Derby vs Reading Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I did wonder if it was something like that. There was a couple of occasions in the first half when he was obstructed/held back off the ball but nothing was done.

Thought he had a great first half.

Makes me wonder how he ended up at Scunthorpe. Maybe a late bloomer.

It's his bread & butter 

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Sorry if posted but what did Holmes get booked for?

He intentionally tripped their player off the ball, so warranted a yellow, but the referee missed him being pulled back and then receiving a flailing arm to the face in the same move to provoke his reaction.

18 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Did I hear correctly? Near the end of the match the guy on the tannoy said Waghorn was MOTM but you can carry on voting. Eh? What would be the point (other than maybe another money earner)?

Holmes looks a great buy - his run for the goal was just like one of Brysons' 

Waghorn was the sponsors MOM but apparently now there is a fan one as well. It didn’t sound right but then nothing the guy on the tannoy sounds right. 

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Spreads himself about well and can toast himself today. 

He's one of those marmite players.

best thing since sliced bread i reckon.

44 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Very nice player. There’s something about Hudds though; he looks like he’s playing in slow motion, never needing to go any faster.

You sure that wasnt too much Dark Fruits? I find everything looks like that after a few too many beers.

15 hours ago, cannable said:

Don’t normally like to single players out, usually think it’s unfair and their are extenuating curciumstances, but Huddlestone was poo  

What game were you watching?

Huddlestone is by far the most gifted player we've had in years, his biggest problem is we haven't always had the players around him to one give him space to play and two be on the same wave length. 

2 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

What game were you watching?

Huddlestone is by far the most gifted player we've had in years, his biggest problem is we haven't always had the players around him to one give him space to play and two be on the same wave length. 

I'm a fan of Huddlestone but 2nd half yesterday just wasn't 'him' 

Roos - did ok, not a lot of shot stopping but caught well and distribution was decent - one crazy moment

bogle - better

keogh - ok 

tomori - better suited against teams who play football but still had a Keogh moment 

malone - decent going forward and ok at the back but got easily beat twice

huddlestone - decent 1st half passenger 2nd half sadly

mount - energetic but couldn’t stem the tide 2nd half

wilson - always decent going forward but we can’t expect the defensive side to be great 

holmes - nice to see the little guy get a goal worked hard

waghorn - did ok never looked like scoring and lacks pace which is a shame

marriott - he looks injured or tired to me?

subs - Bennett - good to have power and pace on the bench as he gives opponents a big problem late on 

other subs irrelevant 

this was a very important win in our season I believe as anything else would have had a bad knock on effect

i think we definitely need another proper centre forward but I don’t think we can afford one this season then again the same goes for another good mobile central midfielder and a centre half who can do the championship 

16 hours ago, Norman said:

And then they get on them fancy buses, inject themselves, have a bath, cool downs, look at data, have an expensive nutrionist feed them the correct break down of food their body needs etc etc.

You know why, because professional sport is all about fine margins.

We have done really well today.

If we compare to cycling, Froome has just won a stage on his own, a day after doing 129 miles while the rest of the tour had a rest day. 

It's not about them being tired. It's about Reading having tiny margins in explosiveness and stamina that can change the result of a professional game.

Really simple point I heard made by Jimmy Bullard when he was asked would he have been able to play 2 games in 3 days.

Yes. Of course I could....

....but that's not the issue, I also wouldnt play as well in the second game if I hadn't.  

6 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I did wonder if it was something like that. There was a couple of occasions in the first half when he was obstructed/held back off the ball but nothing was done.

But, but, but... the referee was a homer!!

I’m a bit behind the curve because grandma had to go to hospital and the most frustrating thing for her was that meant no Craig Rammage ?

anyway ...3 points, and Leeds lost which means we close the gap on the leaders AND it’s January .. when did that ever happen in the last 4 years ?

Lightning start, should have been 3 up after 30 mins but lacking clinical finishing. I was purring and looking forward to actually scoring serious points in Mozzas league. Not to be. In the end a good result though.

observations 

1) allowed them to stretch us in the second half. Countless times they had a free man on the flanks. Waghorn could see it and kept looking over his shoulder praying someone wouldn’t make him run even more to cover gaps. 

2) Holmes confirms he is a player and a first choice pick. Adaptable, quick, skilled, full of dogged determination and a good engine. One slack pass away from giving Waghorn a goal on a plate, but scored his own with polish and deftness.

3) Batteries ran out at 65 minutes, understandably so. I’d have put the subs on 10 mins earlier but what do I know. 

4) team looked better balanced 

5) Roos nearly gave me heart failure when he ran out and tackled. Thankfully I survived and he looks a good keeper. Distribution quicker and more accurate than scotty and seemed to be in command in his area, but Carson is like your best mate. You can trust him when the liquid his the fan. Hope Kelle can build on this and become a natural swap when earned or needed.

6) Waghorn gives us something different. Presence up front and a lot of hard work. I really wouldn’t want to play against him

7) Jack didn’t get a lot to play with and I think he is carrying a niggle as he doesn’t seem quite as rapier like as a month ago ?

Well played lads .. sound 3 points after the midweek marathon.

Archived