Match Thread V Chelsea (A)

Millenniumram

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Derby team is exceptional. Every single player deserves credit from last night's game, particularly Jack Marriott who was absolutely superb. On another day, we win that game. My favourite part of the performance was our refusal to lay down and die. Away at one of the best teams in the country, and falling behind multiple times, but never giving in, and our enthusiasm to keep going was incredible. Something special is happening with this team. 

Always look on the bright side of life !

Even as a Chelsea supporter I thought Derby deserved to win. Chelsea were not good and, in particular, Morata ....

However, the Rams were keen, professional and skillful. It's a shame about the two OG's but I honestly think that when you look back you'll be grateful for this result. At least it takes away a Quarter final, then possibly a two legged semifinal and even a final.

As it is, the confidence of the team should be increased and you can focus on WINNING the Championship.

3 hours ago, roboto said:

What a night. Really impressed with how we went about our business and the atmosphere was amazing. It's so nice to have that feeling even after a loss. Some thoughts on each player last night below. Can't really find any critical words for anyone. Seems weird.

Carson - nothing you can do to react to those two OGs. Probably should've got a block in on the Fabregas goal, but pulled off a couple of great saves in the second half to keep us in it.

Bogle - Did what he could against a quality player like Willian in the first half and held his own. He was better in the second half when he managed to get higher up the pitch and linked up well with Bennett.

Keogh - Can't blame him for the OG. He was very nearly the hero again at the end. Oh, if only he would've put away that chance. Still love him like crazy and he came over quickly after the final whistle to show his respect for the fans and we sang it back to him. 

Tomori - Also really unlucky with his slice, but he was outstanding at the back again in my opinion. His positioning is getting better by the game and his speed helped against some clever Chelsea passing in the final third.

Malone - Loftus-Cheek had the measure of him for most of the game and the Chelsea attacks were down that flank mostly. He did ok, but didn't get the chance to show his forward play due to the Chelsea press. 

Huddlestone - Absolute beast in the middle. Think I can only remember one misplaced pass all game. Always showing for the ball and also broke forwards a couple of times early on to give Fabregas something to think about. 

Mount - Chased the ball when Marriott needed time to recover from previous efforts. When he joined the high press we forced mistakes from the Chelsea defence which got us into some good positions. 

Wilson - A quiet game for him. I noticed him dropping deeper than Huddlestone towards the end of the first half and begging Carson for the ball only for Carson to launch the ball over his head to Waghorn. We also didn't get any free kicks in a dangerous position for him.

Waghorn - Worked hard and caused Emerson some problems. Fluffed a great chance then put his goal away beautifully. Kepp plugging away and his goals will come. 

Lawrence- Did a lot of cover to help Malone against RLC in the first half. Got a couple of dribbles in but held the ball for a couple of touches too long in my opinion, but he had a good game and even got a couple of good tackles in.

Marriott - Awesome performance and he caused the backline so many problems that they decided to bring Luiz on to freshen things up next to Cahill. A bit more stamina work and he could work hard and effectively for 90 minutes. He was struggling to recover for each attack towards the end of the game.

Bennett - Worked hard when he came on and linked up well with Bogle which allowed us to have a good period of pressure in the second half.

Forsyth - stuck to the left byeline and gave us an option for the pass, but he wasn't really used too much. 

Nugent - So. ducking. Close! He offered more than I thought he'd be able to when he came on and was chatting to the young lads through the last 10 minutes to keep their heads up and positive. Offers more to the squad than being a footballer. 

That was the game I saw. Top post ???

Took an age to get back, even to Ipswich so I feel for the rest of you! Top afternoon and night out, I was very proud of the team.

The own goal thing that's started this week is just bizarre but hopefully we are over that now.

If anything, scoring 4 goals at Old Trafford and Chelsea proves we are a lot more ready for the Premier League if and when it comes than we were previously. Let's keep rolling on; this division is there for the taking.

18 hours ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Keogh an 8 despite his poor own goal?  Yet Malone 3 ratings lower who didn't make any big mistakes, I'd say 5 for Keogh and 5 for Malone would be fair . 8 is only for a very good performance in my view and scoring a poor own goal and letting cahil and Morata have free headers despite a few decent bits of play doesn't deserve an 8.

After such a very good team performance you're never going to be popular for criticising Keogh. In fact criticising Keogh isn't popular at any time. We like Keogh because of his attitude and work ethic, but it does blind many to his faults. Apart from the goal last night he did lose his man on at least two corners. His distribution, whilst mainly good, also caused problems.

