. 

From the sanctuary of the Chelsea showers, from the looks of it.

8 hours ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

I don't bear either Lampard or Jody Morris any ill will. I believe that they are genuine when they say only Chelsea could have pulled them away at this stage and their departing statements seem heartfelt.

Nobody could have predicted Chelsea's interest this soon and it probably caught everyone off guard. I believe they came to Derby with every intention of honouring their commitments and do a job for us.  I've never doubted their commitment or enthusiasm over the course of last season for one moment.

However, as soon as it was clear that Chelsea's interest was genuine (however premature that interest may seem outside Stamford Bridge) there was only ever going to be one outcome. I was just a question of how and when. 

It's not going to be a popular opinion but I think (on the whole) both Lampard and Jody have been about as dignified and respectful as they could have been expected to be. The Chelsea approach probably came much sooner than either of them (or Mel Morris) were expecting and it was always going to be a bit uneasy.

Again, it won't be popular and I could be wrong, but there appears to me to have been at least some concession from Chelsea (regarding the timing and 'dragged out' nature of the process) to enable Derby/Mel to get their ducks in a row manager wise. Much better than Lampard simply announcing that he was off two or three weeks ago and leaving us up a certain creek without any means of propulsion.

Regarding the interventions from the 'Lampard Camp', I don't believe their was ever any orchestrated conspiracy going on there. Chelsea never needed convincing and Lampard didn't need persuading. The media love a soundbite and they went for the obvious candidates. We will never know what Lampard thought or said about them privately. 

Anyway, the imminent (touch wood) appointment of Cocu has more than softened the blow. He is, arguably, more qualified for the Chelsea job than Lampard is. Mel Morris has displayed exemplary stewardship, patience  and dignity throughout this process and has seemingly come up trumps. He has handled an extremely difficult situation as well as anybody could possibly be expected to and credit should go to him for that. 

You're always too darned reasonable. 

I think he's aware of the fact of what he said post Wembley and sat there as Chelsea manager a few weeks later. Possibly a mixture of awkwardness and feeling nervous of the reaction from Derby fans and others around the world having left after 12 months.

Post Wembley looked genuine to me, as did the tears in his eyes at Elland Road, I don't doubt for a second he will have an eye out on our results and feature heavily in his next autobiography. 

Maybe heard rumblings around the play off final, but didn't think much of them, thought it wouldn't happen this soon and as he said were "obvious" links.  

Let's not forget he moved up here, got himself a house moving his family up from London. 

Either way, he's gone now, having talked about it for a month theres little more to be said.

Class from Frank and Jody today. It’s clear they both put everything into it and have a great deal of affection for the city and the club. Don’t get how anyone can be upset with them. Leaving for Chelsea, one of the biggest jobs in football and the club that is “your” club is perfectly understandable, the media circus around Lampard has created a lot of this ill feeling, but that comes with being such a huge name, and also importantly a Brit who is going to manage one of the big 6! Not happened for a while and media are in a frenzy over it.

I said if Mel’s happy I’m happy and Mel has said Frank has been exemplary throughout the whole process in regular contact with him keeping him informed every step of the way. He raised the profile of the club, he embraced the area, he should be fondly remembered for his time here albeit short. And while I’ve never liked Chelsea, i like them more now Frank and Jody are there and I wish them both success.

We move on now. We’ve got Cocu! Philip Co-oo-Cu!! It’s an upgrade and I’m really excited for new season!

If you don’t ducking bounce you’re a Red!

I wish Frank et al all the best for the new job. They are always going to have a soft spot for Derby and the fantastic opening into professional football management facilitated by Mel.

Despite the transfer embargo at Chelsea, they still have a massive number of players some of which will be going out for season long loans, and where better than under a Dutch maestro who will both develop and increase their value.

So let’s have Tomori back for starters Frank...an olive branch I think you would call it.

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I said if Mel’s happy I’m happy and Mel has said Frank has been exemplary throughout the whole process in regular contact with him keeping him informed every step of the way. He raised the profile of the club, he embraced the area, he should be fondly remembered for his time here albeit short. And while I’ve never liked Chelsea, i like them more now Frank and Jody are there and I wish them both success.

Yeah, tricky that it's Chelsea. Never really liked them after a load of poo going down with them at the BBG. But I'm not sure how long he'll last there with Brammy. Although I think he'll do better with 'higher level' players...

Didn’t like how long it took to conclude his move to Chelsea, didn’t like the Should I Stay Or Should I Go Now sketch, all the blurts bigging  him up, but that night at Elland Road will live long in my memory and for that reason I’ll always have a soft spot for him I suppose. Boy did I feel good that night.

I think I will agree with Simon Jordan on this whole saga , there is only one nest Lampard and Morris have ever been feathering and it certainly isn't one titled 'what's best for Derby County' 

Right , I'm off to put on a CD .......The best of The Charlatans ! 

??????????????

28 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

I think I will agree with Simon Jordan on this whole saga , there is only one nest Lampard and Morris have ever been feathering and it certainly isn't one titled 'what's best for Derby County' 

Right , I'm off to put on a CD .......The best of The Charlatans ! 

??????????????

What you gonna do after the 5 minutes of playing that?

Archived