Southampton vs Derby FA Cup 3rd Round Replay match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Saity said:

I don't remember the linesman flagging or any Saints players contesting the goal so for me i don't see why VAR was used at all on Brysons goal. Surely its only for clear and obvious errors and to me that was nothing like clear and obvious

nobody seems to know, here are the current year's rules regarding FA Cup, rules=clear as mud

Video Assisted Referees
“VARs” means Video Assisted Referees as defined under the protocol of the International Football Association Board (“IFAB”).
The Association reserves the right to select any match in the Competition Proper, at its absolute discretion, in which VARs will be used. This means that the Referee in such matches can make decisions based on information provided by the VARs in accordance with the relevant protocol of the IFAB.
Guidance regarding the use of VARs will be provided by The Association to the relevant Clubs at the appropriate time.

Regardless of VAR I don’t get to watch many games but after my grandsons birth last week and my daughter naming him Derby I took my eldest kids to St Mary’s and had the most amazing night, well done to all the fans your simply amazing.

went through so many emotions and this morning loss of voice my man of the match by a country mile Tomori.

1 hour ago, MK said:

Totally agree. Then it takes out the absolute howlers and doesn't ruin the atmosphere and flow of the game. It seemed like they were just checking after each goal last night just in case which is not how i think it should be used. 

Rugby, cricket, tennis etc have all had this technology for ages and have fine tunes it to make it work well. Football needs learn from how they implement it so well rather than making it's own mistakes to learn from. Hopefully, like with all the other sports that have brought it in, it's use will improve drastically as officials and the tech itself improves. 

That was the thing that annoyed me most last night. Linesman didn’t have his flag up, referee called it a goal, none of the Southampton players appealed. Everyone was in pretty much unanimous agreement that it was a goal. Yet they felt the need to check it anyway. 

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

nobody seems to know, here are the current year's rules regarding FA Cup, rules=clear as mud

Video Assisted Referees
“VARs” means Video Assisted Referees as defined under the protocol of the International Football Association Board (“IFAB”).
The Association reserves the right to select any match in the Competition Proper, at its absolute discretion, in which VARs will be used. This means that the Referee in such matches can make decisions based on information provided by the VARs in accordance with the relevant protocol of the IFAB.
Guidance regarding the use of VARs will be provided by The Association to the relevant Clubs at the appropriate time.

But he didn't "make a decision based on information provided by the VARs"... It appeared he had those decisions made for him!

How the feck can a ref make a decision without seeing the replay(s) on a screen, for himself?  This is a crap way of doing things, imo.  I just presumed it was gonna be the same as in the WC, when the ref tootles off to take a look himself.

25 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

4.6m watched the penalty shootout. Thats pretty neat.

It would be (neat) if only it were true!

You and I both know that 4.55m were actually in the kitchen, making their cocoa, seeing as the news was delayed!

...Still... feck 'em, eh!  They made the stats look good!  happy0009.gif

6 minutes ago, Topram said:

Anyone else think if VAR isn’t used in the first game it shouldn’t be used in the replay?

I'd take some convincing.  Two separate games.  Do they have the same ref/lino's? 

Different pitch size (in theory), different weather conditions.  Quite possibly different starting line-ups (either through choice, or injuries/suspensions etc).

It's a no from me... I think!

31 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'd take some convincing.  Two separate games.  Do they have the same ref/lino's? 

Different pitch size (in theory), different weather conditions.  Quite possibly different starting line-ups (either through choice, or injuries/suspensions etc).

It's a no from me... I think!

OK, VAR amounts to different rules, as opposed to different venue/date. It's the same as not being allowed to field players who weren't eligible to play the original tie.

went last night , proud of all the lads , yet again going toe to toe with Premiership opposition , big shout out to Keogh and  Tomori both immense , Roos , pushing for that 1st team shirt and Waggy who showed last night what hes all about , onto Saturday , lets get back on it at home COYR

10 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

went last night , proud of all the lads , yet again going toe to toe with Premiership opposition , big shout out to Keogh and  Tomori both immense , Roos , pushing for that 1st team shirt and Waggy who showed last night what hes all about , onto Saturday , lets get back on it at home COYR

This is where we usually rooster it up.

Interesting game on Saturday after last nights efforts.

Archived