Derby vs Reading Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

Absolutely love a Saturday 3pm kick off, in the best city in the world, too much to drink and a Rams win?.

Should of killed them off 1st 15 mins, they were the worst defensive side I’ve seen this season. Wish Marriott had bagged. In the end 3 points and good results all round.

Also the 2nd coming went t!ts up which was a bonus.

See you at Accrington ?? COYR 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Transition was supposed to mean what happens when you win the ball back and you switch from defence to attack.

now the phrase seems to be increasingly meaningless.

Only 'passage of play' can rival it for sayings that have no place in football and are said by people trying to sound intelligent.

2 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

How was it a poor crowd? It is January, a bad time for attendances and you have got to consider if the away end brought more it would have been above 27000 which is far from bad at this level. we are hardly going to sell out against Reading, unless the tickets were very cheap there is no way we could expect around the 30k mark.

Not attendance... noise

Well that was satisfying in an unsatisfying kind of way. We started very brightly and a superb, multiplayer move at high speed cut Reading wide open with Holmes applying the finishing touch. IT was a superbly worked goal. The approach play was possibly even better than the Mac 1 era!

We pressed for a while after the goal, especially closing Reading down to stop them playing out from the back, and they looked easily the worst team I have seen at Pride Park all season. We had a number of opportunities, with Marriott getting a couple of chances which he missed, both times Waghorn was in a fantastic position for the lay-off, but Marriott went for the blast. Poor decision making, but he hasn't scored loads of goals through laying the ball off in front of goal, Besides, his team play and build up work is excellent, so no worries, carry on Jack! We gradually moved towards playing a long ball game, with maybe 4 or 5 situations were the through pass was millimeters away from splitting the defence and putting one of our players through. So close, so close!

Unfortunatelywe seemed to rely too much on the cutting long ball, but suddenly we got the ball down and started to play again, and we ended up with another super goal - not quite as sublime qas the first, but still a joy to the eye!

The second half carried on with a preference for playing long defence-splitters, and we seemed content to simply contain Reading, draw them into our half and then hit them on the counter attack. Pretty effective, if only we were more clinical in front of goal.

However, at half-time I was getting all excited that we were going to get two good refs in a row, because Andy Taylor on Wednesday night was really good, apart from his wrong use of VAR, and missing the foul on Harry Wilson in the lead up to the second goal. But a great ref none the loss. I still had my doubts, and mentioned the possibility of today's official getting his half-time EFL bollocking for being too impartial. And bollocking he got, because a few minutes into the second half he started, giving free-kicks against Mason Mount who got the ball on all three occasions, with the ref booking him for the third. Baffling. Mount, who has come back to life in the last two matches, then seemed to fade a bit, and I noticed that although he was challenging for the ball, he was no longer putting tackles in. There were numerous weird decisions, including booking Holmes, with no-one having a clue what for. Holmes had just beaten two men and laid the ball off to Wilson, I think, with the ref calling the play back. People around me could only guess that Holmes had blocked a player off. But then Waghorn had been blocked off on the half-way line to prevent him getting clear onto a through ball, but not even a free-kick. Consistency? Where?

Unfortunately a bit of sloppy play let Reading in to pull a goal back, and suddenly the game changed. The goal put a spring into Reading's step, and they were buzzing all over the pitch, still not very good, but giving us a game. How often when a team takes their foot off the gas it is almost impossible to increase the tempo again.

No individual player is to blame, because as with Wednesday against Southampton the whole team played well. It was a matter of tactics. Sitting back, containing Reading and hitting them on the break is what made the match difficult for the last portion. In some ways I can understand us not going hell for leather because of the draining match on Wednesday, but at 2 - 0 there is always a risk of the opposition getting back into the game, as Reading did today. It seems we rarely put teams to the sword, but surely pressing for a third, or maybe a fourth would have prevented all the worries and concerns for the last part of the match. In reality we should have had 4 or 5 today, and without too much more effort. In fact a caller on Radio Derby said you waste more energy chasing the opposition than you do chasing the next goal.

Tomori was a giant once again, with hardly anything getting past him, although I think he was involved in the play which allowed the reading goal. As I have mentioned, Mount has come back to life, with some great inter-passing in midfield, and challenging and winning balls in midfield, something which we have not seen enough of in recent weeks. Welcome back, Mason! Kelle Roos did his first team prospects no harm with today's performance, although his dash to the touch line was a bit hairy! Perhaps he shouldn't have done that, but he had to decide to act in a split second. And the speed with which he ran out to make the challenge was phenomenal! He perhaps felt that the ball was on the wrong side of Bogle for him to put in a tackle, and there was a real danger of the winger getting straight on on goal. Personally, I had no doubts that Roos would get the ball - during warm ups he has virtually done no goalkeeper work, but worked on ball control and passing with the other outfield players. And he looks a pretty good footballer. This is why his distribution is so much better than Carson's.

In the end we saw the game out and got the points, which is all that matters. In the past we would have been leggy right from the start because of the midweek exertions, and we were also likely to lose against a team like Reading, and we saw the benefit of absolutely racing out of the traps and playing with a high Tempo from the start, so its all good.

