v Wigan (a) match day thread

RiddingsRam

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Who won?

Not the match. I know Derby won that by doing everything in the first 30 minutes with effort, concentration and awareness.

I mean the contest of who can be the most stupid and lazy player to help Wigan equalise.

I know it's not good to moan after a win but would the team rather take lessons from a win or a loss? 

Because that second half was a showcase of poo against 10 man Wigan. Impressive levels of plodding about playing kick chase.

Wake up or go home.

Glad someone else said it. We’re gonna throw everything away through our own pathetic poor decision making and laziness if this continues. The team never seems to learn either, game after game we say how we’re causing our own downfall by sloppy play, slow starts etc but they continue happening. 

Now I ain’t had the best last few weeks so maybe it’s more to do with that, but I find myself getting frustrated and angry at this team often the last few games. And it’s not cause they’re poor, but it’s because they’re not showing how good they can be because they’re not doing the basics right.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As good as the first 30 minutes were, the rest of the game was pretty poor. Cook changed his system and was able to make his side competitive again. We really struggled after the half, with plenty of poor passes and individual errors, but I can’t help but think that a slight change in system would have kept us in the accendancy. The way we play is always likely to mean the opposition could be drawn into bad challenges and cards. 

This is the first time we’ve come up against a team with 10 men and not let a draw or lead slip this season. The worrying thing is that it wasn’t exactly comfortable. 

All that being said, it’s a good win against a team with only one other loss at home this season - A record better than ours. We’ve also created breathing room between us and the chasing pack. Now we need to hunt down the impressive Leeds and Norwich - the best two teams I’ve seen this season. 

17 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I dunno about that, it’s units within the team rather than individuals imo. Lawrence was excellent against Swansea, but poor today, shows his inconsistency and why perhaps we need more competition there. I’m a Huddlestone fanboy so I ain’t gonna say too much on that account, he has been a culprit but it’s been others as well.

Huddlestone sets the tone for the team though, he has been great at times this season but awful on other occasions if Evans isn't going to play we should look at buying another midfielder to push him and compete for a starting place , I don't know when Evans will get back to full fitness  maybe he will soon make an impact.  Lawrence again either great or garbage and I would say far too many times he delivers no end product. I hope either Jozefoon or Waghorn starts against Forest. I'm confident we will make the play offs but we need to try and push for 2nd  and to do that we should look to make some January signings., play offs would be an ok season but we should be pushing hard for top 2 becuase I feel we are close to being good enough , we just need 2 new quality palyers and we will be looking strong. I am positive overall on our chances of doing well, but a lot of games seem touch and go and I feel like we need to up our game a bit if we want to stay in contention for top 2.

Watched on the feed - another nervy finish but awful weather in the second half - we looked lightweight in midfield and lost a lot of 50-50s - normally sympathetic to Lawrence, not today. 

But big credit for an away 3 points and up to 3rd (at least till sheff u at Reading), Holmes doesnt look like a man to defend a lead but battled hard when he came on.  

Callum McDonald rather than Wisdom on the bench - have we given up on Wisdom as well now ? January could be interesting - potentially  freeing up wages from Butterfield, Anya, Thorne, Wisdom  (I’d keep Pearce) might allow a couple of improvements. 

(And nice to see Luke Thomas score again for Coventry)

What an awful game to watch from 30 mins onwards.

Every offensive player was poor, barmaybe Marriott who kept trying to make runs behind but the players on the ball were not even looking to find him. Lawrence had a shocker and should be dropped. 

My concern is what the coaches and mgt team are trying to do. Stoke was the perfect set up on how now to play against  10 but we just did exactly the same.

We won, and it's 3 points but keep doing that and we won't get very far.

Carson - 6

Bogle - 6. An assist at last but poor on the ball afterwards.

Keogh -6

Tomori - 6

Hudds - 6

Bryson - 5 (working out what he is offering?)

