Match Thread V Chelsea (A)

Millenniumram

4 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I ended up getting off at Leighton Buzzard, which was the wrong bloody stop. So instead of getting home at 06:30, I’ll be home at 07:30. Managed to find a gym to kill the 3 hours that I have waiting at Milton Keynes. Still worth it though, what a night.

Think yourself lucky it wasn't Cheddington. There's literally nothing there. 3 hours of gym work though - impressive time killer 

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

Think yourself lucky it wasn't Cheddington. There's literally nothing there. 3 hours of gym work though - impressive time killer 

He sat in the foyer slumped against a vending machine stinking of stale cider eating monster munch

Not read the 40 odd previous pages so no doubt already said but need to voice my pride for this team and what Frank is doing.  Such bad luck conceding 2 OGs (3 now in 2 games) but the reaction was world class. Everyone to a man worked their socks off. Huddz in particular continued to show his class and despite facing off against some top Premiership opposition still seemed to have time to slot in those passes he does so well. Plus his dispossession of Fabregas and subsequent slide rule pass for Marriott's goal was class work. Not bad for someone considered to be slow. 

A note to all of you who went to the game - quality, all of you. Sitting at home watching, all I could hear was the travelling Rams fans singing. Hats off to you all. Like the team you did us proud. 

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

They only really had the move for the 3rd goal and the header from cahill as clear chances,  for all their possession. 

....plus they hit the post and carson made one very good save.

could have been 5-5 reminiscent of the classic Derby Scunthorpe cup tie ?

I woke up this morning with an awful hangover and a gash down my leg from when i fell over the seats in front following our 2nd and ended up stuck in the netting covering the seats BUT I still have a big smile on my face. Bring on Saturday, I'm loving this season . 

23 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

Not read the thread bit I guess some keogh haters have surfaced? Happy to be wrong but I doubt it.

Re: the Keogh haters I think there's got to be a bit of balance. 

I love Keogh and wouldn't drop or swap him for anyone but I'm also fine with a few criticisms because his performances aren't perfect. The same could be said for Tomori too. People are going to see through the generally good defending and playing out from the back capability they give us because there's always a few clangers. Last night there was a couple of blatantly obvious ones for people to get their claws into. Someone called him a liability. He is tbf, as are most at our level - that's why they're in this division and not the one above. 

Depends what people want I suppose. I think we've got a better defender sat on the bench in Davies but will bringing him in disrupt what we've got going for us at the moment? I think it would. I'm happy for Keogh and Tomori to scare the poo out of me at times in order to play and build some really good football from the back but at the same time I'm not going to pretend he's faultless. 

I’ve never wanted to be a team that could sing ‘ everybody hates us and we don’t care’

How awesome it is to be able to sing ‘ nearly everyone loves us and it’s fantastic ‘! Admittedly doesn’t scan too well!

I had friends with supposedly no interest in football, texting me all through the match.

i have to echo many of you to say it does feel something special is happening. So fortunate are we to be alive at this time!! ( to misquote WS)

4 minutes ago, archram said:

So fortunate are we to be alive at this time!! ( to misquote WS)

Don't tempt fate.

i overheard two women talking in a cafe yesterday. One said, "when my father was young, he was walking along a road, and a large black cloud appeared in front. He daren't look up up because he knew it was the headless horseman, and if you look at the headless horseman then someone dies".

Must be something wicked in the tea.

Woke up gutted we didn’t get more last night, shows how far we’ve come we went to old Trafford dominated and beat them to Chelsea and created all sorts of problems going forward and a little unlucky at the other end! Credit to the staff 

46 minutes ago, RamNut said:

....plus they hit the post and carson made one very good save.

could have been 5-5 reminiscent of the classic Derby Scunthorpe cup tie ?

The Carson save was the Cahill header from the corner I mentioned wasnt it?

I don't remember them hitting the post (but then i was in the boozer) i only remember Nuge doing so near the end.

Astonishing almost that there were no goals in the 2nd half

5 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

The Carson save was the Cahill header from the corner I mentioned wasnt it?

I don't remember them hitting the post (but then i was in the boozer) i only remember Nuge doing so near the end.

