Southampton vs Derby FA Cup 3rd Round Replay match thread

RadioactiveWaste

Wilson would cost more than £15-18m, definitely, I would think it would be closer to the £25-30m mark. Nevermind, as much as I like his flashes of brilliance, there are so many aspects to his game that he needs to step up, not to be a good player for us because he is already, but to be a good player for Liverpool. 

The second goal was a great example, just careless on the wing and embarrassed himself with his weak effort of staying on his feet. He should look close to home in Gareth Bale to see how he progressed so quickly, most of it purely comes down to endurance and strength. The ability to always stay in the game is huge. 

It was a good performance, lots of effort, but there's so much we need to improve on in order to be able to win promotion. I don't worry too much about the playoffs, I think we will be there or thereabouts, but the ability we need to win them is at a higher level than we are currently showing. I hope beyond hope that we back Lampard with a couple of players this window, whether they are talented loans or whatever, but we need a bit of help at the back and in midfield. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

He looked wrecked. Even watching the penalties after you could see pain on his face. 

Can you imagine playing through bad cramp. If I get cramp for 2 minutes i'm out of house chores for a month. He took a penalty. It's humiliating ?

Waghorn looked ok after the final whistle. 

We can compete with Premiership clubs as the performances and results show against Man Utd, Chelsea and Soton this season. We tend to struggle against more agricultural sides and weak referees who think they need to give decisions against us because its Frank and they don't want to be seen as favouring him.

Great to see Mason Bennett back looking strong and showing no fear - he could be massive for us in the run in. 

Great support all through the match from the Derby fans, hats off to every single one of you and I am unbelievably jealous not to have been present there tonight.

Go and get us promoted Frank and we'll take our chances in the Prem.

?

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

The more i think on it, Rowett sold Ince to buy Lawrence but Lawrence is basically en even more frustrating player than Tom Ince was.

Two gilt edged chances if he wasn't so worried about hurting his face....

Thing is ince wasn’t ever particulary frustrating, people just seemed to make out he was cause he never smiled. He was actually very consistent and reliable on the ball, far more so than Lawrence. That said, Lawrence does have greater potential imo, if he worked on his all round play.

Unfortunately couldn’t watch the match but I’ve just spent an enjoyable 20 minutes going through the match thread.  It was like I was there... the emotional ups and downs, the drama of the VAR decisions, the analysis, the despondency and the joy, the unadulterated fickleness and the absolute knowitall’dness is all there in black and white.  An emotional rollercoaster!

Quite fun though when you know the score! 

Well well well another brilliant night in a cup competition this year! 

Roos 8 great save from Redmond 

Bogle 8 ... 1 or 2 crosses still easily getting put into the box but other than that back too great form tonight 

Tomori 7 last few months I’ve seen why he started as a RB doesn’t win headers he should and was a mile away from Redmond when he scored but he’s brilliant on the ball 

Keogh 8 Leader 

Malone 8 put a shift in for 120 looked very very tired in extra time but was brilliant after coming back from a spell out! 

Huddlestone 8 some of his passing abilities are a class above 

Bryson 9 thought he was brilliant chased everything and started a few good breaks hoping this gives him confidence

Mount 9 back to his best tonight 

Wilson 8 wonder kid didn’t get too involved in the game but you can always rely on him

Marriott 7 looks tired some nice hold up play 

Waghorn 9 hoping he gets a good run now, cracking header.. came forward with the ball well! 

Subs 

Lawrence 7 missed a few decent chances but did effect the game in a positive way

Nugent 7 typical Nuge really gives his all 

Holmes 9 thought he was bloody brilliantly coming in at RB his pace his tackling he held the ball well his defending really helped us late on! Cracking buy he is’ 

VAR 0 

He's probably an inch offside so all over football supporters say yes it’s offside so move on but cmon we must of waited 3/4 minutes for the decision, thought it was suppose to be clear cut!   

Been too 8/9 away games this season and I’ve got to say tonight we sang the whole way through brilliant tonight probably best all season 

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The second goal was a great example, just careless on the wing and embarrassed himself with his weak effort of staying on his feet. He should look close to home in Gareth Bale to see how he progressed so quickly, most of it purely comes down to endurance and strength. The ability to always stay in the game is huge. 

Eh? Bale dives more than Tom Daley.

Tomori didn’t put a foot wrong. It’s slightly worrying that him and Keogh are probably the first names on the teamsheet, since with Pearce gone, we don’t really have anyone in the squad to allow them to have a rest. Granted Wisdom is a fallback option but his form has been erratic  

After the 120 minutes at Old Trafford, we lost away at Bolton in the next match so fingers crossed we get a better follow up v lowly Reading. 

3 hours ago, Topram said:

Subs 

Lawrence 7 missed a few decent chances but did effect the game in a positive way

Nugent 7 typical Nuge really gives his all 

Holmes 9 thought he was bloody brilliantly coming in at RB his pace his tackling he held the ball well his defending really helped us late on! Cracking buy he is’ 

And Bennett? Don’t forget we used 4 subs

7 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Southampton scored their first when he was dragged out ?

Certainly did as i wasn't concentrating and missed it.

Keogh had launched the ball out for throw, then it kicked off with matey so i got distracted as Southampton hadn't really created much - next thing I knew all the saints fans wete up.

Pfft 

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

We can compete with Premiership clubs as the performances and results show against Man Utd, Chelsea and Soton this season. We tend to struggle against more agricultural sides and weak referees who think they need to give decisions against us because its Frank and they don't want to be seen as favouring him.

Great to see Mason Bennett back looking strong and showing no fear - he could be massive for us in the run in. 

Great support all through the match from the Derby fans, hats off to every single one of you and I am unbelievably jealous not to have been present there tonight.

Go and get us promoted Frank and we'll take our chances in the Prem.

?

Absolutely. 

Thought Mount was great last night. Impressed a lot with Malone too, carries a great threat going forward.

Was a good game to watch, thoroughly enjoyed

7 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

How many freekicks has Wilson scored this season including the one for Wales? I think it's 5?  His freekicks and technical ability are outstanding , if he can improve his all round game he could develop into a Champions league quality player, hopefully we can get him on a permanent in the summer  if we somehow manage to go up.   I reckon Liverpool would be willing to sell him, but we would have to pay around 15-18million for him , so not a prayer if we are in the championship.

From bbc...

Derby County's Harry Wilson has scored eight goals from outside the box in all competitions this season, at least twice as many as any other player in the top four tiers of English football in 2018-19. Five of those eight have been from direct free-kicks.

Archived