Mount - 6

Lawrence - 3

Wilson - 6

Marriott - 7

What a pleasant surprise. I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect anything today, as Wigan is a tough place to go to at the minute and it had all the makings of a 1-0 shithouse home victory. This hunch intensified when I arrived at my seat having consumed just two cans of Dark Fruits due to Wigan’s ridiculous pricing. How wrong I was.

Today we showed a lot of balls. We played some lovely stuff in the first half but the second half was a test of our heart and our grit, as we needed to dig in for the whole of the second 45. Of course, we should expect to be more comfortable with a man advantage against a mid-table side, but it’s never that easy in this fantastic league.

Two players stood out for me today. Fikayo Tomori was immense at the back and has grown into his role superbly. But MOM for me, by an absolute mile, was Tom Bloody Huddlestone. We all know about his on-the-ball abilities, but it was his defensive work that was incredible today. He put us on the front foot countless times with his lung-busting sliding tackles that always seemed to result in the ball going to a Derby player. Top notch.

That feeling at the end of the game was amazing. The relief at the final whistle was great, but the belief shown by the singing of ‘Ey Aye Ey Aye Ey Aye Oh’ and the force of the bounce at the end were my favourite moments.

We have a good thing going at this club right now. Let’s keep this going into our biggest game of the season on Monday. That game will be the most important Derby-Forest fixture since I’ve supported the club due to our respective league positions.

I bloody love this club, and I’m saying that as a sober man.

Up the chuffing Rams.

1 minute ago, BurtonRam7 said:

What a pleasant surprise. I’ll be honest, I didn’t expect anything today, as Wigan is a tough place to go to at the minute and it had all the makings of a 1-0 shithouse home victory. This hunch intensified when I arrived at my seat having consumed just two cans of Dark Fruits due to Wigan’s ridiculous pricing. How wrong I was.

Today we showed a lot of balls. We played some lovely stuff in the first half but the second half was a test of our heart and our grit, as we needed to dig in for the whole of the second 45. Of course, we should expect to be more comfortable with a man advantage against a mid-table side, but it’s never that easy in this fantastic league.

Two players stood out for me today. Fikayo Tomori was immense at the back and has grown into his role superbly. But MOM for me, by an absolute mile, was Tom Bloody Huddlestone. We all know about his on-the-ball abilities, but it was his defensive work that was incredible today. He put us on the front foot countless times with his lung-busting sliding tackles that always seemed to result in the ball going to a Derby player. Top notch.

That feeling at the end of the game was amazing. The relief at the final whistle was great, but the belief shown by the singing of ‘Ey Aye Ey Aye Ey Aye Oh’ and the force of the bounce at the end were my favourite moments.

We have a good thing going at this club right now. Let’s keep this going into our biggest game of the season on Monday. That game will be the most important Derby-Forest fixture since I’ve supported the club due to our respective league positions.

I bloody love this club, and I’m saying that as a sober man.

Up the chuffing Rams.

Whoa!  Bit too positive this (but is nice to read after all the doom and gloom...)

We need a man motivator on the pitch to keep the standard of play more consistent. At the moment we are like two different teams even with the same players on the pitch. One or two suitable players will make all the difference. As I've said before we need a confident battler bruiser who can rouse the rest of the team.

1 minute ago, valleyram said:

He’s seemingly not 

5 booking deadline passed a few weeks back - the Stoke game was the cut off I think so caught Johnson (excluding the additional ban) but Bryson & Waghorn (I think) survived @ 4 bookings.

15 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

EXCELLENT result at a very difficult place to win at this season - sure we should be scoring more of the chances we create and one day we will 

First point is indeed a very good one, I’ve been bemoaning the recent performances a lot but it definitely should be noted what we’ve succeeding in doing that many others haven’t- beating Wigan at home. 

And it was the first game I’ve listened to on radio derby that we haven’t lost, so good to get the record out the way as well. Even if they did make it feel like a loss.

Frustrating to log on and see we’ve lost against ten men again. Will just go and check the stats from the game.

Whats that? We’ve won and have gone to 3rd? But all the comments from the game have indicated we’ve lost! Well I for one am surprised that our game management has gotten a bit worse with our move to a vibrant young team with a novice managerial team!

Archived