Match Thread V Chelsea (A)

Millenniumram

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Home from the game. Safe journey to all of ya going back to Derby.

The great thing is we can compete against the very best. Even in the McClaren eras I felt our games against top opposition were about containment and damage limitation - maybe with a hope of sneaking it. Now we play with no fear and go to win.

A bit of a lack of control in the early stages with frenetic defence and early nerves and two own goals. What I'd say is after them, Tomori and Keogh were immense. Men of character. Keogh my man of the match, though harsh not to give it to Marriott and everyone played well.

I was right behind Nuge's shot at the end and it looked in all the way. Maybe it hit an oddly shaped blade of grass or something to devitate it by an infinitessimal amount to move it onto the post and out instead of onto the post and in.

And as for their third goal, it was an absolutely outrageous foul on Lawrence. Really diabolical decision by lino and cowardly by ref (who made a lot of bad decisions) not to overrule and give the blatant shove, If (and it's a very very very big if given our past few seasons) we can maintain this intensity then we will be promoted and then we'll have to get used to terrible decisions from officials because we'll start out as a small team in a big league.

If (and again it's a big if) we can keep Frank, Jody, Chris and Shay, then we'll be a big team soon.

Oh, and Marriott for England. Good to hear Southgate was watching. Proud of all of the players who were simply immense.

Do it again against Brum at the weekend.

Thank you. We've just got to the M1 on the Roadrider so the bus has actually got into top gear for first time this evening. 

Great report, so proud of the whole team tonight. I agree with you about the early nerves and I think once we'd got over the fact it was Chelsea we were playing we gave a good account of ourselves and could have won the game. It augers really well for the rest of the season - and beyond! 

If you haven't already done so, save yourself the bother of reading the match thread. I can't believe some of the negative comments on here! 

Just a reminder, that Chelsea side had some ridiculous players in it. When they were told to pull their finger out in the second half they did have some good slick pass and move but we did the work to recover and created genuine chances against them taking it seriously.

So proud of them all.

Hopefully Frank learned and will give a few a rest on Saturday - last time we suffered a lag after the man u game.

Birmingham uunder Monk are another championship sside capable of getting aa result against anyone iin the division.

Onwards and in the big picture, whatever happens, its going to be fun.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Thank you. We've just got to the M1 on the Roadrider so the bus has actually got into top gear for first time this evening. 

Great report, so proud of the whole team tonight. I agree with you about the early nerves and I think once we'd got over the fact it was Chelsea we were playing we gave a good account of ourselves and could have won the game. It augers really well for the rest of the season - and beyond! 

If you haven't already done so, save yourself the bother of reading the match thread. I can't believe some of the negative comments on here! 

Glad you're on the M1. I came the other way this morning in an beautiful self-driving car! It was like living in the future, and in that future Derby will surely be in the Prem.

I hadn't read the thread yet. Can't believe there are any negative comments. Crazy! What's wrong with people? Every player was amazing and nobody hid. This team is about being brave and believing in our ability and how we want to play. I love how we dictate the agenda. Malone and Marriott were out on their feet but I understand why Frank kept Jack on and it was his perfect pass for Nuge in the last minute. Tough game for Jayden Bogle aganst Willian who I think is one of the world's best players, but Jayden came on really strong towards the end.

We are beautiful to watch. And the whole country loves Frank apart from West Ham and the gumps. We'll soon be everyone else's second team.

2 hours ago, LB_DCFC said:

We've lost 5-4 on aggregate away to manchester united and Chelsea. Most premier league sides won't be able to say that. proud

If you count pre season, we've turned over 4 decent Prem sides so far this season, ok 3. We lost tonight but it doesn't feel like it.

I thought Marriot was very good tonight, his finish on his weakfoot was top class and I dare say Morata would have missed that in his form. He is definitely my favourite summer signing, as we should have him for the long term and  if we were to get promoted his performances at Old Trafford and tonight suggest he could deliver in the prem.  I also like his constant hard work  and closing down, he is like Nugent in his prime but more agile and evasive and hr should get better over the next few years. Now Davies to start a game and I will be happy.

44 minutes ago, sage said:

They really slated Carson for that 3rd goal though.

Watched it 6 times. Carson would have saved it last season. Out of 10, last season, Carson was 9 but this season he is 8. I am not saying it was pathetic, I am saying that Carson was better last season than this one so far. To call it tripe is plainly ridiculous. Willian needed someone to tackle him. He was waltzing around Bogle. Forsyth on Willian would have closed him down more often. Davies would have done the same. Overall a great performance and we lost by a small margin. Marriott looked ten times better than Morata who cost zillions. 

8 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

I thought Marriot was very good tonight, his finish on his weakfoot was top class and I dare say Morata would have missed that in his form. He is definitely my favourite summer signing, as we should have him for the long term and  if we were to get promoted his performances at Old Trafford and tonight suggest he could deliver in the prem.  I also like his constant hard work  and closing down, he is like Nugent in his prime but more agile and evasive and hr should get better over the next few years. Now Davies to start a game and I will be happy.

Who would you drop to let Davies in, WAGetc? 

Fantastic performance yet again! Just looked at the stats and Chelsea had 70% possession, 

it didn't seem like that, probably due to our high pressing, which was amazing to watch, they 

were definitely on the back foot. Loved it when the commentator said " Derby just won't stop coming,

they are like a pack of Terriers, they won't give up".

We also created 3 clear cut chances to Chelsea's 0

Nugents effort in the 88th minute, was sublime and I was already celebrating when it came back off the post

right into the goalies arms - what are the odds on that!!

I've seen enough to know that we stand a chance of Auto's this year, all we need to do now is keep

taking it forward into the next game, and if we can grind out wins against the likes of Birmingham, QPR

and Norwich who have suddenly found their feet, it'l be different scenery next season, that's for sure??

1 hour ago, PrivateDerby said:

Ahhh well, there's always the league... Well done lads! Brilliant performance. So chuffed with us but disappointed we didn't do 'em... funny old game.

The Rams are going up ?

Proud as duck tonight, even the local Stokies were praising Derby!!!!

31 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Who would you drop to let Davies in, WAGetc? 

Either Bogle or Keogh, Tomori would be a lot more solid defensively as a right back than Bogle but as controversial as it is I would say Keogh not just becuase he scored an own goal but becuase I think Davies is a more solid and no nonsense defender and with Tomori and Bogle in the team you need someone like that.

All I can comment having only seen highlights, is that I sat in a bar in Italy and the locals were commenting on Derby and the chances we missed; I was very proud to be a Rams fan.

If we can keep this intensity for the rest of this season, I do believe we are going up.

4 minutes ago, WAGHORNY RAM99 said:

Either Bogle or Keogh, Tomori would be a lot more solid defensively as a right back than Bogle but as controversial as it is I would say Keogh not just becuase he scored an own goal but becuase I think Davies is a more solid and no nonsense defender and with Tomori and Bogle in the team you need someone like that.

Close call, I agree. Massive dilemma only to be decided after someone gets Injured. If Bogle gets injured, I would try Tomori at fullback and bring in Davies. Goals against may dry up but less attacking from Tomori at fullback is downside. 

Archived