v Millwall (A) Match Thread

Woodley Ram

As many have said, we lost this game very early on with poor defending, and not spotting that Millwall had sussed our "Play it out from the back at all costs" mentality. Even at the cost of losing the match? There are also loads of comments about us being second to the ball for much of the match.

Sadly, this slow, lumbering start to the match isn't just this season - we've done it for years now. And even when we started well, we would then come out for the second half fast asleep. It isn't difficult - hit the ground running, press the opposition and go for the second ball, every game.

The good signs are that we upped our game for the second half and gave it a real go, which in many ways is all we can ask for. Perhaps the only tactical issue I have is Bryson playing in Defensive Midfielder - why? He can't play there. Neither can Bradley Johnson. And we have Evans who was signed as a DM. What was he doing being sat out of the match? Very poor, in my  mind. Hopefully Frank will learn from this and put things right.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 86 points said:

It explains why we MIGHT be nervous early on. You seem to think there's a definitive and easily quantifiable reason. Poor players. bad coaching etc were the reasons you offered. I don't agree. I think it can be argued that one or two are not up to scratch in the positions they're being asked to play but I also think they might not be starting were some others not on the easy list. You posted after 20 mins today that Mel's finger must be getting itchy. Personally I think such suggestions are utter nonsense. I think 7-10 games into this season we'll be spanking the likes of Millwall. Come back and tell me I'm wrong when the gaffer's had a fair chance please, not after 3 fookin games. 

I hope you’re right but can’t see it for myself. The way Lampard plays will require more than one season to properly implement. I’m willing to give him that time if I see progress but will the fans and most importantly will the owner? I’m not sure he will. Darren Bent had it correct the other day on sky sports. Morris must not be an interfering busy body if we are struggling, he needs to let Lampard just get on with it.

Incidentally Bent said that our aim should be the top 10 this season in order to put the pieces in place and then have a real go next season. 

This is no more than we should have expected really...our pre season success just gave us unrealistic expectations of a new manager with no experience of managing and a largely brand new playing squad of young players.

I really don't expect much more than mid table this year with a climb up the table towards the end of the season as things begin to gel.

It's going to be frustrating to watch at times but it is what it is until we have grown as a team and whilst Frank learns this managing lark.

Hudds or Thorne at DM to pull strings and dampen the onslaught on the CB’s .. and it will all come good. 

Happy clappy is the way forward .. think positive. .. now where’s that bottom lip sticking out emoji 

6 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is that itk? 

From a trusted source. Who has since said Hull wanted him too. There are complications because his wife is having a baby (and so may not want the upheaval), but I am surprised if he's not prepared to move anywhere in the Championship for regular football.  The non-playing players have been sent to Coventry at Moor Farm to try to get them to leave - maybe Jacob's just really stubborn?

1 minute ago, 86 points said:

It explains why we MIGHT be nervous early on. You seem to think there's a definitive and easily quantifiable reason. Poor players. bad coaching etc were the reasons you offered. I don't agree. I think it can be argued that one or two are not up to scratch in the positions they're being asked to play but I also think they might not be starting were some others not on the easy list. You posted after 20 mins today that Mel's finger must be getting itchy. Personally I think such suggestions are utter nonsense. I think 7-10 games into this season we'll be spanking the likes of Millwall. Come back and tell me I'm wrong when the gaffer's had a fair chance please, not after 3 fookin games. 

At the leeds game it appeared to me , especially in the second half, that pretty well every player had no idea what they were supposed to be doing once they received the ball. So consequently no-one wanted the ball. We were a bunch  of strangers who looked like they had never met before. No concept of team at all. And seemingly very uncomfortable with how they are being asked to play. It cannot have been any surprise whatsoever to encounter the style of leeds or millwall.

Very early days of course but you do wonder what on earth they all do in training every day. 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

From a trusted source. Who has since said Hull wanted him too. There are complications because his wife is having a baby (and so may not want the upheaval), but I am surprised if he's not prepared to move anywhere in the Championship for regular football.  The non-playing players have been sent to Coventry at Moor Farm to try to get them to leave - maybe Jacob's just really stubborn?

I watched some footage of his early times with us and he really was not a bad midfielder at all...I suspect he could thrive again under lampard and the 433.

Perhaps he feels the same and is willing to await his chance?

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

This is no more than we should have expected really...our pre season success just gave us unrealistic expectations of a new manager with no experience of managing and a largely brand new playing squad of young players.

I really don't expect much more than mid table this year with a climb up the table towards the end of the season as things begin to gel.

It's going to be frustrating to watch at times but it is what it is until we have grown as a team and whilst Frank learns  about this managing lark.

Post of the day,  needs good start Tuesday night early goal to calm everyone's nerves. 

Well I said before a real ball was kicked we would lose points by playing out slowly from the back but they don’t have to do it every every game! 

Positives of today’s game 

we have Huddlestone and Davies to come back 

Forsyth did very well and we will need him

second half we looked so much better 

last season out of 2 away games and 1 home game we had 1 point this season we have 3pts ?

negatives - we start so badly - set piece delivery is dreadful - we look weak in 50/50s 

1 minute ago, Inverurie Ram said:

Steve Mac so unlucky at WBA today!.......Gareth Barry?...we'd be better off with Harry & Sally!

Don't discount Gareth Barry just yet...we seem to mix it up and wildly jump between styles with every new manager we take on.

Maybe it will be back to a conservative style on the next go round ?

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cannot comment omuch of this but I was up at Moor Farm in the week and there are certainly no players been sent to Coventry.They were all interacting and the coaches were involving them all seemed a very happy and together place.

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

I hope you’re right but can’t see it for myself. The way Lampard plays will require more than one season to properly implement. I’m willing to give him that time if I see progress but will the fans and most importantly will the owner? I’m not sure he will. Darren Bent had it correct the other day on sky sports. Morris must not be an interfering busy body if we are struggling, he needs to let Lampard just get on with it.

Incidentally Bent said that our aim should be the top 10 this season in order to put the pieces in place and then have a real go next season. 

I don't think that I've said anywhere that we're promotion certainties. Quite the opposite. I'm pretty consistent in my thinking and have been since I joined the forum. I want manager's to be given time, especially so if they are playing in a manner that excites the fans. This is an entertainment business after all. The only one I really wanted shot of was old blockhead and that was because he was a toxic see you next Tuesday. I fully expect Frank to have us up around the playoffs in any case and my happyclapper guess pre-season was 4-5th but I'll happily settle for us building a team that is in keeping with how we want to play and to see us making progress towards that vision, even if it takes a year. There'll be no bedwetting from me if we don't go up in Frank's first season, I can assure you and I still maintain that as and when we start to gel, this team is capable of dismantling some of the other teams in the div in a way we've not really seen since Mac1. Pour as much scorn on my thinking as you like. It won't alter my mindset!

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thanks, Carl- Hull might be a good fit and it's not down South. I think you might be right about Jacob!

Archived