v Wigan (a) match day thread

RiddingsRam

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes I have, never have I said otherwise. After the West Brom game I said the only thing that would stop us winning this league is our own stupidity. Because that was one of the finest performances I’ve seen from a championship team in all the time we’ve been down here, and it wasn’t just the one performance either, for a good month we were absolute star quality and I genuinely believed, for the first time in a while, that we were going to push on and decimate the division ala Leicester 13/14 when they won like 15 on the bounce.

But it’s exactly that isn’t it, our own stupidity. Since the villa match we’ve been absolutely dreadful at times, and it’s not us lacking in quality or technique or anything like that, because this is the most talented bunch of players we’ve had in a long time. It’s lackimg in focus and effort, too many times were caught napping, being too arrogant and lax with our passing. And nothing frustrates me more than that. It’s not having an off day, it’s just not trying hard enough, and that’s unacceptable imo, and if I was derby manager I’d be absolutely fuming at times over the last few weeks. Because like I say the quality is there in abundance and we are capable of playing some brilliant stuff, capable of achieving anything in this division IF we work to earn the right.

As I say it’s a good result today I’m not disputed that, I’m just saying we can’t just keep writing off poor performances because eventually they’ll start hurting you. Things have to change and I’ve seen a worrying lack of improvement, as we keep experiencing the same slow starts and drop offs in performances.

Hopefully you’re right and we’ll get back to form against forest and hammer them, because if we don’t teams with their quality will easily dispatch us playing like we have recently. If we start playing to the best of our ability, then we will push on and destroy this league like I said we’re capable of. Until we start working for it however, we ain’t going to. Sorry but that’s the crux of it. You won’t get away with results like this and Wednesday forever.

Don't worry about it. You can't do anything to improve things except support your team. Frank and team are doing their best. UTR

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Yes I have, never have I said otherwise. After the West Brom game I said the only thing that would stop us winning this league is our own stupidity. Because that was one of the finest performances I’ve seen from a championship team in all the time we’ve been down here, and it wasn’t just the one performance either, for a good month we were absolute star quality and I genuinely believed, for the first time in a while, that we were going to push on and decimate the division ala Leicester 13/14 when they won like 15 on the bounce.

But it’s exactly that isn’t it, our own stupidity. Since the villa match we’ve been absolutely dreadful at times, and it’s not us lacking in quality or technique or anything like that, because this is the most talented bunch of players we’ve had in a long time. It’s lackimg in focus and effort, too many times were caught napping, being too arrogant and lax with our passing. And nothing frustrates me more than that. It’s not having an off day, it’s just not trying hard enough, and that’s unacceptable imo, and if I was derby manager I’d be absolutely fuming at times over the last few weeks. Because like I say the quality is there in abundance and we are capable of playing some brilliant stuff, capable of achieving anything in this division IF we work to earn the right.

As I say it’s a good result today I’m not disputed that, I’m just saying we can’t just keep writing off poor performances because eventually they’ll start hurting you. Things have to change and I’ve seen a worrying lack of improvement, as we keep experiencing the same slow starts and drop offs in performances.

Hopefully you’re right and we’ll get back to form against forest and hammer them, because if we don’t teams with their quality will easily dispatch us playing like we have recently. If we start playing to the best of our ability, then we will push on and destroy this league like I said we’re capable of. Until we start working for it however, we ain’t going to. Sorry but that’s the crux of it. You won’t get away with results like this and Wednesday forever.

You’re right but everyone knows that and agrees with you. But We’re not going to play at those levels all season. We’re young inconsistent and in transition. I think considering our net spend and the level of change we’ve had this is a great position to be in. We need to enjoy it. Agree if we play how we have past few games for the rest of the season we won’t stay in the mix, but seen enough to suggest that won’t be the case. Let’s stay positive.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Don't worry about it. You can't do anything to improve things except support your team. Frank and team are doing their best. UTR

Indeed not, sometimes you wish you could give some of their heads a shake tho! (Ahem Lawrence)? But no all we can do is create a massive atmosphere next Monday (having finished uni and had the whole day at the pub I certainly will be) and hope the team puts in a massive performance cause we’ll need it!

25 minutes ago, derbynut said:

Just wanted to pass on a massive thank you especially to Conehead John and Barrow Ram, but also all the other travelling Rams who made PatfromAus so welcome at Wigan. The weather may have been poor and the performance patchy, but he had a day to remember watching the mighty Rams. Derby was a pretty good team when I started supporting them from afar almost 50 years ago but I didn’t realise what a special club and group of supporters I’d rusted myself on to. Ok, enough of the pleasantries, but again, thanks, regards Pats Dad.    

You have a great young man and it was a pleasure meeting him. Just wished we could of spent more time with him.

Just arrived back home from Wigan, it was a long day, but worth it. In the first half, Derby were absolutely brilliant, we were quick, intelligent, and passing the ball around them for fun. Should have scored about 3-4 goals in the first half and killed them off, that's the only criticism I have of us in the first 45. Bogle's cross was wonderful, and Marriott did what he did best.

