Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by Day

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Nice to start the day being responded to by a silly quote.

On reflection, I must apologise. 

Sorry.

I think it would be very difficult now for Frank to stay (and convince us he's committed to Derby). They only difficulty (and it's a big one) is the financial implications of sacking him.

I just hope it doesn't come down to firing him. I hope he gets the job, we get some decent compensation and a good replacement as quickly as possible. 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said the best move to make given the current situation would be to put frank and his staff on leave. Can’t be having them carrying on while this is rumbling on in the background. Tbh I’d have put them on indefinite leave until this sorted one way or another, hopefully things get sorted one way or another tomorrow then otherwise we’ll have another decision to make. It’s a horrible situation to be in, starting pre season without the manager who’s gonna be in charge at Huddersfield, but it’s all down to Chelsea taking so bloody long. Nothing we can do other than what we’ve done which is the right call, it is getting disruptive now though and I’m fuming that it’s taking Chelsea this long to wrap it up. Detrimental to us but they don’t care. Just hope they wrap this up ASAP now because it’s getting ridiculous! Having no Permanent manager to start pre season is not a good thing at all, it’s gonna hurt our preparations now so let’s hope we can minimise the effect by Chelsea HURRYING THE duck UP!

Think that confirms frank as gone anyway now so there’s only one outcome now, and that’s a new manager at some point this week. Let’s hope we get the appointment right and we have a decent shortlist of options to interview and decide from. Just need chelsea to get this done so we can finally start our own recruitment process.

Is that what Frank is after - the sack/being fired.

Looks better on his CV - Derby sacked me because i wanted to talk to Chelsea. Looks better than reading - i walked out on Derby with 2 years of my contract remaining because Chelsea wanted me to manage them

Why is this dragging on? This is his Chelsea the one job he can’t refuse! If he loves them that much it’s surely a case of....where do I sign! I’m sure it didn’t take this long for him to become our manager?! 

17 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Enough is enough as far as I'm concerned. Mel should be telling Chelsea that if this is not sorted out by tomorrow we are withdrawing permission for Chelsea to continue to speak to Lampard. We are being royally mugged off here - regardless of what the first two days of pre season training consist of Lampard should be at Moor Farm, not poncing around in London.

Personally I'm done with him; I'm sick of the ducking media circus surrounding him and of the way he is being held up as some sort of saviour of our club. He took us from 6th place to 6th place. - he is not the Messiah.

Yep, have to agree with all of this. Lampard appeared to blind many of us with his bs about playing younger players and building for the future but looking at it clearly I'd find it hard to distinguish him from Rowett. 5 loan players, building the team around three of those, signing players in their late twenties like malone, waghorn and jozefzoon suggests he wasn't ever really planning to stay here long term, it was probably two years or bust from his point of view unfortunately.  People will say he gave Bogle a chance blah blah blah but I have to say that circumstances played their part too. Tomori was originally signed to play as a right back, he only played cb because of Davies' injury and Bogle benefitted from that. It wasn't a genius plan from lampard to give Bogle a chance from the beginning. The reason why Mac and Wassall still have fans on this forum is that what ever anyone can say about them, they were trying to build a team and style for the future  and we saw progressive improvement from them unlike Lampard and Rowett. Can anyone hand on heart say we improved as a team from the opening game against Reading,  to the end of the season? I like to think I'm semi competent with knowing about football but I couldn't tell you what Lampard was trying to achieve with his style. His free flowing football was a myth created by his friends and allies in the media. Lampard goes in the Clement and Rowett bracket category for me.

Watching some of the things said on here makes you smile.....all this  about committment,having Derby in his heart nonsense.He is a employee of the club the same has the players unless you are a borne and bred Derby fan you will have non of the above.

You could apply the same statements to Will Hughes he could have turned move to Watford but he didn't because he saw it has career progression.

1 minute ago, Rambalin said:

Watching some of the things said on here makes you smile.....all this  about committment,having Derby in his heart nonsense.He is a employee of the club the same has the players unless you are a borne and bred Derby fan you will have non of the above.

You could apply the same statements to Will Hughes he could have turned move to Watford but he didn't because he saw it has career progression.

Difference with Hughes is that he stayed here for many years, trying his hardest year after year to get us promoted and if we are honest probably couldn't give us anymore than he could have, Rowett didn't want him. Difference is that Lampard has stayed year one year and sodded off at the first opportunity. He can become Chelsea manager whenever he wants in his career, it's not a now or never situtation as Chelsea have a new manager every couple of years. 

10 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

We might have lost a manager but we have one hell of an owner. Calm, collective and learnt a lot in 5 years as chairman. 

