Derby vs Reading Match Thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Norman said:

And then they get on them fancy buses, inject themselves, have a bath, cool downs, look at data, have an expensive nutrionist feed them the correct break down of food their body needs etc etc.

You know why, because professional sport is all about fine margins.

We have done really well today.

If we compare to cycling, Froome has just won a stage on his own, a day after doing 129 miles while the rest of the tour had a rest day. 

It's not about them being tired. It's about Reading having tiny margins in explosiveness and stamina that can change the result of a professional game.

Finally, this can now be the end of a totally nothing debate.

2 hours ago, cannable said:

Don’t normally like to single players out, usually think it’s unfair and their are extenuating curciumstances, but Huddlestone was poo  

I just had to join this forum today (long time silent reader) after this outragoues post. Tom was superb first half and set up both the goals, if he was the striker rather than the creator he would have been motm. Admittdley not affective 2nd half but he was instrumental us winning the match

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Have to add to this thread that their number 18 (not even gonna try and spell it) on loan from Liverpool looked at real player. Dictated the play on the ball, 21 now so looking unlikely for him at Liverpool, one to look at in the summer?

I hate to be in anyway disloyal to Waghorn but I thought this fellow (their No 18) was MOM today. Sharp,  tough tackler, great positional awareness of his fellow players and won so many one-on-one tackles. He is certainly someone for managers to keep their eye on; didn't know at the time he was a Liverpool loanee.

So relieved to beat the Reading hoodoo today, especially after Wednesday's win - we have failed to capitalise on what could be defining wins this season on a few occasions. We could, and maybe should, have been up by 3 after 20 minutes, and I think most people realised that after Wednesday's efforts the second half was always going to be a struggle. Quite surprised that it took so long for Bennett and Nugent to come on. Great result and enhanced by Martin ONeill's inaugural return to the Red Dogs

4 minutes ago, Underground Ram said:

I just had to join this forum today (long time silent reader) after this outragoues post. Tom was superb first half and set up both the goals, he he was the striker rather than the creat9r he would have been motm. Admittdley not affective 2nd half but he was instrumental us winning the match

Welcome to the asylum.

I counted we could have been 3 or 4 up in the first 15 mins today if we had better decision making (Marriott the main culprit). But great start, we didn’t make them pay and as a consequence they came into the game. Reading have decent players barrow aluko swift mccleary to name a few. 

Great to get in 2-0 at half time, could we muster an explosive start to the second half to kill the game, unfortunately we couldn’t and the second half became backs to the wall as Southampton definitely caught up with us. We were treading water for the second half. Great character to dig in and hang on, even more credit to us that reading didn’t create a single chance after they scored despite all their play! 

Today was about the 3 points. We got them move on to two difficult but winnable league games now, results have gone for us though shame the Red Dogs couldn’t do us a favour! 

2 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

However, at half-time I was getting all excited that we were going to get two good refs in a row, because Andy Taylor on Wednesday night was really good, apart from his wrong use of VAR, and missing the foul on Harry Wilson in the lead up to the second goal. But a great ref none the loss. I still had my doubts, and mentioned the possibility of today's official getting his half-time EFL bollocking for being too impartial. And bollocking he got, because a few minutes into the second half he started, giving free-kicks against Mason Mount who got the ball on all three occasions, with the ref booking him for the third. Baffling. Mount, who has come back to life in the last two matches, then seemed to fade a bit, and I noticed that although he was challenging for the ball, he was no longer putting tackles in. There were numerous weird decisions, including booking Holmes, with no-one having a clue what for. Holmes had just beaten two men and laid the ball off to Wilson, I think, with the ref calling the play back. People around me could only guess that Holmes had blocked a player off. But then Waghorn had been blocked off on the half-way line to prevent him getting clear onto a through ball, but not even a free-kick. Consistency? Where?

You speak so much rubbish about referees. The ref today was a total homer. We got so many decisions today that we shouldn't have got. 

Mount wasn't booked today, so not sure where you got that from. 

Got in there before @Mafiabob with this. 

2 hours ago, Underground Ram said:

I just had to join this forum today (long time silent reader) after this outragoues post. Tom was superb first half and set up both the goals, if he was the striker rather than the creator he would have been motm. Admittdley not affective 2nd half but he was instrumental us winning the match

Welcome to the forum, your point is spot on, looks like you are a supporter who understands the game, the more we get on here the better, yes, Tom first half was excellent, second half he tired, which I can understand after the effort put into the Southampton game, some of us understand the game, and some just listen to sky sports, and other such experts in the media lol, anyway thought we played some very good football today, long may it continue.

8 hours ago, rynny said:

You speak so much rubbish about referees. The ref today was a total homer. We got so many decisions today that we shouldn't have got. 

Mount wasn't booked today, so not sure where you got that from. 

Got in there before @Mafiabob with this. 

Gave up mate, moans about consistency, but the only thing he’s consistent is picking fault with an official, says it all every week nearly where he’s the only one being critical

38 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Sorry if posted but what did Holmes get booked for?

Off the ball clash, wrestled someone to the ground to lose his marker. Reading clearly identified his runs as a threat and they often blocked him off and his frustrations got the better of him.

Really does get stuck in for a player of his size.

3 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Off the ball clash, wrestled someone to the ground to lose his marker. Reading clearly identified his runs as a threat and they often blocked him off and his frustrations got the better of him.

Really does get stuck in for a player of his size.

I did wonder if it was something like that. There was a couple of occasions in the first half when he was obstructed/held back off the ball but nothing was done.

Thought he had a great first half.

Makes me wonder how he ended up at Scunthorpe. Maybe a late bloomer.

Did I hear correctly? Near the end of the match the guy on the tannoy said Waghorn was MOTM but you can carry on voting. Eh? What would be the point (other than maybe another money earner)?

Holmes looks a great buy - his run for the goal was just like one of Brysons' 

Archived