Come On You Rams!

57 minutes ago, cannable said:

Don’t normally like to single players out, usually think it’s unfair and their are extenuating curciumstances, but Huddlestone was poo  

Time for him to retire. he has been a wonderful footballer but his legs have gone.

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

"On the other end of the spectrum, top-ranked Novak Djokovic had covered less than half that distance, somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 meters or about 2.5 to 3.1 miles through three rounds of play."

Bryson Covered 16km just under 10 mile!!! in one game! the whole team 142km. Tennis players also don't have to deal with tackling, jumping hard for headers etc. football is a contact sport and that also takes it toll, anyone who's ever played will tell you that. To compare them is ridiculous. You don't see footballers going for a 2 min sit down every 5 min of play either to eat a duckin nana and take energy supplements do you.

Get a tennis player to play for a constant 45 min and see if they complain about fatigue. And I can guarantee you a cyclist that cycles for 25 miles cannot run the same distance ( I know a very good cyclist too and he admits he can't run anywhere near how far he can cycle).

25 mile on a bike is like a 400m jog by the way. 100 mile plus (4.5hrs) is the industry standard for a Tour stage.

My mate was a pro footballer me an enthusiastic endurance athlete. He’d batter me at interval sprints type stuff. Explosive power was incredible. 

He’d be crying for his mum after 7.5 miles of steady pace jogging. So horses for courses! 

Bryson is a very very impressive athlete. 

16 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

25 mile on a bike is like a 400m jog by the way. 100 mile plus (4.5hrs) is the industry standard for a Tour stage.

My mate was a pro footballer me an enthusiastic endurance athlete. He’d batter me at interval sprints type stuff. Explosive power was incredible. 

He’d be crying for his mum after 7.5 miles of steady pace jogging. So horses for courses! 

Where on earth did you get that from? 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Don’t normally like to single players out, usually think it’s unfair and their are extenuating curciumstances, but Huddlestone was poo  

Liam Rosenior has just singled him out as the player who makes us tick? Watch both goals from today, he starts it all off. 

2 hours ago, mwram1973 said:

"On the other end of the spectrum, top-ranked Novak Djokovic had covered less than half that distance, somewhere between 4,000 and 5,000 meters or about 2.5 to 3.1 miles through three rounds of play."

Bryson Covered 16km just under 10 mile!!! in one game! the whole team 142km. Tennis players also don't have to deal with tackling, jumping hard for headers etc. football is a contact sport and that also takes it toll, anyone who's ever played will tell you that. To compare them is ridiculous. You don't see footballers going for a 2 min sit down every 5 min of play either to eat a duckin nana and take energy supplements do you.

Get a tennis player to play for a constant 45 min and see if they complain about fatigue. And I can guarantee you a cyclist that cycles for 25 miles cannot run the same distance ( I know a very good cyclist too and he admits he can't run anywhere near how far he can cycle).

Cyclists are the ultimate athletes. No football player couple ever even do one stage of any of the major tours, never mind 21 back to back. 

3 hours ago, 86 points said:

Nice to see you understand mate. Sure the lads will greatly appreciate your typically steadfast support.  ?

My friend works 4 x 12 hour shifts on a children's ward, she's knackered by end of the day with veins in her legs that need surgery . And all for £26k a year. Perhaps £26k a week would make the pain far more worthwhile and enable her get treatment that she cannot get on NHS.  Stop feeling sorry for young men on salaries that are to be fair outrageous because they are "tired". 

32 minutes ago, IronRam 70.3 said:

Anyone could run 400m...and not everyone could bike 25 miles. 

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

How many 4 hour games willl Nadal play in a fortnight in a major tennis tournament.? And what about the cyclists...? 

2 games of football in a week is nothing at all...you know this is all they do for a living, they haven’t got full time jobs down the pit you know. 

A tennis player will typically run between 4 and 6 kilometres during a 5 set match. Craig Bryson ran 14 kilometres against Southampton - almost 3 times as far in half the time.

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

How many 4 hour games willl Nadal play in a fortnight in a major tennis tournament.? And what about the cyclists...? 

2 games of football in a week is nothing at all...you know this is all they do for a living, they haven’t got full time jobs down the pit you know. 

Well it's a good job our players played in both and won both then too. Now they can go home and eat kebabs like they do every night.

36 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Cyclists are the ultimate athletes. No football player couple ever even do one stage of any of the major tours, never mind 21 back to back. 

And then they get on them fancy buses, inject themselves, have a bath, cool downs, look at data, have an expensive nutrionist feed them the correct break down of food their body needs etc etc.

You know why, because professional sport is all about fine margins.

We have done really well today.

If we compare to cycling, Froome has just won a stage on his own, a day after doing 129 miles while the rest of the tour had a rest day. 

It's not about them being tired. It's about Reading having tiny margins in explosiveness and stamina that can change the result of a professional game.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Good job he wasn’t really poo then because without him we wouldn’t have had those two goal because his passes started the moves 

Archived