Lampard and the Chelsea job

Poynton ram
Message added by David

If you wish to discuss Frank Lampard’s Chelsea FC results/performances, please use the topic linked below in the Football Forum.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/32864-frank-lampard’s-chelsea-fc/

52 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

I could be wrong, but I'll chip in.

I didn't think that it was an 'average', I thought that it was a cumulative loss over 3 years. i.e. you can lose no more than £13million (that might not be the right figure) over a three year period - so if you lose £30million in year 1, but make £15million profit year 2, and £4million profit year 3, you'll be fine as the three year loss stands at £11million. But, obviously, the three year period is rolling.

So, we've made a profit of (was it) £15million 2018/19 so there would be no point accounting for Frank in that year - better to account for the compo 2019/20 as it will accumulate better.

Given that the 3 year period is rolling, it makes more sense to do it that way to give us wriggle room (that we may need) in 2020/21 and 2021/22.

That may very well be complete nonsense. In which case, I apologise. But that is my limited knowledge and understanding of it.

Reckon that's pretty spot on tbf

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Gritty said:

Well it matters in 3 years time obviously. As the 4mn either will, or will not, be included in a previous year's calculation. 

Not guaranteed we get up before then

It would be accounted for against the length of his contract I would assume, I'm absolutely not certain though! One thing I am sure of, I doubt the July 1st things is at all important to the timing of a contract being signed.

32 minutes ago, Hanny said:

As for the FFP/July 1 questions. I would be a bit baffled as to why the need to not announce anything until July 1? I could very well be wrong per FFP rules, but any generic contract (in any professional pursuit), can be agreed upon/announced whenever...with the actual start date (or date of effect) set whenever they want. 

Basically, they could announce officially today what's going on, with July 1 being the start date, hence pushing finances out a year. In which case, makes no sense to 'hide' everything until July 1. Correct? Wrong? I don't know.

I think you've put forward the most valid argument for the July 1st FFP thing being nonsense.

Occam's razor says the most simple explanation is that they are still in the process of concluding the deal (or that Frank is trying to get a refund from B&Q on his patio set)

As time ticks away, even the purest of Lampard/Derby fans will start thinking that this it taking the Michael.

Any lines from Frank about caring about Derby and the fans are being completely blown out of the water with each passing day.

He should be knocking the door down at Chelsea and saying you either sign me up now or don't.

I'm growing angry towards Frank as days are ticking by.

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

As time ticks away, even the purest of Lampard/Derby fans will start thinking that this it taking the Michael.

Any lines from Frank about caring about Derby and the fans are being completely blown out of the water with each passing day.

He should be knocking the door down at Chelsea and saying you either sign me up now or don't.

Reluctantly, I'm beginning to agree with this sentiment.

It can't be about money (surely they're offering him at least the same as Derby did) so I'm wondering if the stumbling block now is either some sort of guarantee of tenure or the rest of his coaching staff going with him. 

Sad to say but I wish he'd just go now and allow Derby to move on. 

11 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It can't be about money (surely they're offering him at least the same as Derby did) so I'm wondering if the stumbling block now is either some sort of guarantee of tenure or the rest of his coaching staff going with him. 

Know how you both feel, but if the talks are happening today then it would be silly to expect anything to be announced/finalised before the end of the week.

Fully expect this to be over and done with by Sunday.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I tend to agree too. I don't buy into the 1st July FFP stuff as it could have been announced and stated he would take over from the 1st.

As far as i am aware the players report back Monday. If he does go unless there is a lot of work going on we don't know of then we start pre season without a manager which is not great.

Its nearly two weeks since sarri left, this should have been sorted long before now, one way or another.

Whatever else Lampard might be he's not stupid. He'll be thinking about the reality of the situation at Chelsea.  That reality isn't pretty for an experienced manager with a european pedigree let alone one who has spent a year in the second division.  The frequency of manager turnover, the players (who won't be in awe of him but instead be much more assertive in questioning his methods/style if it doesn't get results)  and  the impatience of fans and owner must all be making him question if it's a good time to leave.  

I personally think it's a suicidal move for his career if he goes now. It is true to say that you never know if it might come up again if he does badly here, but it's also true to say people generally get one shot at a club. Does he really want this to be his shot at his dream job? He's got 0 chance of winning any major trophies in the next 2-3 years  and he's stuck with what is a pretty average squad of players. He'll be facing calls to go if he isn't top 4 by christmas (i think that's v.unlikely) and they'll slowly ease him out the door in 2 years even if he does relatively well for a bigger name when they can splash the cash again. 

Balancing that alongside the fact it is his dream job and something he wants more than anything must be extremely difficult.  If he's pragmatic he'll wait it out here, get us up and achieve something before making that jump. Chelsea will come calling again if he does that and you'd hope someone who has achieved so much would have the confidence to back their ability.  My gut  tells me the pull will simply be too much and he'll be off though. 

The discussions with Frank are probably easier than the arranging the back room staff he wants to take if it’s actually 6-8 of them. There may be some back and forth between clubs agreeing compensation, or if true any loan arrangements 

hopefully hear something later tonight or tomorrow. Would be nice if it’s done before the weekend though.

Sith Happens
Just now, Abu Derby said:

Has anyone heard from the Scarlet Pimpernel at all?

Yeah got a dj job at butlins at Minehead so won't be on for a few days.

I noticed Harry came out this morning and slightly changed his stance again about FL and the Chelsea job. Sounded to me as though he still could be making his mind up over this one, and may have asked for time to think it over.

49 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Sky sports just announced franks waiting to see the russian sometime next week

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Come come now , surely lampard and Chelsea are the priority here ,this deal has to be right for him and them ,so what if it craps all over Derby

Archived