v Wigan (a) match day thread

RiddingsRam

Real game of 2 halves. Should have been out of sight by half time but then found ourselves clinging on at the end.

Wonder if we are suffering from burnout. Seem to lack energy and can't put 90 minute performances in.

Very lucky to end with 10 men today. Silly reaction by Wilson first half and then should have received a second yellow for yet another dive.

Keogh and Tomori stand out players today, everyone else average at best.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came on here to comment on how lazy we were second half, and it’s nice to see others sharing my frustrations.

There was a total lack of commitment and concentration from us. You had Mount, Wilson, and Lawrence being selfish around the area, almost expecting to easily beat 2 men or smash in a worldly. Their attitude seemed to be “oh we’re playing against 10 men, things are a formality now, I can relax and show off a bit”. No intelligence.

There was zero urgency and team-playing. And it’s been like that for a few games now. We need to find that hunger and intensity again, because when we have it we’re unplayable. A few months ago we’d have smashed a 10-man Wigan 4-0. 

Of course we won and the 3 points are the most important thing, but I have to admit I’m starting to wonder if we’ll go the distance this season. We need to start putting in performances.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Real game of 2 halves. Should have been out of sight by half time but then found ourselves clinging on at the end.

Wonder if we are suffering from burnout. Seem to lack energy and can't put 90 minute performances in.

Very lucky to end with 10 men today. Silly reaction by Wilson first half and then should have received a second yellow for yet another dive.

Wilson did nothing wrong, the Wigan player tried to con the ref.

2 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Wilson did nothing wrong, the Wigan player tried to con the ref.

Not sure which incident you are referring to there? 

First half he was clearly fouled but then put himself in their players face. 

Second half was a clear dive but he was clever enough to bounce straight back up, if he'd stayed down he would have been walking.

10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That wasn’t a dive for me, even with rose tinted specs on.....

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Came on here to comment on how lazy we were second half, and it’s nice to see others sharing my frustrations.

There was a total lack of commitment and concentration from us. You had Mount, Wilson, and Lawrence being selfish around the area, almost expecting to easily beat 2 men or smash in a worldly. Their attitude seemed to be “oh we’re playing against 10 men, things are a formality now, I can relax and show off a bit”. No intelligence.

There was zero urgency and team-playing. And it’s been like that for a few games now. We need to find that hunger and intensity again, because when we have it we’re unplayable. A few months ago we’d have smashed a 10-man Wigan 4-0. 

Of course we won and the 3 points are the most important thing, but I have to admit I’m starting to wonder if we’ll go the distance this season. We need to start putting in performances.

Spot on. There’s a difference between confidence and arrogance imo. We seem to have the latter, and it’ll destroy us if we don’t sort it out soon

3rd in the league, grinding out results but with massive room for improvement.... This is where we are, not bad though ??

We need an experienced, quality addition in the window of the Dave Mackay, Taribo West , Igor Stimac type to galvanise the squad. Not sure that Ashley Cole is what is needed. Frank can only do so much from the technical area...... 

Any suggestions within FTP and Mel’s budget?

OK, for everyone at the match and wondering why it was a 'game of two halves' today; did anyone notice the weather? In those squally showers we were kicking against 60 mph headwinds. Wonder why passes were falling short all the while? There's your answer. And even running into that is bloody hard work!

We needed to score more first half as that was always going to happen second half. As it was, we were rather wasteful and then got drawn into their silly attempts to get Wilson sent off and even up proceedings. I was relieved when Lampard took him off - we need him against Forest.

In the first half Wilson, Bogle, Lawrence and Marriott looked good; second it was Huddlestone, Tomori and Keogh who put their bodies in the way of Wigan's direct, bustling play.

Fair play to Paul Cook for making the changes to keep Wigan competitive. I would have had a bit more sympathy though if the idiot Morsy hadn't been so blatant in his pathetic attempts to get a foul at every turn. He was lucky not to get a second yellow - or an Oscar. Prat! 

Well done Derby for a battling performance against a team that loses very rarely at home. Hope we are saving the scintillating finishing for a week on Monday. COYR! 

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

We’ve been very poor for a while now imo, we were awful against Wednesday too. And its all from our own lax play. After being so delighted with the regime a few weeks back I find myself furious at the way we’ve gone about our business recently. I’ll be labelled a wrist slasher but it isn’t good enough, it’s sloppy and if I was Lampard I’d be throwing teacups around at certain players.

