Derby County v Millwall

Mafiabob

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh here you are AGAIN. You never answered did you when I last challenged you about a comment you said I'd made?

Just truck off with your anti-Derby fan attitude. Yes I'm a Derby fan, probably longer than you've been alive.

Yes but a bloody negative one, who we are better without, I bet you sit there all game moaning, your the type of fan I hate to sit next to, a fan who has never played the game in there life. Now you do one Mr negative.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Papahet said:

Still struggling to see what Bryson brings to this team in 2019. Headless chicken along with most out there. 

Get rid rebuild from the bottom. 

I'm a massive fan of Bryson and I can't blame him for clearly playing to instructions..it certainly isn't the way that he played in Mac's and Clough's set ups.

But...on tonight's performance his legs were unable to keep up with his intentions....

Not saying it's all his fault though for the above reason.

Don't know if I'm more annoyed by the horrendous traffic and traffic management or the dismal performance.  Can't really find any redeeming feature or positive to hang on to.  I haven't had the nerve to read back through this thread or the dozens that seemed to have be spawned as a result of that result/performance and I don't intend to, as I imagine it will be the same as usual when we lose. Depressing stuff all round.

Was a particular shame as I have been advocating playing two up top for a while and it failed miserably.

Didn't listen to RD on way home (put the cricket on; much better).  I assume Frank was suitably pee'd off about the whole affair?

There was a moment to me that summed up the whole match, Tomori won the ball, played it into Bryson who played it safe back to Keogh. Tomori didn't look happy as Bryson easily could have turned and gone forward. Bryson was guilty of this all night. He made one run beyond the strikers.

Huddlestone was poor due to misplaced passes. Bryson was poor due to being very accurate but always backwards and sideways. Any chance of catching Millwall unsettled was constantly lost. It was painful.

Another big issue and this was evident against Ipswich, when we do go long, we know Waghorn and Marriott won't win it but never do we seem ready in place to win the second ball.

Tomori was the best player. Did his job and tried at times to get us forward quickly, didn't always work but he took risks. 

And I hate agreeing with those clowns on Sky but they were right, all our players first thought was backwards or sideways. Fair enough if winning easily or the first part of game but not the whole time. 

We have gone from new look Mac1 to the dying embers of Clement in a few months. The players and the manager need a spark, maybe Monday will be that.

@RoyMac5 to me you are strange poster. Tonight is a textbook example.  I replied to a post suggesting a few players should be dropped.

Roos was one suggested and who I suggested was not one who should be through merit . You jumped on me saying Carson isn’t fit. 

Didn’t know you were Carson’s personal trainer so I apologise for that.

however that wasn’t what I was saying, and you that so stop being a t@

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Let me stop you right there.....

Sorry mate I’d usually try and let this past but I can’t tonight, too many are giving him a free pass for poor performances. Sideways and backwards laboured passes, floaty wide balls that take three touches to get on the floor (and so the defence is now perfectly positioned), misplaces passes, barely a notable tackle over 90 minutes. Then fans seem to berate Bryson, and I’m not saying he played well, but he’s running for two men and he’s not got the engine to do that anymore. He’s overworking to compensate. 

57 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

I think it can be achieved with him in the team, our best week of the season had him in the middle for all 3 games. It doesn't need to be 100 miles per hour, just a decent tempo to it, not what we're currently watching.

Huddlestone controlled the game two weeks ago vs Hull, he set the tempo when we were in possession. He does need some help in there though. I can't think of anything positive Wilson or Bryson have added to the team going forward over the last week or two. I was convinced we weren't really missing Mount (as I thought he was pretty anonymous pre-injury) but something was ticking better in midfield with him in it. 

In reality (Sorry, Gary) it's probably not even worth worrying about anymore, he'll either leave the club in June or be given another year as a bit part player - he's not getting any younger/quicker/more mobile. 

Always makes me think back to when Thorne came onto the scene in that team and how good he was but the underlining factor for his success was how good the team were. You're only as good as the options around you. If you haven't got any then you'll struggle, no matter who we play in there. 

Huddlestone has controlled games where teams have given him the room to do what he does though. Hull is a prime example, although what is underrated in that game was Brysons work rate to help give him that time. The other issue is Huddlestone has played well in fits and starts this season, but that’s also the biggest problem with the current squad. Lots of little spells of good performances that have soon turned sour once the opposition have targeted them, only Keogh you can say has had a consistently good season.

Personally don’t see Bryson as an attacking player anymore, but to be honest aside a workhorse I don’t really know what he is anymore. Wilson has come to Derby and taken some plaudits and scored some fantastic goals, but I’m yet to be convinced he’s come here and improved as a footballer for Derby County, jury is out on Mount in that respect too (comparing to Tomori who is now growing as a player by the week in my eyes)

The last point is very true and we now need to find who in the squad can compliment one another to really push on next season.

Apologies if a lot of that is rambly, I’ve not been back home very long and absolutely shattered!

Never taking kids again...they are a curse! The original ram raid of a match.

Roos- 5 nothing to do..except save one shot which he didn't  

Keogh - 7 didn't put a foot wrong really  

Tomori - 7 defensively very sound. Brought ball out but with no conviction

Bogle - 6 defensively did nothing wrong but ponderous and negative in possession .

Cole 4 sorry if you really watched him, whilst he did nothing wrong he got the ball high up the pitch time and again and just laid it back safely, really didn't take on his man or cross it. Way too safe.

