Watchable telly

dog

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Obviously episode 4 was a bit of a departure and seemed unnecessarily focused on one aspect of the story

I dunno, I think in retrospect - that WAS the story. The stalker thing made the superficial headlines but really it was a story about how being sexually abused impacted on his whole life

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I dunno, I think in retrospect - that WAS the story. The stalker thing made the superficial headlines but really it was a story about how being sexually abused impacted on his whole life

Yeah, he had to do stand up for a while.

After finishing Fall of the House of Usher (very good), we decided to jump straight into another Mike Flanagan creation: Midnight Mass (Netflix).

Promising first episode but must admit it threw me a bit having most of the actors playing billionaires in Usher, now turning up on an impoverished remote island.

Abused by Mum: The Ruby Franke Scandal.  On Channel 5 last night.  Deeply disturbing but compelling documentary about a social media influencer who gave guidance on bringing up six kids while secretly neglecting and abusing them in real life.  Distressing but well worth a watch in my opinion.

I was crushed when Slow Horses 3 finished last night.

Crushed because they've already filmed the 4th series, and Mrs Badger will want to watch it.

The first two episodes were pretty good, even if you had to suspend disbelief, and the third and fourth were preposterous garbage.

I wanted every major character not called Jackson Lamb dead.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I was crushed when Slow Horses 3 finished last night.

Crushed because they've already filmed the 4th series, and Mrs Badger will want to watch it.

The first two episodes were pretty good, even if you had to suspend disbelief, and the third and fourth were preposterous garbage.

I wanted every major character not called Jackson Lamb dead.

I’m prepared to suspend my disbelief (I even believe my wife when she says I won’t be long when she goes shopping).

However, the idea that a crack troupe of professional hitmen couldn’t hit targets in an area the size of an airing cupboard was a bit too silly. Shame, as the writing is generally good.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

However, the idea that a crack troupe of professional hitmen couldn’t hit targets in an area the size of an airing cupboard was a bit too silly

It was gloriously daft wasn't it? Still - the whole thing is worth it for Gary Oldman's stellar performances

Watching the new thing Bodkin on Netflix - two episodes in, quite enjoying it. About an annoying podcaster travelling to Ireland to look into a cold case, and things quickly going wrong. Similar feel to the second season of The Tourist, but better

On 11/05/2024 at 12:31, Day said:

Opened this topic to say Clarkson’s Farm. It’s the reason why I missed the Northern Lights as I couldn’t not finish the last 4 episodes last night.

It’s the only TV series that could go on for another 20 years and never get old.

Hands down the best show on TV.

Entertainment, education, storyline, characters, it has everything and Pepper, oh Pepper, what an ending that was.

I’m ready for season 4 now.

On 11/05/2024 at 22:53, Bob The Badger said:

I loved one and I enjoyed season two, but it felt a lot more scripted/contrived. Still great value though, and I'll definitely check out the latest.

Didn't mind Clarkson.  Thought he played up to a pantomime villain.  Till he said that anyone who complained about having their redundancy rights reduced and work pension changed from 60 to 67 should be lined up and shot.

At that point it was apparent he really was a massive c*** who'd been silver spooned all his life.  

Two episodes into Clarkson Farm and it's 'meh' for me.

It's highly scripted, even more than in season two, as they look for new angles.

Does anybody really believe that 3+ years after taking over a farm, Clarkson didn't know what a muck bedspreader was ffs?

Or that he'd drag an expensive blackcurrant picking piece of kit down a wall after he was lent it.

He does a very good gormless look when pretending he didn't know something the Village Idiot would have known, but it's gone from being brilliant and original to eye-rolling at times.  

A bit like Ted Lasso, in so much as the initial idea was great, but they didn't know when to let it go.

Inside Number 9 continues to amaze in the quality of content they can push out nine series in. Last night's (The Trolley Problem: S9E2) was excellent.

If anyone is still not up to speed I was on a really boring Teams meeting this morning and pulled out my top ten episodes across all series (I pretty much think I have seen them all).

