v Millwall (A) Match Thread

Woodley Ram

Watched the whole 90 mins 

basically we lost that game in the first 15 minutes or so.

literally amateurish defending, and we were lucky Millwall didn’t make it 3-4 in that spell 

franks desire to play this total pep style football is brillaint and I applaude it.

but without the tools it’s going to fail time and again.

in the championship regardless of the opposition u have to earn the right to play.

we tried to pass out right from the start while theyre fresh and pressing high and with intent 

guess what ... we haven’t got Kevin de Bruyne or David Silva .. and shocking when the opposition are fresh and able to press at will we will lose more games like this in the first 20 mins or so cos we don’t have the players to do it.

second half when they’re press had died down a bit and wasn’t as intense we were able to play but frank has to learn quickly that this division requires as much grit and determination as it does footballing ability

theres a time and a place to play football from the foot of Carson in and around our own box, and first ten minutes at the new den isn’t one of them

The thing that upsets me most is that half this forum probably knew that so why didn’t our boss ? 

Got to learn quickly franky ...

encouraged by the second half performance but deeply concerned by our defending first and the apparent tactic to play out at all costs approach 

im sorry if my grammar isn’t the best I’ve had a skin full as have been dragged to a wedding reception that had a house full of red dogs so I got totally smashed to drown out their ramblings 

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Inglorius said:

His learning curve of coaching his defenders to play out from the back has been an unnecessarily extended one.

The goalkeeper was the cause of the passing errors leading to the second goal. 

2 hours ago, Saity said:

The performance today and last week against Leeds were different but ended with the same result ...defeat...if fans can look ahead to next season with a view that Frank will be wiser and better for a season in the championship getting to know players and the division it will help ...but......

what happens is and I’m guilty of it as are most fans we cannot see beyond what’s actually happening right now and at this moment in time we are making errors with new players and a management team cutting there teeth in an unrelenting division where everyone can see the promised land of the premiership and the so called glories it can bring....

Im the same I want it now I’ve beem to nearly every game and travelled the country but I want it now but reality is we have got to be both realistic and patient ....Frank may not be right for us he may be perfect who knows but what is clear is we will not know the answer to that now or in the next few weeks ....if we can be positive and look to next season without writing of this season ( or what’s the point in going I hear fans saying ) we will progress 

why??? Because FL is intelligent and will learn but also he’s a winner and it’s a journey 

get behind Frank through thick and thin and let’s see where it takes us ....but criticising after 3 games as a rookie manager is not supporting the long term project ....Just give it time ...Frank will make mistakes ...but he is a winner and a hard worker and you could see what it means to Jon after the reading winner ....keep the faith with Frank ??

All good until you mentioned the ‘project ‘word . Immediately it all loses credibility Im afraid 

I'm blaming Millwall for scoring 2. Don't they know we are Frank Lampards Derby County and our total footballing style will see us through when it matters. Bigger and better teams will understand who we are in the future and they will be blaming themselves when we turn them over. Still Early Doors for me.........

The team was de-skilled and coached to not have the ball. We were programmed to concede possession, sit back and simply rely on pace. We are having to learn to play all over again.

the difficulties were are experiencing therefore were probably inevitable. 

That said, the new pieces don't seem to quite fit together , and we are making lots of individual errors.

what was harry storers motto on the wall of the changing room at the baseball ground? "The biggest crime in football is to give the ball to the opposition".

Lets start with re-learning that. The most fundamental anti-rowett lesson that there is. 

I know I'll get panned again for criticising Lawrence but he was again our worst offender when it came to giving the ball away. 61.5% pass completion rate which was the lowest by some distance (next outfield player was FloJo with 75%.

We can't afford to have a player give the ball away like this so much. It either breaks down attacks, or leaves us exposed if the fullback has bombed on looking for an overlap.

It's not even like Lawrence attempts crosses which brings down the pass % as Mount has taken over corner duties. It's a simple case of making the wrong decision or being slack with basic passing. 

I know he's still young and has 'potential', but the guy has already played over 130 games in all comps in his career and has represented Wales 10+ times. He shouldn't be giving the ball away like this so much, especially in a possession-based team.

Even Weimann averaged 75% for us last season and that was in a Rowett team.