He's one of our own.

I'm not so sure. Awkward position to be placed in.  However, this is a negotiation between us and Chelsea.   

Best negotiators present their hand/position and stay quiet and listen to response.

We've been going to media, on radio, releasing statements.  Chelsea as far as I am aware have said nothing publicly. 

This is getting messy and in employment law it's a brave call to ask employees to stay away from work ( especially as fans are concluding it's best Frank does nt affect the players whom he manages adversely ) 

It's close to being a frustration of contract, and could be argued the contract has ended due to the implied term of trust and confidence being absent.   

It's not normal to go on national radio and talk about your manager in such as way as Mel has today.   

We are now saying we are accelerating our moves to get a new manager. 

We should be

We should certainly not be announcing such a thing on national radio if we think we are going to get maximum compensation from Chelsea.   

London business etiquette is totally different.   They won't want to b paying millions for Frank and his backroom team unless they really have to 

Just now, Rambalin said:

I certainly am not saying anything about commitment to Derby its the way this saga has dragged out, if, a few days after Sarri's departure from Chelsea Frank had been rolled out as the new Chelsea manager i think he would have gone with good wishes because everyone knew he wanted the job but to leave the club in limbo is a stain on franks credibility

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Difference with Hughes is that he stayed here for many years, trying his hardest year after year to get us promoted and if we are honest probably couldn't give us anymore than he could have, Rowett didn't want him. Difference is that Lampard has stayed year one year and sodded off at the first opportunity. He can become Chelsea manager whenever he wants in his career, it's not a now or never situtation as Chelsea have a new manager every couple of years. 

Hate to be a pedant*, but he's actually just attempted to sod off.

*Actually, no I don't.

5 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Its not the same . The difference with Will was that Rowett had already told him he wasn't his type of player and that he had no future at Derby.

4 minutes ago, Igorlegend11 said:

I'm not so sure. Awkward position to be placed in.  However, this is a negotiation between us and Chelsea.   

Best negotiators present their hand/position and stay quiet and listen to response.

We've been going to media, on radio, releasing statements.  Chelsea as far as I am aware have said nothing publicly. 

This is getting messy and in employment law it's a brave call to ask employees to stay away from work ( especially as fans are concluding it's best Frank does nt affect the players whom he manages adversely ) 

It's close to being a frustration of contract, and could be argued the contract has ended due to the implied term of trust and confidence being absent.   

It's not normal to go on national radio and talk about your manager in such as way as Mel has today.   

We are now saying we are accelerating our moves to get a new manager. 

We should be

We should certainly not be announcing such a thing on national radio if we think we are going to get maximum compensation from Chelsea.   

London business etiquette is totally different.   They won't want to b paying millions for Frank and his backroom team unless they really have to 

I wouldn't say it is a brave call. Frank has just returned from holiday so Mel is giving him time to sort things out (exceptional circumstances)

The implied terms of trust and confidence also applies to an employee not just an employer within contracts

Lampard has completely handled this situation terribly, he has a PR team who will have told him to keep quiet, but I honestly believe Frank is tarnishing his squeeky clean reputation.

He has completey disregarded the thousands upon thousands of Derby fans who have taken him in, made him one of their own, I know you can't pick anyone 1 fan out, but I think of little Audrina...if I was Frank I would think I owed it to her to see the job through, he is a hero to that little girl....but No, it's all about him, he doesn't care about Derby or it's fans.

But, I think he is about to become unstuck, let's be honest his tactics aren't great, the handling of Marriott suggests he struggles with egos, he struggles to find a settled 11...it won't be long before he is sacked and his reputation in tatters.

I will be hoping he fails that is for sure!

Like Mel says, this was an always a likely eventuality at some point, given the Chelsea role is his dream job.

But players regularly return from holiday early to force through moves to clubs and if Frank was really so keen on going then he should have done the same.

You did a good job Frank, and you restored something special, but I still hope Phillip Cocu’s Derby County embarrass you in the cup next year.

2 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

I wouldn't say it is a brave call. Frank has just returned from holiday so Mel is giving him time to sort things out (exceptional circumstances)

The implied terms of trust and confidence also applies to an employee not just an employer within contracts

I've not heard Frank talk publicly about his employment so he certainly hasn't broken the implied terms of trust and confidence.

Frank returned from his holiday and then we announced we had given Chelsea permission for him to talk to Chelsea 

Today, we announce on national radio we are stepping up a replacement for Frank 

I'm not sticking up for Lampard, far from it.  I am observing a very difficult situation and going public is not ideal at all.  At its not ideal it's got to this stage 

Archived