The second half wasn't pretty. Tom Lawrence had an absolute mare in the second half, was so wasteful on the ball. Carson put us under huge amounts of pressure with his dodgy kicking, once again. Tomori and Keogh were absolutely immense. Tomori is the best passing centre half I've ever seen for us, he's a brilliant footballer. Mason Mount was excellent in both halves, up there for MOTM for me with Tomori. 

Craig Bryson was largely ineffective today, and still seems a way off the pace to me, he chases shadows a lot, but his play the way your facing style isn't creative enough, and he doesn't get into scoring positions like he used to. Harry Wilson was targeted with abuse all game long, and Wigan players surrounded him on every opportunity, particularly whoever their number 5 is, rick. Wilson dealt with it well, and gained valuable experience of a hostile environment today. 

Overall, a decent day out, with a great first half, and a sub par second, we deserved to win and it's important to keep up our momentum. Plus Wigan does good pies.

7 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You’re right but everyone knows that and agrees with you. But We’re not going to play at those levels all season. We’re young inconsistent and in transition. I think considering our net spend and the level of change we’ve had this is a great position to be in. We need to enjoy it. Agree if we play how we have past few games for the rest of the season we won’t stay in the mix, but seen enough to suggest that won’t be the case. Let’s stay positive.

I know mate, I’m not calling for a sacking or owt like that, playoffs is what we’ll be expecting really, top 2 will probably be beyond us. But we just wanna see that effort and desire and focus for 90 mins. I can accept they’ll be times where we can’t quite break teams down, or make a couple of defensive errors, but it’s the avoidable mistakes through being half asleep that get me. As I say, we’ll remain in the mix if we return to the performances we showed in October, so let’s hope we do. Because we can do

I’m in Prague so didn’t go today but reading this thread, sounds like a few posters are actually disappointed we won. Some would rather lose and say “ I told you so” than win ugly. And their constant criticism be proved wrong. It’s funny how the match day threads get less than 30 pages when we win but nearly twice that when we lose. I hope we win next week and couldn’t give two tosses if we we are a complete pile of dog mess. The teams that get promotion from this league are the ones who win well but  more importantly, win ugly when needed 

Following the development of the PatfromAus story has been brilliant, culminating in the pictures here. This is what supporting a team is about - the dream, the passion, the anticipation and today, probably, a bit of euphoria at a Rams win. This is the point of supporting a club. It’s heartwarming and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed follow8ng the story. Rather this than the negativity about such and such and the players who should do better. Read the story, smile and look forward to more deforestation next week! 

46 minutes ago, derbynut said:

Just wanted to pass on a massive thank you especially to Conehead John and Barrow Ram, but also all the other travelling Rams who made PatfromAus so welcome at Wigan. The weather may have been poor and the performance patchy, but he had a day to remember watching the mighty Rams. Derby was a pretty good team when I started supporting them from afar almost 50 years ago but I didn’t realise what a special club and group of supporters I’d rusted myself on to. Ok, enough of the pleasantries, but again, thanks, regards Pats Dad.    

It’s always good to hear about fans from afar. 

I used to like Neighbours when I was young when Scott and Charlene were in it with Mrs Mangle and that dog.

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Just arrived back home from Wigan, it was a long day, but worth it. In the first half, Derby were absolutely brilliant, we were quick, intelligent, and passing the ball around them for fun. Should have scored about 3-4 goals in the first half and killed them off, that's the only criticism I have of us in the first 45. Bogle's cross was wonderful, and Marriott did what he did best.

The second half wasn't pretty. Tom Lawrence had an absolute mare in the second half, was so wasteful on the ball. Carson put us under huge amounts of pressure with his dodgy kicking, once again. Tomori and Keogh were absolutely immense. Tomori is the best passing centre half I've ever seen for us, he's a brilliant footballer. Mason Mount was excellent in both halves, up there for MOTM for me with Tomori. 

Craig Bryson was largely ineffective today, and still seems a way off the pace to me, he chases shadows a lot, but his play the way your facing style isn't creative enough, and he doesn't get into scoring positions like he used to. Harry Wilson was targeted with abuse all game long, and Wigan players surrounded him on every opportunity, particularly whoever their number 5 is, rick. Wilson dealt with it well, and gained valuable experience of a hostile environment today. 

Overall, a decent day out, with a great first half, and a sub par second, we deserved to win and it's important to keep up our momentum. Plus Wigan does good pies.

Did you get lost on the way home?

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

After the West Brom game I said the only thing that would stop us winning this league is our own stupidity. Because that was one of the finest performances I’ve seen from a championship team in all the time we’ve been down here, and it wasn’t just the one performance either, for a good month we were absolute star quality and I genuinely believed, for the first time in a while, that we were going to push on and decimate the division ala Leicester 13/14 when they won like 15 on the bounce.

Perhaps you got a little carried away with a couple of stellar performances? 

If you're judging the team to those standards then no wonder you moan so much!

