v Millwall (A) Match Thread

Woodley Ram

1 minute ago, Nuwtfly said:

We cannot play this system without someone in the midfield who knows how to pass a ducking ball.

I don't know what successive Derby managers keep seeing in him, but I don't want to see Bradley Johnson in this team again. 

Or Bryson. 

Bring Huddlestone and Evans in then the midfield would have a better balance.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nuwtfly said:

We cannot play this system without someone in the midfield who knows how to pass a ducking ball.

I don't know what successive Derby managers keep seeing in him, but I don't want to see Bradley Johnson in this team again. 

I think he's in there now because we are so poor in the air and winning any sort of physical duel. We are very very weak. Even Keogh has never been especially strong in the air. He just about does enough. 

Obviously the downside with Johnson is he gives away possession far more than he wins it. So for every header won, interception made and tackle put in he loses the ball twice as often.

My heart sinks every time he starts a game. But I think he's in there to try and give us some sort of physical existence. 

PistoldPete2
3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yes I thought Lampard wanted to have a passing team. Playing Johnson and Bryson in midfield aint going to make us into a passing team.

What was up with Malone?

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

In every league game we have started off slowly. Why is this? The players aren’t being trained properly, the players don’t have the right mentality, they are being over trained and sluggish or all of the above?

I've highlighted the bits it's not...

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Possibly because they know more than you.  What do you think, he bribes them?  

The fact that Bradley Johnson is more likely to play in a passing, possession-based team than Jacob Butterfield is, is not right. 

1 minute ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's almost as if possession alone doesn't win football matches.

It as has been said, is just a stat. You can have 100% possession but if you are only going to pass it back and forth across your half of the pitch then you won't win. We had 72% but didn't capitalize.  I think a few more games and tweets and this team can start to move in the right direction. 

Wretched display.

Only looked remotely threatening for the last 20 minutes, when Millwall stopped pressing and sat back on the 2-0 lead.

On the whole it was really poor. I don’t think Millwall were that great either. Their goals were Sunday League standard and aside from that Carson didn’t have a save to make.

3rd league game running we’ve gone behind to a poor goal. Leaves us with a mountain to climb. 

We're far too expansive for our own good. The midfield lacks substance & structure. I know we want to be fluid, but we're effectively making our players lose sense to where their teammates are & it's evident that the movement off the ball is quite really poor. I don't think it was a massively poor performance, but very average. 

Player Ratings:
Carson - 5
Bogle - 6
Keogh - 7
Tomori - 4
Malone - 5
Johnson - 4
Bryson - 5
Mount - 4
Jozefzoon - 5
Lawrence - 5
Waghorn - 5
Forsyth - 7
Nugent - 7
Bennett - 5

The reason we lost is because of the midfield, in my opinion. Evans with Mount & Bryson would have allowed us to have a much more natural midfield. 

Harrumph ! I was hoping we had learned against Leeds not to give teams a head start .... but at least the second half sounded as if we can play if we apply ourselves. You don’t learn much from radio commentary but I have a sense that Millwall pressed us hard, stopped us playing how we wanted to and then ran out of steam ?? Looking forward to match reports from the real fans ? who made the journey 

We need to get a settled defensive 5 that are used to each other. Making changes to your back 4 every game pretty much rules out not conceding. Every team that does well has a settled defence and the flair up top will sort its self. 

Archived