Astonishing almost that there were no goals in the 2nd half

edit - it was moratas header i think not cahill...told you i was in the boozer (but at least not on the cider)?

Got in at 2 o'clock this morning, a fantastic day out, so proud to be a ram, we play football in the right way, after going a goal down, we keep playing and get back in the game with well taken goals, think Frank is going to be a top manager, you can see how much the players enjoy playing under him, long may this continue, we took Chelsea all the way, we already look a prem team, and I think with our current 11 we would finish half way in the premier league, can not wait for the Brum game, my voice might have returned by then lol.

1 hour ago, MK said:

I woke up this morning with an awful hangover and a gash down my leg from when i fell over the seats in front following our 2nd and ended up stuck in the netting covering the seats BUT I still have a big smile on my face. Bring on Saturday, I'm loving this season . 

Now that is what football should be in a sentance.. 

On 29/10/2018 at 19:38, Mucker1884 said:

Wonder if Frank's got his half 'n half scarf yet?   

I was in Corporate seats last night and he came up to see some old friends etc & no joke he did have one, you can just about see it in the photo I took. TBF If I was him, I would've taken one. 

FL.jpg

What a performance last night. All I wanted was for us to play well and we definitely did. Bit unlucky with the result but I have high hopes for the rest of the season. The football is a real joy to watch and a quality team effort.

I wonder whether any other clubs have conceded three times on the trot through own goals? It seems pretty freakish to me. 

What a night. Really impressed with how we went about our business and the atmosphere was amazing. It's so nice to have that feeling even after a loss. Some thoughts on each player last night below. Can't really find any critical words for anyone. Seems weird.

Carson - nothing you can do to react to those two OGs. Probably should've got a block in on the Fabregas goal, but pulled off a couple of great saves in the second half to keep us in it.

Bogle - Did what he could against a quality player like Willian in the first half and held his own. He was better in the second half when he managed to get higher up the pitch and linked up well with Bennett.

Keogh - Can't blame him for the OG. He was very nearly the hero again at the end. Oh, if only he would've put away that chance. Still love him like crazy and he came over quickly after the final whistle to show his respect for the fans and we sang it back to him. 

Tomori - Also really unlucky with his slice, but he was outstanding at the back again in my opinion. His positioning is getting better by the game and his speed helped against some clever Chelsea passing in the final third.

Malone - Loftus-Cheek had the measure of him for most of the game and the Chelsea attacks were down that flank mostly. He did ok, but didn't get the chance to show his forward play due to the Chelsea press. 

Huddlestone - Absolute beast in the middle. Think I can only remember one misplaced pass all game. Always showing for the ball and also broke forwards a couple of times early on to give Fabregas something to think about. 

Mount - Chased the ball when Marriott needed time to recover from previous efforts. When he joined the high press we forced mistakes from the Chelsea defence which got us into some good positions. 

Wilson - A quiet game for him. I noticed him dropping deeper than Huddlestone towards the end of the first half and begging Carson for the ball only for Carson to launch the ball over his head to Waghorn. We also didn't get any free kicks in a dangerous position for him.

Waghorn - Worked hard and caused Emerson some problems. Fluffed a great chance then put his goal away beautifully. Kepp plugging away and his goals will come. 

Lawrence- Did a lot of cover to help Malone against RLC in the first half. Got a couple of dribbles in but held the ball for a couple of touches too long in my opinion, but he had a good game and even got a couple of good tackles in.

Marriott - Awesome performance and he caused the backline so many problems that they decided to bring Luiz on to freshen things up next to Cahill. A bit more stamina work and he could work hard and effectively for 90 minutes. He was struggling to recover for each attack towards the end of the game.

Bennett - Worked hard when he came on and linked up well with Bogle which allowed us to have a good period of pressure in the second half.

Forsyth - stuck to the left byeline and gave us an option for the pass, but he wasn't really used too much. 

Nugent - So. ducking. Close! He offered more than I thought he'd be able to when he came on and was chatting to the young lads through the last 10 minutes to keep their heads up and positive. Offers more to the squad than being a footballer. 

Archived