Holmes - 7 tried to beat his man at least.  Created only bright sparks 

Bryson - 6 worked hard, just not got the legs to get beyond the strikers

Wilson - 4 created nothing.  Didn't beat his man.  If he's not shooting and Mount isn't playing....he looks like this.

Huddlestone- 5 a big fan but his passing was realy off today. Needed injection of pace, intensity...which isnt his game.

Marriott  - 2 touch was awful, didn't look fit....he will be back, not picking on him...but he was terrible  ..really terrible.

Waghorn - 4 busier and more involved than Marriott..but touch and output  equally poor.

Lampard  - 4

Congrats on trying something new. But OMG...anyone saying have wingbacks and play 2 up front (wasn't against it myself tbf).. what a unholy carcrash that idea was.  Pass pass pass... launch it to Holmes.... cross it.. no one in the box. Millwall could have played all night and we wouldn't have scored. 

No movement off the ball ... no intensity  ..no craft... no drive... Mount and Lawrence have become world class over night. 

You could add to your list no leadership, no sense of responsibility.

Everyone in the team looks like they hope someone else will do something good.

A few moments of magic from Wilson, Lawrence and Marriott have disguised our lack of cohesion.

The most worrying aspect of our current form is the inability to pass or trap a ball.

Where has that gone? 

The team just doesn't look like they are loving their football. 

9 hours ago, SillyBilly said:

Same old same old, I live outside of Derby, astonishing how far our reputation goes so far as being the league's most consistent bottlers. The commentators laud the attacking prowess of "Frank Lampard's Derby County" but apart from 3-4 games in the real world we're actually pining for the attacking genious of Rowett ball given the figures that actually matter...goals scored. Dire stuff.

One thing I am definitely not doing is pining for that see you next Tuesday and his poo football. Lampard may be struggling with this lot at the moment but at least his footballing philosophy is positive.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Bryson hasn’t turned since 2015, only ever plays the way he’s facing. Got a worse turning circle than big tom

Quite a bit of Bryson bashing going on at the moment which makes a change from The stick Keogh makes.

Its not just him who just cant seem to put a performance in there is no one stepping up to the plate at the moment and its a concern

Although i do find it odd that we bring King in and he cant get picked in front of Bryson whos best as clearly come and gone.

As a team in terms of performances we are in free fall,injuries have not helped obviously but other teams seem to overcome that 

48 minutes ago, Jayram said:

One thing I am definitely not doing is pining for that see you next Tuesday and his poo football. Lampard may be struggling with this lot at the moment but at least his footballing philosophy is positive.

Whether it's being coached into them, or they are lacking confidence and doing it of their own accord, I wouldn't say that everyone's (with the exception of Holmes) touch being 5 yards back towards their own goal is a sign of positivity.

I had the pleasure of a new face standing a couple of rows back last night. A young woman with piercings all over the place, a west mids accent and blonde hair. The nonsense she was spouting was the equivalent of the performances on the pitch.

I think she genuinely believed Keogh was the anti Christ the amount of abuse she was giving him, even when he wasn't part of the play. Hope she never comes again.

Anyway, Lampard was at fault last night tactically and in his formation, although the selection i was mostly on board last night.

What's frustrating is that he talked about knowing what to expect from Millwall, so why did the players look like they had no clue what to do? 

Millwall are compact and big at the back, direct and big up front, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out long balls up to our striker won't work. Yet all we saw were long inaccurate diagonals or high balls into Marriott, it was dreadful.

ITS felt since October that we're on the verge of clicking into a good, fast, exciting team but its just drifted away, partly due to injuries, but there is more going on there that needs sorting out.

Monday is a terrible time for THAT game, so ghere neess to be a bare minimum now of attitude, aggression, focus and desire, to fight for every ball and to not give the Red Dogs anything. If we lose it needs to be because Forest earned it, not because we rolled over and gave it to them or didn't try hard enough.

Slept on it thoughts...

That was one of the most lifeless, gutless, tame and downright boring performances I can remember since Nigel Pearson was here. Neutrals on Sky Sports probably called to cancel their subscriptions in protest. Passes were hit without purpose, often backwards or way wide of their target, with enough telegraphing to ensure the recipient was fully marked by the time the pass eventually reached the same postcode. Shots were nonexistent, expansive play was a pipe dream and barely a sprint made all night.

Lampard needs a long hard think. By no means am I calling for his head, but his last three games have been serious head-scratchers. Firstly, there was Ipswich, whereby he brought in Johnson from nowhere to reduce our ability to retain any possession or control the game. Then came Brighton, where having already knowingly weakened the team the match prior, he plays Nugent - who's done at this level, and has missed 4 sitters costing us games already this season. On to Millwall, where the formation changed to something we have never played before, to sit and watch that garbage for 70 minutes before even attempting a change.

Huddlestone was dreadful. His pass completion percentage in the first half resembled that of a goalkeeper who does nothing but punt it up field. There was a ridiculous amount of over and underhit passes. Bryson, again, did his virtual player impression, where somehow he plays a whole 90 minutes without affecting anything to do with the game - he runs, and runs, and runs, yet can't make a tackle, turns slower than milk and is unable to move the ball forward. Even little Duane Holmes has lost the fervor he had just a month ago. Marriott is devoid of any confidence whatsoever. Bogle had a semi-competent game, maybe Tomori too, but I'm clutching at straws at this point.

Truly, truly horrendous. Having missed the Hull game, I'm struggling to recall a performance at this stage, other than small periods in games - and that's a worry. Even if we play 5x better than we did last night, Forest and Villa will turn us over and the season will be done.

Archived