Derby vs Reading Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

I thought Reading were trying to do the right things today, they just kept making silly mistakes. Reminds me of the last time we beat them at home; they played some nice stuff but they were always going to struggle with Paul McShane bringing it out from the back. 

I reckon they’ll be alright this season and could be one to watch next year.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Needed some of those performance enhancing drugs your boyhood hero took ?

You used to make some good posts, now your just a poo Bris Vegas ?

How many 4 hour games willl Nadal play in a fortnight in a major tennis tournament.? And what about the cyclists...? 

2 games of football in a week is nothing at all...you know this is all they do for a living, they haven’t got full time jobs down the pit you know. 

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

How many 4 hour games willl Nadal play in a fortnight in a major tennis tournament.? And what about the cyclists...? 

2 games of football in a week is nothing at all...you know this is all they do for a living, they haven’t got full time jobs down the pit you know. 

What a stupid arguement.

As others said, am amazing blitzkrieg start. So many early chances where we weren't clinical, the best falling to Holmes for his second but instead of shooting he tried to play in an overlapping Waghorn, but massively overhit the pass. 

Harry Wilson showed the value of shooting, his goal taking a massive deflection. We really needed it at the time. Reading always tried to play out from the back and struggled to overcome our press, but we were exhausted by the break. 

I expected changes early second half to give us the legs, especially Evans in midfield to give us more control, but Frank had other ideas. Despite having hardly any possession, we were the more dangerous on the occasions we could get the ball. 

Reading's goal? Words fail me. We have a freekick 5-10 yards inside Reading's half. Waghorn goes wide right, Holmes wide left, both in acres of space. Tom Huddlestone, instead of passing to one or other turns round and clearly has decided nothing else will do except a crazy pass backwards. 

The Reading players see this and line up ready to charge. Tom is still determined to take the freekick back into our half whatever the cost. He plays a poor ball to Keogh and Reading charge. Keogh has to play it to Tomori as Reading continue to charge. Tomori tries to thread it through to Malone but can't and it's a simple, totally unnecessary goal. Crass stupidity, especially from Tom. Sometimes I don't get what goes through the mind of experienced footballers. 

But a great win despite being out on our feet for the last hour. And after Wednesday, really that was all that mattered. MotM Duane Holmes. 

Don’t think any game can sum up our season of this team more than that.

Like to start by saying (I was right?) that that starting 11 looked our best. At the times when we were playing well, we really did play well. Looked to have balance between players who can win the ball, win headers and carry it in transition. Played out from the back better and looked to have much better creativity and movement, much less of the hoofing and non existent midfield than we’ve had recently. We should take like team as our base and look to improve on it (defensively and more options in certain positions particulary).

In terms of the game overall, we were brilliant for the first 15 minutes, pressing was fantastic and organised and we really should have been further up. And that brings me to my first point, we simply aren’t clinical enough. It’s been a problem all season, to be a good team you’ve got to be scoring goals when you’re on top otherwise teams will eventually get a chance to get back into it (which they did). Got to be scoring more goals and hammering teams, because reading really were poo, would have made it a much more easy game had we managed to finish opponents off, as has been the case many times this season.

Made reading look far too good second half as well. Can excuse it for tiredness this time, but we’ve really gotta get this sudden switching to lobbing it as the game wears on and trying to force the issue, rather than being patient like we were earlier in the game. Awful goal to give away, it happens but you do have to be concerned how few games we’ve actually won comfortably. Gotta stop making things so hard for ourselves. Must focus more on our defensive positioning, particulary malone. I mean I love the bloke going forward, and he had a great game in that respect today on the ball, but ffs man you’re a left back stop drifting inside all the time!

Was basically the performance of a side trying to do the right things, but without the 90 mins performance, clinical finishing and defensive ability to go up. Obviously the first can be excused today due to tiredness but its been apparent in other games and we really do have to sort it out. Think some additions in this window and the summer will help, particulary with some more players stronger in the ball and the tackle. But teams like reading today were there for the taking, they were proper poo and we should be far more comfortable.

But like I say, to get the result after 120 mins on Wednesday is excellent, and we can excuse certain tired spells given we saw more football than we have done recently. Build on that team and we’ll be working towards improving what I’ve mentioned above, and will hopefully progress. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the rest of this window, what with so many frozen out as well

Well done to anyone who’s actually read the length of this, apologies but just thought this game was a good showing of both the good things and not so good things in our team. Last word for indivuals, Wilson was excellent today, as were Waghorn and Holmes. Marriott looked injured (?) didn’t look fit enough to play for me, dispaointed with Mount and Keogh who kept gifting possesion away second half but maybe that was just tiredness.