I think I have posted a few times about the wisdom of not reaching for razor blades after a defeat, and not thinking we are Barcelona after a win.

Having said that, we lost last night - playing like Barcelona.

We are going to win this league - bookmark my words. Forget being measured and sensible - we are going up, say we are going up ?

23 minutes ago, KCG said:

After such a very good team performance you're never going to be popular for criticising Keogh. In fact criticising Keogh isn't popular at any time. We like Keogh because of his attitude and work ethic, but it does blind many to his faults. Apart from the goal last night he did lose his man on at least two corners. His distribution, whilst mainly good, also caused problems.

I have no problem with anyone criticising individual players, it's one persons' view after all and even though at times the vast majority may agree or disagree with that view, nevertheless it should be considered. Unfortunately, we have a tiny few on the forum who appear to have an agenda and will use any and every opportunity to manipulate a thread in such a way to further air their agenda - you only have to look at their posting history for confirmation. Keogh has his faults but so to does every player on the books.

13 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I ended up getting off at Leighton Buzzard, which was the wrong bloody stop. So instead of getting home at 06:30, I’ll be home at 07:30. Managed to find a gym to kill the 3 hours that I have waiting at Milton Keynes. Still worth it though, what a night.

I’ll probably never meet you Burton but I love you mate..

ok I’ve had a few today but I mean it 

To Be honest I’m giving a love  to every post, this is dream land and you know what, listen to Frank, he’s loving us as much as we’re loving him. I wish I brewed ale I’d name a beer after him( come on all you great Derbyshire breweries). Ok I’ve had some ale today but this is wonderful. I love life just now 

14 minutes ago, SKRam said:

To Be honest I’m giving a love  to every post, this is dream land and you know what, listen to Frank, he’s loving us as much as we’re loving him. I wish I brewed ale I’d name a beer after him( come on all you great Derbyshire breweries). Ok I’ve had some ale today but this is wonderful. I love life just now 

Derby Brewing Co. do a Super Frank IPA.

Thought it was another very good performance last night, you can't legislate for two own goals but the way you went about attacking them and getting back into the game twice was again pretty refreshing.

I don't think anyone, neutral or Chelsea die hard could have cribbed if Nugent had stuck that last minute chance 3 inches inside of the post.

Fair play, unlucky and another very early example of the level of class displayed by Frank. Arguably already up to fourth or fifth in my favourite current manager list. He's impossible not to like.

41 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Thought it was another very good performance last night, you can't legislate for two own goals but the way you went about attacking them and getting back into the game twice was again pretty refreshing.

I don't think anyone, neutral or Chelsea die hard could have cribbed if Nugent had stuck that last minute chance 3 inches inside of the post.

Fair play, unlucky and another very early example of the level of class displayed by Frank. Arguably already up to fourth or fifth in my favourite current manager list. He's impossible not to like.

Unless you're a Forest fan. Mardy Gits

Top tips learnt from yesterday....
1. Don't sing Chelsea Rent Boy songs in their pubs.
2. Don't buy kebabs in Harrow.
2a. Don't buy draft beer in Harrow.
2b. Don't stay in Harrow again.
3. Don't try and get a drink in Central London after 11pm unless you're prepared to queue for 2 hours.
4. Don't rely on linesmen for favours when you're away to a Prem team.

5 hours ago, KCG said:

I took a Celtic, a Lazio and a Torino supporter to the game last night and they all praised the entire team and mentioned that our defence was much better than the Chelsea defence on the night, both on and off the ball. They were very impressed with how we played the ball out from the back and on the deck. Huddlestone and Marriott were particularly praised for their part but so was Keogh (although I personally thought Tomori was our best defender on the night).

I thought Keogh's distribution was fine. He does only hit the ball at one speed (as hard as possible) which can sometimes cause problems for team mates who can't trap the ball and control it quickly enough, but we've had so many worse players than Keogh in recent years it beggars belief how many people still can't see how good he actually is and his passion for the club.

2 hours ago, philmycock said:

Top tips learnt from yesterday....
1. Don't sing Chelsea Rent Boy songs in their pubs.
2. Don't buy kebabs in Harrow.
2a. Don't buy draft beer in Harrow.
2b. Don't stay in Harrow again.
3. Don't try and get a drink in Central London after 11pm unless you're prepared to queue for 2 hours.
4. Don't rely on linesmen for favours when you're away to a Prem team.

Arguably the best city in the world and you pick Harrow?!?!

Archived