And yet we've gone up to 3rd. Bizzare. Carry on being this poor and we'll be too of the league in no time.

My main concern about this team recently is we can’t win when not playing well. Showed lots of steel today in second  half. We should be delighted with the result especially as Leeds are the only other team to have won there this season. The issue we had last season is we won most games ugly and didn’t have another gear, this season is a different ball game, we know we can play miles better which makes it all the more positive when we win ugly albeit frustrating. We’ve proved and today Forest have proved that you’re not going to get your own way every game.

Lamps said it after the game, we’re still in transition, we’re young our net spend is less than the teams around us but we’re in the mix we’re 3rd in the league (at the moment) we have a shot! And by and large the football is great to watch. If we had kept Rowett we’d be nowhere (yes I thought he did well last season and he’d be our best chance to stay competitive in austerity, i was wrong because Frank has changed in ways and more quickly than I thought was possible with our budget).

Lets enjoy the ride and try to enjoy next week even though derby day is hell - until you win!!

25 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

That wasn’t a dive for me, even with rose tinted specs on.....

He didn’t even stay down, he kicked the floor and buckled but then had enough to scramble himself up and chase the loose ball. At no point did he put his arms up or look back at the ref. 

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

OK, for everyone at the match and wondering why it was a 'game of two halves' today; did anyone notice the weather? In those squally showers we were kicking against 60 mph headwinds. Wonder why passes were falling short all the while? There's your answer. And even running into that is bloody hard work!

We needed to score more first half as that was always going to happen second half. As it was, we were rather wasteful and then got drawn into their silly attempts to get Wilson sent off and even up proceedings. I was relieved when Lampard took him off - we need him against Forest.

In the first half Wilson, Bogle, Lawrence and Marriott looked good; second it was Huddlestone, Tomori and Keogh who put their bodies in the way of Wigan's direct, bustling play.

Fair play to Paul Cook for making the changes to keep Wigan competitive. I would have had a bit more sympathy though if the idiot Morsy hadn't been so blatant in his pathetic attempts to get a foul at every turn. He was lucky not to get a second yellow - or an Oscar. Prat! 

Well done Derby for a battling performance against a team that loses very rarely at home. Hope we are saving the scintillating finishing for a week on Monday. COYR! 

You make a great point with the conditions. I thought we struggled against stoke when there was almost standing water on the pitch, too much water to make it a slick passing surface, our play will inevitably be slower removing one of our main assets

2 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

And yet we've gone up to 3rd. Bizzare. Carry on being this poor and we'll be too of the league in no time.

Never really understood this argument just like I don’t understand the never change a winning team argument , you can always improve. Why are we third and not first or second? The best are never happy not being the best.

39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was watching on TV and Wilson did zero wrong in either instance - there was no silly reaction. He turned to walk away and lowered his head as you do as you start to walk.

He actually acted with maturity because he'd just been hauled down and didn't get a blatant free kick.

Morsy went over like a sack of spuds when Wilsons head never came within a foot of his and he was at right angles to him.

The replay was shown 7 or 8 times in all, there is no debate. I think it was Kevin Wilson who said 'he's going to be really embarrassed when he (Morsy) sees that'.

As for the 'dive' - he never even appealed ffs! 

Plus he jumped straight back up again.

Wilson did great and when people see the replay nobody will have any doubt.

Well that was harder work than it should have been but as @angieram said the weather definitely had a bearing. After pummelling them a bit after the 1st goal it only looked a matter of time before we scored another and possibly more. We got over the line just and brought home the spoils. Will take scrappy 1nillers away from home from now until the end of the season. 

I've not read through the thread so I stand to be corrected BUT I expect all the drama queens have come out again (6 or 7 usually). I just wanted to say that we are third 6 points off top. They were down to 10 men because they fouled Wilson when in on goal. We won 1-0 and the match stats are great. What's not to like...UTR. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbob said:

We’ve gone up to third cause we scraped the win. Doesn’t make any baring on the performance. Perform like that was and you’re more likely to lose than you are to win, and are likely to drop down the table. Sorry but it’s the truth, no use covering it up. Well done for seeing the result through, but performances are what breed long term success.

Archived