v Wigan (a) match day thread

RiddingsRam

Well well well , I never have an ounce of luck with things like this so it looks like we all might have turned a corner together . 

Off up to Wigan who have one of the best home records in the championship so won't be expecting an easy game from a well organised , good passing Wigan team . 

Got my team prediction totally wrong for the Swansea game after I had brief hissy fit with 4-3-3 , but in 4-3-3 we believe. 

Same 11 for me maybe swap Nugent for Marriott 

3 pm k.o at the DW stadium 8/12/2018

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not been a happy hunting ground for us over the years but we’ll be expected to go and win this one. Won’t be easy, but if you’ve got aspirations of the top 6 you’ve gotta be winning battles like this. They’re a good side under cook who’ll no doubt play some decent football, so we need to go there full of energy and workrate and get at them for the minute go, to try and control the match like we did today. Can’t be lax and give them any time and space cause they’ll hurt us, we know how many points we’ve dropped there in the past, no complacency please.

Cant have any complaints at the team who played yesterday even if I don’t think it’s our strongest, so same team for me.

41 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not been a happy hunting ground for us over the years

We've won 4 of our last 5 matches there, the one was in that season. Its at home that we have struggled against them, just 2 wins, 1 in the FA Cup under Burley and a week after I was born, almost 33 years ago. 

I'd swap Nugent for Marriott too, then if we're comfortable after 70 minutes, put Nugent on for him especially if he's still slightly carrying a knock - we need him fit and available

25 minutes ago, goldstar said:

I'd swap Nugent for Marriott too, then if we're comfortable after 70 minutes, put Nugent on for him especially if he's still slightly carrying a knock - we need him fit and available

Funnily, I would do the opposite as I thought Nugent pulled their defence all over the place first half yesterday. That aspect of his game isn't always appreciated.  Let him tire Wigan's back line (and himself!) out then bring Marriott on to reap the rewards.

35 minutes ago, angieram said:

Funnily, I would do the opposite as I thought Nugent pulled their defence all over the place first half yesterday. That aspect of his game isn't always appreciated.  Let him tire Wigan's back line (and himself!) out then bring Marriott on to reap the rewards.

You could be onto something there actually, maybe would be worth a go, send Marriott at them when they've got tired legs

42 minutes ago, angieram said:

Or start them both? Nuge does his excellent work whist Jack does his great stuff simultaneously, rather than wait until late in the second half. It might tire Wigan twice as quick and we’ll have a goal or 2 too.

5 hours ago, King Kevin said:

Well what a conundrum I'm going to this one but we need to lose .We haven't lost a game in December since 2014 and if we don't get it out of the way this Saturday you can guess when it will be  ,bloody Forest.

Get a grip man, who says Super Frank's heroes can't keep that record going? Wigan and Forest are hardly Man City and Liverpool, are they?

Carson

Bogle        Keogh      Tomori     Malone 

Wilson     Huddlestone     Mount 

Waghorn    Marriott     Lawrence

or

Carson

Keogh     Huddlestone  Tomori 

Bogle   Wilson   Bryson   Mount    Malone

Lawrence or Waghorn

Marriott 

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Eh?!

Right let me explain, we haven't lost in December since 2014 the chances are this will shortly come to an end as all sequences do .Of course I don't REALLY want us to lose but IF we did I'd rather it be Wigan than fooking Forest.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:02, angieram said:

my thoughts exactly. Nuge was excellent on Saturday but just ran out of steam .. it would also be good man management and a pat on the back for Dave. The longer Marriott gets to heal the better .. you want 100% not 97% 

Think Waghorn would be ideal for this game, especially as Lawrence won't be afforded the time or space to really make an impact. Nugent to keep his place and use Marriott as a super sub. 

Can't see anything changing though, Lampard will play the same team and change it on 70 minutes if needed. Reckon 1-1 until 70 minutes and one of Holmes/'Zoon or Marriott to score a late winner 

Archived