Derby County v Millwall

Mafiabob

8 minutes ago, Waffle said:

Can we all just appreciate what a strong Centre back pairing looks like. I think we were linked to Cooper at the start of the season, what a beast he is.

Yes, there was one at the other end too, 2 of our best players again last night as they have been for most of the last 3 months.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhats the first time I’ve left a game early this season cos we were never a threat. I went on 84 minutes - I’d usually be embarrassed but fk that - we were awful. 

For me, Bryson took a lot of momentum out of the game with Hudds (I’m a fan) having an off night. 

This one is on the manager (again, I’m a fan). Didn’t change anything despite it clearly not working and the tactics of retain, retain, retain were just wrong.  I expected changes in formation or personnel and half time and nothing... don’t get it. 

Our boys need to get their game together for Monday...

10 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

I actually think that we were robbed. Referee ruined it, we had a couple of shots that were going in until the ball deflected off our player. Also had two good penalty shouts. 

They were terrible and scored from their only attempt. 

I’m confident that we’ll batter Forest on Monday. 

I gave you a cheers because that post deserves it and I admire the positive outlook. It’s being a fan and a supporter

having slept on it I am clinging to the hope that it was just that sort of game against that sort of team. We were bullied and didn’t have an answer this time. 

Come on lads (the team I mean ) pick yourselves up, grit your teeth. Go again. 

Midfield need to look hard. So many times in the central area between the 18 yard box and the centre circle there wasn’t a single Derby player but always 2 Milwall players. We surrendered the the centre of the advanced midfield which meant Keogh and Tomori only had the flanks to play with and didn’t do it quick enough

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes, there was one at the other end too, 2 of our best players again last night as they have been for most of the last 3 months.

No, I agree with you, it wasn’t a slight at Keogh and Tomori. I just think Cooper would be a good replacement to Keogh as he won’t last forever. 

I'm not one for knee jerk reactions and usually give it a bit of time before I post after a game to let the emotions calm down, win or lose.

But last night was very poor and I'd seriously be thinking about sticking some of those players into the weekends under 23's game whilst getting some of the youngsters into the team for Monday.

Only 3 players from last night would be pinned up on the board for a starting place on Monday, Cole, Keogh and Tomori.

I feel for Marriott and Waghorn because the service was non existant and the back up when they finally got the ball just wasn't there.

No imagination, no flair and very little signs of the fight or bottle needed to take us into the play offs this season.

I just hope that Frank remains and can sort a squad of his own when the clearout is complete at the end of the season.

Shocking. 

We just look devoid of creating anything whatsoever. 

I just kept looking at the clock, keeping a mental note '25 minutes and we've finally had a shot', 'half time still no shot on target' etc 

Formation was shocking and anyone suggesting 352 might hopefully now stop a bit. 

Need to go for 433. Need to get as close to that team during the good run of performances earlier on in the season. My team for Monday night... 

Roos

Bogle Keogh Tomori Cole

Huddlestone

King Holmes

Wilson Marriott Waghorn 

Really didn’t enjoy last night. I came away thinking it was like going back to clement ball.

sad to say but Huddz and Bryson in the same team just slow everything down. They just allow the opposition to get back into formation before they do anything with the ball. So frustrating.

do these professionals not realise that you aren’t going to break teams like that down by slowing play down to a crawl? There was actually loads of space behind them in the first half but. Body made that forward pass.

it was a shambles from start to finish and quicker passers of the ball are required of this team wants to get anywhere.

I haven’t bothered to read any posts from the Millwall game - we were crap and uninspiring- Millwall - not very good either and the game should have been the 0-0 it deserved 

Roos - should have stopped the one shot 

bogle - sadly another goal from a basic mistake 

keogh - decent

tomori - decent

cole - professional 

huddlestone - I can’t blame him but we are so slow to do anything when he is in the team

bryson - actually very good defensively but nothing going forward 

wilson - not involved unless it was a set piece

holmes - negative first half and eventually attacked in the second half

waghorn - tried against the big ch but had no chance

marriott - never involved 

apart from maybe Lawrence and Bennett that was about the best team we could have put out and we were dire - just like at Ipswich and Brighton 

1 minute ago, Sparkle said:

I haven’t bothered to read any posts from the Millwall game - we were crap and uninspiring- Millwall - not very good either and the game should have been the 0-0 it deserved 

Roos - should have stopped the one shot 

bogle - sadly another goal from a basic mistake 

keogh - decent

tomori - decent

cole - professional 

huddlestone - I can’t blame him but we are so slow to do anything when he is in the team

bryson - actually very good defensively but nothing going forward 

wilson - not involved unless it was a set piece

holmes - negative first half and eventually attacked in the second half

waghorn - tried against the big ch but had no chance

marriott - never involved 

apart from maybe Lawrence and Bennett that was about the best team we could have put out and we were dire - just like at Ipswich and Brighton 

In that case I ain’t gonna read your post ??

14 hours ago, rynny said:

Bryson's night was summed up by the South Stand shouting for him to turn, only for him to lay a simple pass off to Keogh. 

