Watchable telly

dog

24 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

We know nothing of MCU in this house and really enjoyed it. Reason being they save any superhero action to the last couple of episodes. The rest is just great storytelling. 

Glad you enjoyed it ?

You will have missed a lot of the 'inside' stuff though - the stuff that us nerds notice ? 

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Glad you enjoyed it ?

You will have missed a lot of the 'inside' stuff though - the stuff that us nerds notice ? 

Me and the kids have just finished 2nd series of Agents of Shield. It's really good and properly brings the Marvel style to a tv series. Some proper funny lines within the serious story too.

23 hours ago, maxjam said:

Excellent finale - a couple of post credit scenes with the inevitable hint at a return in the future.

So Wandavision for the uninitiated, sadly give it a miss it requires a fair bit of existing MCU knowledge and you'll just be left thinking WTF for large parts of it.  If you know a bit about the MCU however, you'll still be left thinking WTF at times lol but the payoff is well worth it - watch it, you won't be disappointed.

Just a couple of weeks until Falcon and Winter Soldier starts now ?

Yeah, the post credits definitely drop hints, but just as likely to be Capt Marvel 2 and Dr Strange movie teasers. Was expecting another character or 2 to show up, so surprised they kept it all fairly low key. In terms of reveals, it was a bit ho-hum, but still a very good series! I imagine they won’t a season 2, as this format was a 1 series idea. The beauty of Marvel having so many characters means that their shows can be diverse and remain a season each. Not too overwhelming that way!

Looking forward to the next series in 2 weeks now!

21 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

We know nothing of MCU in this house and really enjoyed it. Reason being they save any superhero action to the last couple of episodes. The rest is just great storytelling. 

Emotionally, they did a great job of making you care about 2 characters who were kind of bit part players in the grand scheme of MCU movies. Drunk Vision is my favourite! As @maxjam says, the only upside to having lots of knowledge of the MCU was the little geek outs when certain characters or references were made. Not necessary to enjoy the show though. Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm most of the way through the 2nd season of The West Wing and here are my observations that nobody is bothered about:

1. The scriptwriting is super tight apart from point #5

2. The choreography (for want of a better word) and the use of steady cams is incredible. I bet at least 9 members of the crew broke legs and another 2 or 3 shattered a pelvis trying to film it.

3. The acting (other than point #5) is outstanding, especially John Spencer who played Leo (I couldn't believe he was only 52 when it started, he looked more like 65 - very sad to see he's since shuffled off this mortal coil) and the dude whose name I'm too lazy to look up and too old to remember, who played Toby and of course, Martin Sheen.

4. It really sucks watching something so good on a OLED 4k tv in  low-def other than point #5 who I wish had been in no-def.

5. Rob Lowe is the worst actor in it by some margin (he's utterly horrible and in it on name recognition alone). His lines often seem glb and his timing even glibber.

In short, a Craig Short out of ten when Craigy was firing on all cylinders just before we sold him. 

Maybe even better tbh.

9 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I'm most of the way through the 2nd season of The West Wing and here are my observations that nobody is bothered about:

1. The scriptwriting is super tight apart from point #5

2. The choreography (for want of a better word) and the use of steady cams is incredible. I bet at least 9 members of the crew broke legs and another 2 or 3 shattered a pelvis trying to film it.

3. The acting (other than point #5) is outstanding, especially John Spencer who played Leo (I couldn't believe he was only 52 when it started, he looked more like 65 - very sad to see he's since shuffled off this mortal coil) and the dude whose name I'm too lazy to look up and too old to remember, who played Toby and of course, Martin Sheen.

4. It really sucks watching something so good on a OLED 4k tv in  low-def other than point #5 who I wish had been in no-def.

5. Rob Lowe is the worst actor in it by some margin (he's utterly horrible and in it on name recognition alone). His lines often seem glb and his timing even glibber.

In short, a Craig Short out of ten when Craigy was firing on all cylinders just before we sold him. 

Maybe even better tbh.