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I know I'll get panned again for criticising Lawrence but he was again our worst offender when it came to giving the ball away. 61.5% pass completion rate which was the lowest by some distance (next outfield player was FloJo with 75%.

We can't afford to have a player give the ball away like this so much. It either breaks down attacks, or leaves us exposed if the fullback has bombed on looking for an overlap.

It's not even like Lawrence attempts crosses which brings down the pass % as Mount has taken over corner duties. It's a simple case of making the wrong decision or being slack with basic passing. 

I know he's still young and has 'potential', but the guy has already played over 130 games in all comps in his career and has represented Wales 10+ times. He shouldn't be giving the ball away like this so much, especially in a possession-based team.

I think the thing with Lawrence is that he doesn't even look for the pass.

Once he gets on a run he is only looking at the defender in front. Far easier to give and get back than to beat three defenders.

He's a talented lad but doesn't always look like he is playing for the team. I could be wrong of course and will continue to support him and others.

I wonder whether Frank and Jody will try to change him or accept he is a mercurial talent. 

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think you'll get panned at all. He's immensely frustrating. I still think there's a serious player in there somewhere but we need to see more than just flashes of that ability. For balance, he's not alone in that regard and it's likely that we'll see him in a better light as the team settles and we find some structure in midfield. My worries right now are that firstly, I'm not sure he's really an out and out winger and secondly, he sometimes looks like he's rather bought into his own publicity. At risk of being unfair, it's no good him thinking he's all that, he has to show it on the pitch. Perhaps he's the type to need a sharp reminder from time to time. If so, I hope Frank and Jody won't shy away from delivering a few wake-up calls, as and when required.

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

The team was de-skilled and coached to not have the ball. We were programmed to concede possession, sit back and simply rely on pace. We are having to learn to play all over again.

the difficulties were are experiencing therefore were probably inevitable. 

That said, the new pieces don't seem to quite fit together , and we are making lots of individual errors.

what was harry storers motto on the wall of the changing room at the baseball ground? "The biggest crime in football is to give the ball to the opposition".

Lets start with re-learning that. The most fundamental anti-rowett lesson that there is. 

The individual errors are a bit strange. Chicken-or-egg situation - do the individual errors stem from the players not being able to play the system, or can they not play the system because of the individual errors?

I think the average age and unfamiliar faces have to have something to do with it. Could also be elements of being surprised that the competitive stuff is nowhere near as easy as pre-season.

One thing in our favour is that the players won’t know each other less or grow younger as the season goes on.

Didn’t know it was Storer who said that, always thought it was one of Clough’s for some reason. So many of our problems would be solved by cutting out invidual errors - do that, and the way we play has half a chance of working out. Surely we can’t be this accident-prone all season long?

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think Lawrence will be gone within 18 months and hopefully he can score 10 goals fairly soon and we get a good price for him because he has many faults which don’t overly help a team 

11 minutes ago, Duracell said:

Didn’t know it was Storer who said that, always thought it was one of Clough’s for some reason. So many of our problems would be solved by cutting out invidual errors - do that, and the way we play has half a chance of working out. Surely we can’t be this accident-prone all season long?

From what i remember, clough admired storer and the message and so left it up, as did every Derby manager thereafter. Don't know what happened to it.

It must be in @loweman2's loft.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Can you just start PMing your accurate critiques of Laurence’s performances directly to us? Not sure I want this kind of information in the public domain.

We need to pretend to the outside world that he’s a reliable game-changer and we’d be gutted if we sold him. That would add another £2m to his value. No one can know the secret...

10 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I think Lawrence will be gone within 18 months and hopefully he can score 10 goals fairly soon and we get a good price for him because he has many faults which don’t overly help a team 

On a general subject how many players have we bought in, successfully coached to become a better player then sold on for a significant profit afterwards? The general consensus of opinion on here is get rid of anyone whom is deemed substandard just like they're a disposal commodity.  

Here's what happened to Harry Storer's motto on the wall of the changing room at the Baseball Ground "the biggest crime in football is to give the ball to the opposition"

Clement added a heading "Tippy tappy makes me happy" and took it with him to Swansea and Reading.

And soon to his next club in the Conference.

Archived