1. A Quiet Night In
  2. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room
  3. The Referee's A…
  4. Lip Service
  5. The Trolley Problem
  6. Love's Great Adventure
  7. The 12 Days Of Christine
  8. Once Removed
  9. To Have And To Hold
  10. A Random Act Of Kindness

44 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Two episodes into Clarkson Farm and it's 'meh' for me.

It's highly scripted, even more than in season two, as they look for new angles.

Does anybody really believe that 3+ years after taking over a farm, Clarkson didn't know what a muck bedspreader was ffs?

Or that he'd drag an expensive blackcurrant picking piece of kit down a wall after he was lent it.

He does a very good gormless look when pretending he didn't know something the Village Idiot would have known, but it's gone from being brilliant and original to eye-rolling at times.  

A bit like Ted Lasso, in so much as the initial idea was great, but they didn't know when to let it go.

I’m okay with it. There’s enough aspects of serious farming to make it educational. 

I laugh at the silly bits, as he intends us to. All reality TV is anything but, given there will be an entourage following everyone around and interactions will be scripted.

I think everyone should be educated on how food reaches their table. Other farming programmes are more accurate but don’t have mass appeal.

It needs the daft bits to keep the audience amused in between the more serious messaging.

Clarkson screwing up and being abused by his co-stars makes us feel a bit better about our own shortcomings 😊

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Inside Number 9 continues to amaze in the quality of content they can push out nine series in. Last night's (The Trolley Problem: S9E2) was excellent.

If anyone is still not up to speed I was on a really boring Teams meeting this morning and pulled out my top ten episodes across all series (I pretty much think I have seen them all).

1. A Quiet Night In
  3. The Referee's A…
  4. Lip Service
  5. The Trolley Problem
  8. Once Removed
  9. To Have And To Hold

Haven’t watched the new episode, but the first episode of series 9 was brilliant

5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Haven’t watched the new episode, but the first episode of series 9 was brilliant

It's a strange old programme as many don't agree on which episodes are the best. I thought the first was a OK, the second was terrific. I guess that's the way it goes when you are making programmes outside the norm.

On 16/05/2024 at 10:44, BaaLocks said:

1. A Quiet Night In
  3. The Referee's A…
  4. Lip Service
  5. The Trolley Problem
  8. Once Removed
  9. To Have And To Hold

Diddle Diddle Dumpling was one of my favourites

1 minute ago, NottsRam said:

never saw series 1 so i might give it a go.

One was pretty good.

But two was awful imho.

It's turned into a soap opera.

Mrs Badger liked it, but I'd have happily stopped watching.

The Responder first series was great and 3 episodes in for the new one I feel that has dropped off a tad. Still pretty good though.

Nearly finished The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

Have read the book but couldn't recall it that clearly, so it was interesting to go into it with some idea but not totally knowing it all.

It lighter than the book if anything.  They are pushing the romance angle more than the book and Mrs Chester keeps saying 'I can't believe that bit's true'. But she means about minor things about their relationship rather the inhuman things happening round them. It's emotionally fraught but somehow it doesn't quite connect at all times for me.

I notice small stuff, like everyone looks a bit too 'chubby' to be 100% believable and I don't feel it quite hits hard enough with the completely off the scale horror of making the tiniest mistake and the terrifying random nature of the violence- even though it is frequently shown.

Also not sure why Harvey Keitel is small and has a foreign accent but the young version is really tall and speaks in a posh English accent?

For all those little complaints,  it is a really watchable and 'enjoyable' series.  

8 out of 10 for me and I'm sure lots of people will disagree and find it more emotionally affecting than me.

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

One was pretty good.

But two was awful imho.

It's turned into a soap opera.

Mrs Badger liked it, but I'd have happily stopped watching.

The Responder first series was great and 3 episodes in for the new one I feel that has dropped off a tad. Still pretty good though.

I enjoyed S2 apart from the final episode which I felt worked too hard to wrap everything up neatly.

I wouldn't call s2 soap opera, rather giving depth to the characters, which you need to in any series as it develops.