We're at the end of 3rd season. I agree about Rob Lowe, but for me anyway, that doesn't knock it down much. The rest of the cast are so good. Agree about the definition too. Are you watching it on All4? I should probably have bought it on disc, and a device that would play the discs! Last couple of episodes in series two, are perfect.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

We're at the end of 3rd season. I agree about Rob Lowe, but for me anyway, that doesn't knock it down much. The rest of the cast are so good. Agree about the definition too. Are you watching it on All4? I should probably have bought it on disc, and a device that would play the discs! Last couple of episodes in series two, are perfect.

The one thing I thought would bother me is how dated it would be. But other than the phones and TVs, it's not at all dated, almost every plot seems like it could have happened under the Trump regime - and some did.

And yes watching on ALL4. TBH, still getting my head around UK tv and it's vagaries. For the life of us we cannot get it to remember which episode we last watched and we have to go hunting for it as there are random episodes from days or weeks ago sat there.

And last time I had Sky over here you could fast forward and see where you were at the same time. Now if I fast forward it just freezes the image of where I was so I can't see the place I want to advance to and shows me a bunch of adverts in the inset box.

Then again there was no on demand back then so I'd always be using the record feature and maybe that still works like that.

Zerozerozero

Weirdly, I'm thinking its like how with the same ingredients you can make two vastly different meals. 

Interesting premise, big budget, foreign setting, lots of action,and double- crossing drug dealing stuff going on all over the place. 

Yet somehow Gomorrah is just fricking brilliant and Zerozerozero is confusing, a bit wooden but pretty watchable style over substance. 

Sith Happens

Not a current show but one I am buzzing over and cant wait to see, the new Frasier series.

Loved Cheers, loved Frasier even more. Cant wait.

Will probably be crap mind.

Started 'I know This Much Is True' after a couple of recommendations. Seems interesting enough so far, Mark Ruffalo and Juliet Lewis are both very good actors. 

Read with interest my greatest ever guilty-ish pleasure 'Dexter' is returning! May binge the whole lot again. Doesn't have the substance of a Mindhunter or True Detective but as a slightly less intense /dark cousin of those type of series, I enjoyed it massively. The scenery, the characters and the dialogue made for really great easy viewing. 

We're soon going to be hunting for the next 'binge-watch'. We've now watched the first 12 series of 'Criminal Minds' - only another 60 or so episodes to go. Some episodes are excellent, others utterly awful. 

20 hours ago, Eddie said:

We're soon going to be hunting for the next 'binge-watch'. We've now watched the first 12 series of 'Criminal Minds' - only another 60 or so episodes to go. Some episodes are excellent, others utterly awful. 

Anyone looking for a binge watch in ten bite sized chunks should try The Terror on BBC 2. Terrific cast in a gritty and sometimes gruesome story, based on fact, of an expedition to find the Northwest Passage. Two ships get stuck in the Arctic and the crew has to decide what to do. 

I won’t add any more detail. It’s better to watch and enjoy.

On 04/03/2021 at 08:28, Anag Ram said:

Yeah, first episode pretty good. 

Your Honor has been good so far on Sky Atlantic.

I may have to shift from Your Honor to The Terror because it has gone downhill staggeringly quickly.

Loved the start and the premise of Your Honor, but the acting is horrible (even Bryan Cranston now he's gone into crazy mode), the script preposterous and I actually want the kid to get caught he's such an utter moron.

I'm 4 episodes in but not sure I can stomach much more.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I may have to shift from Your Honor to The Terror because it has gone downhill staggeringly quickly.

Loved the start and the premise of Your Honor, but the acting is horrible (even Bryan Cranston now he's gone into crazy mode), the script preposterous and I actually want the kid to get caught he's such an utter moron.

I'm 4 episodes in but not sure I can stomach much more.

Funnily enough we have found it a struggle to watch Your Honor. 

Bryan Cranston is still playing Walter White and Michael Stuhlbarg is still playing Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire. 

I have stopped believing in it and you're right, the son deserves jail! 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Funnily enough we have found it a struggle to watch Your Honor. 

Bryan Cranston is still playing Walter White and Michael Stuhlbarg is still playing Rothstein from Boardwalk Empire. 

I have stopped believing in it and you're right, the son deserves jail! 

I actually said that to the missus last night, that BC needs to stop playing Walter.

When he was just the Judge he was excellent, then it's almost like somebody made him do a load of amphetamine and sent him back on set wired senseless and told him to act normal.