Southampton vs Derby FA Cup 3rd Round Replay match thread

RadioactiveWaste

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southampton are a side that we had potential to thrive against as they are not especially big or thuggish. And they played a few rookies - and they even had Giles Barnes brother on the bench!

enjoyed the game we played, some good stuff. We look quite unstructured at times though with players popping up everywhere and that can create issues when large spaces open up that teams can exploit. And we dawdle sometimes on the ball rather than releasing a quicker pass.

but that’s minor gripes really. And shout out to the gentleman next to me who told me he’s not a Derby fan, comes from Shrewsbury has recently retired and promised himself he’d try to get to a few grounds he’d never been to. So he went to PP, enjoyed it so much that he followed us for the replay. Takes all sorts!

8 hours ago, RamNut said:

How do you know when the ball was kicked?

Precisely, about a billion percent this - Drives me crazy that we just accept that this technology that the line is square to the pitch, that the actual moment when the ball left the boot is then, yet we come to a conclusion that this is a 'clear and obvious' error. Mental.

8 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

How many freekicks has Wilson scored this season including the one for Wales? I think it's 5?  His freekicks and technical ability are outstanding , if he can improve his all round game he could develop into a Champions league quality player, hopefully we can get him on a permanent in the summer  if we somehow manage to go up.   I reckon Liverpool would be willing to sell him, but we would have to pay around 15-18million for him , so not a prayer if we are in the championship.

Naaah, it’s just knuckle ball, doesn’t know where it’s going, no skill in that ?

Roos 9 - His save late on kept us in the game. Caught numerous crosses and punched well when required. Calm with the ball at his feet, didn't dither and distribution was good. Should really be pushing Carson for a starting spot.

Bogle 7 - Still let some crosses come in. Really needs to work on getting his body between the goal and the winger. Other than that thought it was his best performance for a while.

Malone 8 - Tireless energy for saying he's only recently back from injury. Got forward well and one of his better defensive displays.

Tomori 7 - Rave reviews on tv but I thought his positioning for both goals was bad. Other than that, showed he has strength and speed in abundance. Great pass to Wilson in the lead up to the equaliser.

Keogh 7 - Left in knots for their first goal. Once again started many of our attacks. Nerves of steel to take the final penalty. Pleased for him.

Huddlestone 7 - So calm with the ball at his feet. Possibly not his best passing display. As much as I like him, thought we looked better when he went off. 

Bryson 6 - Did what he does, plenty of energy without really affecting the game, although he was obviously very unlucky to have a great goal chalked off.

Mount 7 - Much better than he has been of late. Missed a good chance that would have rounded of a great move. Excellent penalty.

Waghorn 8 - Literally ran himself into the ground. Deserved his goal and was great to see him smash his penalty home. Not sure why he is not starting more games.

Marriott 6 - Not one of his better games. Probably injured and it showed.

Wilson 8 - Weak for their 2nd goal. Anonymous for periods but when he bursts into life in a game he always makes an impression. Great goal and assist.

Subs:

Lawrence 6 - As bad as his misses were, we definitely looked more of a threat when he came on.

Holmes 8 - Not had anything bad to say about this guy so far. Looking a quality player and also very versatile. Looking like a cracking buy.

Nugent 4 - Poor display. Wasted decent positions, kept gifting possession and putting us on the back foot. Maybe lacks concentration because he's trying to be the joker, all round nice guy and even at one point decided he was Saints physio. Scored his penalty to redeem an otherwise awful performance. 

Bennett 6 - Put himself about and made a brilliant challenge in our box.

Lampard 7 - Didn't really react to Southampton making tactical changes. I think from last night, we just look so much better going all out attack although this obviously leads to us giving away more chances. 

A few other observations:-

Massive respect to the fans that made the journey. Made yourselves heard and were a credit to the club.

VAR - it's becoming a joke already. Massive changes need to be made of its going to buy used successfully and not spoil the match for fans at the game.

Nothing mentioned about the fact that Southampton should have been down to 10 men. The simulation rule needs clarifying because at the moment it seems like the toss of coin decides if it is a booking or not.

Southamptons form has picked up a bit since they got a new manager so this was a good result. Not sure how many of them normal starting 11 were playing.

Redmond seems to have become a really good player. Don't remember ever being that impressed by him before. 

Going forward we have a lot of options and dangerous players to pick from, Im not too sure that Marriott is completely suited to a 1 up top formation (cant be too bad though because hes still scoring goals).

Just our defending really that lets us down, I think Malone and Keogh can be steady defenders if we can get the right players around them. Not saying Bogle and Tomori are poor players just inexperienced, If we could get a Center Half and Full Back in it would be great. Add to that a good midfield player and i think we have a good chance.

Thought everyone worked there socks off last night, Mount was doing what he does best working hard and being good in possession, Wilson coming back from injury getting a goal and assist just shows his quality.

Special mention for Roos, wouldn't mind seeing him start on Saturday. Great saves and commanding from the back, Deserves credit for stepping up to the task.

2 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

It’s not rocket science. 

Playing 120 minutes on a Wednesday and then a 170+ mile trip back home. I think that explains it for you. 

OK, OK. Just asking in case you'd seen something else that concerned you. 

Fair points (except for the trip home point. I don't think such a journey on a luxury coach would be that much of a hardship) but there is of course the counter argument that there should be a good deal of euphoria after coming back from two nil down and winning on penalties that may help offset some of the fatigue. 

Nether the less. I agree, they always need the 12th man (but not necessarily any more on Saturday than any other game) and certainly deserve it after last night's heroics. 

Great game and some great performances, I just want to mention that although I've criticised Bryson this season and still don't think he's the player he was he was none the less very good last night.