He kept showing for the ball, then when he got it he’d fail to turn out and just pass it back to where it came from or at best, go square a few yards. Other than that and closing people down/fouling them, he offered absolutely nothing. He wasn’t alone, but he’s having a terrible season and I’m staggered he’s picked week in week out. 

15 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I really like the sentiment and really want to get behind what you are saying but I don't really see what we are creating.

There's no consistency in playing style, formation or personnel.

I think it's been a little disjointed at times and a little inconsistent - But overall there is an ethos at play here - Lampard wants to play possession based football, be expressive going fowards, play out from the back and try to move the ball quickly - He's also made it clear he sees football as a squad game so obviously sees having 22/23 good players rather than a first 11 which is another 'style' if you like - But something like that can take more time to build

Have we done that in every game? No - Not through lack of trying but just cos we're not the finished article yet

Generally I think you either assess a squad and say "they are best suited to play like this..." (see Mick McCarthy at Ipswich) or you say "this is the way I want us to play and now I need to find/train the players to do so" which is what Lampard seems to be doing

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

He kept showing for the ball, then when he got it he’d fail to turn out and just pass it back to where it came from or at best, go square a few yards. Other than that and closing people down/fouling them, he offered absolutely nothing. He wasn’t alone, but he’s having a terrible season and I’m staggered he’s picked week in week out. 

I know Bryson has his fans but last night was cowardly on the ball. He was just passing the buck. As an experienced player and one who professes to love the club that is unacceptable. Even if he was following instructions, you can see it isn't working, change it yourself and deal with the consequences after.

I can't believe he hasn't been subbed off in matches recently. I could have done his job last night, run around a lot, receive the ball under no pressure and pass it backwards. Is it any wonder our best spell came when he wasn't in the team. 

Bryson at his best was about getting ahead of the ball, making those forward runs, using his energy in a positive manner. If that is gone, he offers very little if anything in a possession based team.

1 hour ago, BondJovi said:

I know Bryson has his fans but last night was cowardly on the ball. He was just passing the buck. As an experienced player and one who professes to love the club that is unacceptable. Even if he was following instructions, you can see it isn't working, change it yourself and deal with the consequences after.

I can't believe he hasn't been subbed off in matches recently. I could have done his job last night, run around a lot, receive the ball under no pressure and pass it backwards. Is it any wonder our best spell came when he wasn't in the team. 

Bryson at his best was about getting ahead of the ball, making those forward runs, using his energy in a positive manner. If that is gone, he offers very little if anything in a possession based team.

The fact he was picked was upsetting but to play the whole game was criminal. At 1-0 down he took Wilson off with 15 mins to go ( from memory). He wasn’t having a good game but he’s our top goal threat. If we had a 20 yard free kick in the last few mins who would you want to take it? 

27 minutes ago, Doodle said:

The fact he was picked was upsetting but to play the whole game was criminal. At 1-0 down he took Wilson off with 15 mins to go ( from memory). He wasn’t having a good game but he’s our top goal threat. If we had a 20 yard free kick in the last few mins who would you want to take it? 

Based on his 2 previous kicks last night no Wilson.

In my opinion you don't leave a player on the pitch just in case you get a free kick within 30 yards of goal, of he's not performing in other areas. 

Bryson was poor last night but thought he actually got in more dangerous positions than Wilson of a couple of occasions. 

I think Wilson is getting targetted in games and he's producing very little, he's very weak in possession.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

In my opinion you don't leave a player on the pitch just in case you get a free kick within 30 yards of goal, of he's not performing in other areas. 

Bryson was poor last night but thought he actually got in more dangerous positions than Wilson of a couple of occasions. 

I think Wilson is getting targetted in games and he's producing very little, he's very weak in possession.

There's no doubt that Wilsons' strength is his long-range shooting and in deadball situations but last night even those were off. When playing in midfield his movement is decent, passing accuracy average but at times his control is poor. Unless these parts of his game show a dramatic improvement I don't see him challenging for a place in the Liverpool side or even on their bench any time soon (other than possible Carabao Cup appearances).

It wouldn't surprise me if he's either sent out on loan again next season or even sold.

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

This may sound stupid, but take away his wonderful left foot ball striking, and there's not much else to his game.

He's nowhere near the standard needed to break through at his parent club, and would be gobbled up by canny Premier League defenders who'd keep him on his right peg.

Probably best for Klopp to leave him here next season, see if he can develop a more rounded game at a lower level.

Last night was probably the first time I’ve regretted spending £50 on train tickets and about 5 hours of time each way to watch us play. Even in dire matches last season there was usually a bit of a spark somewhere that made me think perhaps we had a few good players - but last night it completely escaped me and I was just downright bored.

Still, I expect I’ll book my place behind the settee for Monday night!

37 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There is no point in getting in a more dangerous area if when you receive the ball, you turn around and pass it into a less dangerous area. There is every point in leaving your top goal scorer  on the pitch who even if he’s not looked likely to score for 75 mins, is a far better  prospect than leaving someone on who’s not looked likely to score for 2 Years. Bryson is finished at this level, I know it, the vast majority of fans know it, deep down I suspect you know it. But he was great in 2014, blah blah blah. Some fans are more concerned with nostalgia than fact

Archived