Watchable telly

dog

26 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Loved Godless - doff of cap to @Bob The Badger for the heads up. Very different to 1883 in that's it's an old-fashioned, straight up western tale of redemption with a pretty epic finale, but I thought it was great. 

Loved Godless too. Another example of an actor in varied roles. Thought Jeff Daniels was brilliant in that. I've just finished watching him in The Looming Towers.

Plus he was also in one of my all time favourite shows, The Newsroom. 

A bunch of actors in Godless who had great roles in other shows.

Kim Coates who plays the head of security (only 4 episodes in and can't remember his name) was the lead in the utterly brilliant Bad Blood.

That series (there were actually two) really went under the radar.

For anybody who hasn't seen it, check it out on (I think) Netflix.

There was also Merritt Wever from Unbelievable that was almost as good as Bad Blood.

As well as the leads. I recognised Michelle Dockery from Anatomy of a Scandal but didn't realise she was in Downton Abbey as I've never watched it.

And of course JD who was is as @86 Hair Islandsand @ketteringrampointed out, utterly fabulous.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

A bunch of actors in Godless who had great roles in other shows.

Kim Coates who plays the head of security (only 4 episodes in and can't remember his name) was the lead in the utterly brilliant Bad Blood.

That series (there were actually two) really went under the radar.

For anybody who hasn't seen it, check it out on (I think) Netflix.

There was also Merritt Wever from Unbelievable that was almost as good as Bad Blood.

As well as the leads. I recognised Michelle Dockery from Anatomy of a Scandal but didn't realise she was in Downton Abbey as I've never watched it.

And of course JD who was is as @86 Hair Islandsand @ketteringrampointed out, utterly fabulous.

Just need to finish Top Boy then i will give Bad Blood a go, got some rave reviews.

On 09/04/2022 at 18:19, ThePrisoner said:

That finale of Severance was bloody brilliant. The whole show has been fantastic. Ben Stiller's directing has really given it an eerie feel to it. Great stuff on Apple TV+

Just started this, I’m 2 episodes in. It’s got a Black Mirror feel to it. Didn’t realise Ben Stiller directed it. 

On 25/04/2022 at 13:47, Wolfie said:

We've been watching Stay Close (Netflix) over the weekend.

I used to read a few Harlan Coben books on past holidays, so was curious about this adaptation.

Unrealistic if not utterly bonkers in many ways but have to admit it's an entertaining watch.

Just finished another good Harlan Coben one on Netflix: Safe

Navalny on iplayer.  Intriguing look at Puitn's political opponent and the Kremlins attempt to poison him, his recovery and his return to Moscow.  If anyone could be in any doubt about the regime running Russia they wont be after watching this.  Fascinating

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Also enjoying the new detective drama: Grace at the moment - ITV/ITV Hub

John Sim very watchable as usual.

I've read all the novels and think the TV series is doing a good job so far. Inevitably there is a lack of detail because they are pulling the entire novel into each two-hour episode. 

However  I like the fast pace that this creates; it makes a pleasant change from some of the more introspective dramas in vogue recently, where there is lots of filler of the navel gazing variety, whilst it takes six episodes to reach the conclusion you've already drawn in week two!

Anatomy of a Scandal. Limited series on Netflix. The dialogue is incredibly stilted and the flashbacks are frequent and annoyingly shot. Which is a shame because the acting is decent and the story has promise.

At least it's bought some time for a few episodes of the final series of Better Call Saul to be released.

Moon Knight on Disney+

As a bit of a Marvel fan I started watching this without knowing anything about it - turns out you don't have to know anything about any of the marvel movies and its quite light on 'super hero' stuff for most of the 6 episode series.  An intriguingly weird show that had me captivated by the end.  

Excellent acting from Oscar Isaac, episode 5 in particular.

Wanchope/10

Tokyo Vice - Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver) playing an American in Tokyo who upsets an applecart with his Western notions of investigative journalism, bringing himself firmly into conflict with a local crimelord. The ever-excellent Ken Watanabe supports. It's a really interesting show that provides a striking insight into the uneasy relationship between Japan's Yakuza clans and the authorities and Japanese sub-culture as a whole. It does meander a little at times, but definitely worth a watch. Hopefully season 2 is commisioned as season 1 only gets us halfway back to the beginning - this will make sense if you watch it! 

No idea where it's streaming as I stole it and I can't be arsed to look. Soz Moz.

On 04/05/2022 at 15:28, maxjam said:

Moon Knight on Disney+

As a bit of a Marvel fan I started watching this without knowing anything about it - turns out you don't have to know anything about any of the marvel movies and its quite light on 'super hero' stuff for most of the 6 episode series.  An intriguingly weird show that had me captivated by the end.  

Excellent acting from Oscar Isaac, episode 5 in particular.

Wanchope/10

Been hearing good things about this. Not a Marvel fan either. Find them generally too samey.

But looking forward to this. Been waiting for the whole series to drop before starting it. Just can't do the weekly thing anymore!

The staircase on Sky Atlantic is very good. Colin Firth as real life novelist Michael Peterson, accused of killing his wife who was found at the bottom of the stairs. A fall? Maybe, but why so many catastrophic injuries?

I am gripped. 

17 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

The staircase on Sky Atlantic is very good. Colin Firth as real life novelist Michael Peterson, accused of killing his wife who was found at the bottom of the stairs. A fall? Maybe, but why so many catastrophic injuries?

I am gripped. 

There’s a docuseries about it. Very thought provoking. 

On 07/05/2022 at 21:53, Anag Ram said:

I am gripped. 

This was plagiarised, In 1560 Robert Dudleys Wife Amy Robsart was found at the bottom her stairs with suspicious injuries ☹️ was it a fall or was she pushed.

Edited by Unlucky Alf