I thought Temori was brilliant and Tom Huddlestone was really classy and clever although got caught a couple of times.

Waghorn showed why we need to get him more involved where it matters in the box and Mount was back to his best.

I thought Malone grew into the game and his fitness levels look high and a big mention for Duane Holmes, this young lad is a real prospect and really played well at RB and his simple passing was effective.

Also i was quite surprised at how good Roos looked

Well done to all the players and was quite special to see Keogh smash the winner in, he deserved that moment.

Also a note on Frank , his words after the game were superb making sure that the fans committment was praised and speaking very well as usual

Great Night  to be a Ram...well done team  and supporters ?

17 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Roos 9 - His save late on kept us in the game. Caught numerous crosses and punched well when required. Calm with the ball at his feet, didn't dither and distribution was good. Should really be pushing Carson for a starting spot.

Bogle 7 - Still let some crosses come in. Really needs to work on getting his body between the goal and the winger. Other than that thought it was his best performance for a while.

Malone 8 - Tireless energy for saying he's only recently back from injury. Got forward well and one of his better defensive displays.

Tomori 7 - Rave reviews on tv but I thought his positioning for both goals was bad. Other than that, showed he has strength and speed in abundance. Great pass to Wilson in the lead up to the equaliser.

Keogh 7 - Left in knots for their first goal. Once again started many of our attacks. Nerves of steel to take the final penalty. Pleased for him.

Huddlestone 7 - So calm with the ball at his feet. Possibly not his best passing display. As much as I like him, thought we looked better when he went off. 

Bryson 6 - Did what he does, plenty of energy without really affecting the game, although he was obviously very unlucky to have a great goal chalked off.

Mount 7 - Much better than he has been of late. Missed a good chance that would have rounded of a great move. Excellent penalty.

Waghorn 8 - Literally ran himself into the ground. Deserved his goal and was great to see him smash his penalty home. Not sure why he is not starting more games.

Wilson 8 - Weak for their 2nd goal. Anonymous for periods but when he bursts into life in a game he always makes an impression. Great goal and assist.

Subs:

Lawrence 6 - As bad as his misses were, we definitely looked more of a threat when he came on.

Holmes 8 - Not had anything bad to say about this guy so far. Looking a quality player and also very versatile. Looking like a cracking buy.

Nugent 4 - Poor display. Wasted decent positions, kept gifting possession and putting us on the back foot. Maybe lacks concentration because he's trying to be the joker, all round nice guy and even at one point decided he was Saints physio. Scored his penalty to redeem an otherwise awful performance. 

Lampard 7 - Didn't really react to Southampton making tactical changes. I think from last night, we just look so much better going all out attack although this obviously leads to us giving away more chances. 

Massive respect to the fans that made the journey. Made yourselves heard and were a credit to the club.

VAR - it's becoming a joke already. Massive changes need to be made of its going to buy used successfully and not spoil the match for fans at the game.

Nothing mentioned about the fact that Southampton should have been down to 10 men. The simulation rule needs clarifying because at the moment it seems like the toss of coin decides if it is a booking or not.

Southamptons form has picked up a bit since they got a new manager so this was a good result. Not sure how many of them normal starting 11 were playing.

Redmond seems to have become a really good player. Don't remember ever being that impressed by him before. 

Agree completely re tomori 

im getting grief on another thread for saying I don’t rate him

he did play well last night but as u say postioning he was a bit flat footed for the second one when it was clear the guy was always going to try and slide the forward in, although where our midfield had gone is a bigger question so to be fair to tomori he was rather exposed there 

the first one, loved the way the VAR showed him casually trotting back once he’d been taken out of the game 

kinda want to see a little more desire there when ur a defender and ur out of position 

he had a good game over all but overall I’m not impressed 

it’s been alluded to by many that he cant mark and heading is ropey when crosses start coming into our box 

kinda key for a centre half imo .. call me crazy 

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Subs:

Have to agree with everything you've said there.

I'm reluctant to focus on one negative but, much as I love the guy, I do think Nugents time is done.

With regard to the fans who went (I wasn't amongst them), it won't happen but I think they should be given priority for the Stanley game where tickets will be limited. I know there will be some folk that go to plenty of away games and would have gone last night if they could but those that did make it deserve as much respect as the team.

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Can VAR be changed to review system yet?

Manager/Captain have 2 reviews per game. If they get one wrong, they can't use the other for the rest of the half. Get it right, they keep the review.

Done. Fixed.

Totally agree. Then it takes out the absolute howlers and doesn't ruin the atmosphere and flow of the game. It seemed like they were just checking after each goal last night just in case which is not how i think it should be used. 

Rugby, cricket, tennis etc have all had this technology for ages and have fine tunes it to make it work well. Football needs learn from how they implement it so well rather than making it's own mistakes to learn from. Hopefully, like with all the other sports that have brought it in, it's use will improve drastically as officials and the tech itself improves. 

19 minutes ago, MK said:

Totally agree. Then it takes out the absolute howlers and doesn't ruin the atmosphere and flow of the game. It seemed like they were just checking after each goal last night just in case which is not how i think it should be used. 

Rugby, cricket, tennis etc have all had this technology for ages and have fine tunes it to make it work well. Football needs learn from how they implement it so well rather than making it's own mistakes to learn from. Hopefully, like with all the other sports that have brought it in, it's use will improve drastically as officials and the tech itself improves. 

I don't remember the linesman flagging or any Saints players contesting the goal so for me i don't see why VAR was used at all on Brysons goal. Surely its only for clear and obvious errors and to me that was nothing like clear and obvious

Archived