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

"On the other end of the spectrum, top-ranked Novak Djokovic had covered less than half that distance, somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 meters or about 2.5 to 3.1 miles through three rounds of play."

Bryson Covered 16km just under 10 mile!!! in one game! the whole team 142km. Tennis players also don't have to deal with tackling, jumping hard for headers etc. football is a contact sport and that also takes it toll, anyone who's ever played will tell you that. To compare them is ridiculous. You don't see footballers going for a 2 min sit down every 5 min of play either to eat a duckin nana and take energy supplements do you.

Get a tennis player to play for a constant 45 min and see if they complain about fatigue. And I can guarantee you a cyclist that cycles for 25 miles cannot run the same distance ( I know a very good cyclist too and he admits he can't run anywhere near how far he can cycle).

carry it in transition.

Transition was supposed to mean what happens when you win the ball back and you switch from defence to attack.

now the phrase seems to be increasingly meaningless.

3 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I know a very good cyclist too and he admits he can't run anywhere near how far he can cycle

....not carrying the bike anyway.

31 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I thought Reading were trying to do the right things today, they just kept making silly mistakes. Reminds me of the last time we beat them at home; they played some nice stuff but they were always going to struggle with Paul McShane bringing it out from the back. 

Who gave you permission to go to a game?

And what’s happened to your drunken match reports?

I’m not sure I like this trying to be sensible and mature version of your former self we’ve got now.

11 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Nadal won’t play many if any four hour games. Most tournament matches are best of three sets. Early rounds can be over in an hour or so, including sit downs and waiting between points etc. Might do about 4 matches in a week unless you get to the final every time you enter a tournament. Early points and games are over before Nadal has even brown a sweat.

Cycling is a totally different sport again. If you’ve ever sat in a peloton (I have raced at a reasonable local level) then you get carried along more than you think. Obviously there is still effort to put in but the pros do hours of training everyday and their bodies are trained to take days of punishment in the saddle. Sprinters put in their main effort for the last 1km of a 200km race, relying on team mates to sacrifice themselves over the duration of the race.

Football is an impact sport. Players sprint a lot and put in a lot of anaerobic efforts over the match. It takes its toll. The body takes longer to recover from that.

All sports are brutal and take their toll, but you can’t compare apples with oranges and call the odd bananas for being tired for playing over 3 hours of football in less than 72 hours.

I think if anyone has any gripes about today's game they're being exceptionally harsh. 

We flew out the blocks, secured the game then kept them at arms length except for one moment of stupidity, which is a decent performance in the circumstances.

A win, any win, would do today, and that's what we got.

Onwards with @RadioactiveWaste!

16 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Who gave you permission to go to a game?

And what’s happened to your drunken match reports?

I’m not sure I like this trying to be sensible and mature version of your former self we’ve got now.

I don’t do them for home games as I’m usually fairly sober, unless I’m chundering outside the Volkswagen dealership. I don’t do them for every away game so that the ones I do have maximum impact.

Just wait for when we finally get promoted.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I think if anyone has any gripes about today's game they're being exceptionally harsh. 

We flew out the blocks, secured the game then kept them at arms length except for one moment of stupidity, which is a decent performance in the circumstances.

I was thinking, if it's acceptable to the forum, why don't we make the thread started by the Accrington SLO the official matchday thread for next week, it's already got some useful contributions and would save having two threads. If we win I'll take up the next one, if we lose, a new thread starter must be found.

If the superstitious amongst us insist, I shall do the deed.

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I was thinking, if it's acceptable to the forum, why don't we make the thread started by the Accrington SLO the official matchday thread for next week, it's already got some useful contributions and would save having two threads. If we win I'll take up the next one, if we lose, a new thread starter must be found.

If the superstitious amongst us insist, I shall do the deed.

Nah, start your own. 

That thread is a great credit to the Accrington SLO, full of useful info, but it's not a matchday thread.

Maybe @David could pin that one until the day, as it's so useful.

14 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Great post, totally agree with your post, thought some of our football at times was excellent, should  had got some more goals, thought Mount had another good game, a good finish from Holmes for his first DCFC goal, thought Huddlestone was good first half but then tired second half, and Waghorn never stopped working, think he could be a very important  player for us in the remaining games this season, and also thought it was a positive atmosphere for most of the match, loving this Derby team at the moment, gives youth a chance and we try and play football the right way, and this is all down to Frank and his coaching team, long may this continue.

1 hour ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I thought the same. Not many opposition teams will come to pride park this season and have 65% possession. I watched them play against Man Utd too (who were rejuvenated at the time under solskjaer) in the FA cup and they did quite well, having 60% possession at old Trafford. They have some tidy players and have a good style but at times they should mix it up, it became a bit predictable at times for us as their keeper only ever passed to his centre backs.

Archived