To me we're one of the many teams scrapping it out for a play off place... dangerous on our day but with the same frailties that most other clubs have at this level, particularly this season.

When we're good we're very good (WBA, first half hour at Boro), but at present this is in 15-20 min patches rather than the 60-70 (or 90!) mins that we want.

Lower your expectations and you might be content sitting in 3rd place with a rookie manager, a young developing team and a net spend over the last 2 seasons that should see us expecting a 5th-10th finish, rather than a top 2 finish.

17 minutes ago, Doodle said:

I’m in Prague so didn’t go today but reading this thread, sounds like a few posters are actually disappointed we won. Some would rather lose and say “ I told you so” than win ugly. And their constant criticism be proved wrong. It’s funny how the match day threads get less than 30 pages when we win but nearly twice that when we lose. I hope we win next week and couldn’t give two tosses if we we are a complete pile of dog mess. The teams that get promotion from this league are the ones who win well but  more importantly, win ugly when needed 

Totally disagree.

The people 'moaning' in the main are fans who went to the game.  They want the team to win but aren't going to say 'we were brilliant' when we weren't.  

As Derby won they clearly aren't saying 'told you so' today. I can't get to every game so I like to read reasoned discussion when I can't go to see how things are progressing.  People saying 'yes we won' isn't very illuminating.

I went today so posted what I saw for those who couldnt. We started slowly, then played sublime football, followed by 45min of sloppy frustrating football. Performances for the rest of the season (not results) like today, I think we will struggle to get top 6. Wigan arent a great team and they were down to 10men and on the ropes.  We almost finished them off before half time, but then ultimately were slightly fortunate by 90mins.

I am going with the kids to Forest and can't wait. Guess what, I hope we win... but I will say what I see regardless.

19 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Totally disagree.

The people 'moaning' in the main are fans who went to the game.  They want the team to win but aren't going to say 'we were brilliant' when we weren't.  

As Derby won they clearly aren't saying 'told you so' today. I can't get to every game so I like to read reasoned discussion when I can't go to see how things are progressing.  People saying 'yes we won' isn't very illuminating.

I went today so posted what I saw for those who couldnt. We started slowly, then played sublime football, followed by 45min of sloppy frustrating football. Performances for the rest of the season (not results) like today, I think we will struggle to get top 6. Wigan arent a great team and they were down to 10men and on the ropes.  We almost finished them off before half time, but then ultimately were slightly fortunate by 90mins.

I am going with the kids to Forest and can't wait. Guess what, I hope we win... but I will say what I see regardless.

We have more talent in the squad than we've had for many a year.

We don't have a grafting team. Regardless of today's clean sheet we don't have a solid defence and sometimes we are gnawing our paws. 

This is Frank Lampard's Derby County v1.0.

Wigan away is a tough fixture and even though it wasn't pretty, it's three points when others slipped up.

If we are in the top four at January 1st when the transfer window reopens this could get very exciting.

This looked like a massive banana skin waiting to bring us crashing down.

It would have been so typical of us to lose today. So it’s good that we came through it unscathed.

We are a work in progress under Frank. When we perform like we did against WBA and Middlesbrough, it’s quite easy to forget that. You see performances like that and you start to think you should be playing everyone off the park.

But we have to remember the Championship is a slog and it’s rare that a team will get out of this division sweeping teams aside week after week. 

There are going to be times when you have to dig in and grind a win out. We should take great comfort from the fact that we are starting to develop that quality.

We don’t want it to be the norm, of course we don’t. But there is nothing wrong with finding a way to win.

Wins like WBA away will be the ones everyone remembers, but wins like today’s are the difference between 4th and 8th and the difference between 3rd and 1st.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Glad you enjoyed it Pat even though it wasn't the best game. Atmosphere was pretty good regardless. Hope you stayed around at the end to see Frank start the bounce. Would be more than happy to forward Rammie onto you before you go home. Just let me know how's best to do that. ?

So Rammie still might need that Visa, I’ll get in touch with you

1 hour ago, Pat_fromAus said:

JUST FANTASTIC, thanks to the most amazing supporter group I’ve been lucky enough to be a part of, sorry I didn’t catch you @Steve How Hard?, maybe we can reunite and I can finally take him down under. A massive thanks to @coneheadjohn@BarrowRam and his wife for helping me get the tickets, I don’t have a bad thing to say about this club and it’s fans, thankyou so much for making it one of the most memorable matches of my life

Will have to now tick off the bucket list of seeing them play In Derby and I think I’ll have to drag my father along to that one.

once again thankyou all

Forever COYR from the distant lands of Australia 

Kindest Regards Pat

PS the other photo is of my dad over 40 years ago and this year at the town sign for Derby, Australia, just further illustrate the heritage of our blood

7F2FCCBB-6D31-4967-B9BA-455C29A46221.jpeg

25ECA71C-4D47-428E-B2B7-DF0C94D321AE.jpeg

oooh-matron-29062761.png

Archived