v Millwall (A) Match Thread

Woodley Ram

Just a few other random observations from yesterday. 

Our first 2 corners of the match failed to even reach the penalty area.

Their first goal should have been our free kick, their man was clearly pulling Tomori's shirt prior to being fouled. 

Tomori seems to have the knack of getting caught under high balls, only remember him winning one header. 

Bryson playing behind the centre backs for most of the game...ridiculous.

Wide men pretty ineffective.

Waghorn kicked to pieces all afternoon with very little protection from the ref.

Forsyth, Nugent and Bennett all did enough to warrant a start on Tuesday night.

3 minutes added time??? Despite the keeper having the ball for 30 seconds every time it came to him and their fans keeping or throwing the ball away every time it went out. As well as the ball boys just leaving the ball for the goalkeeper to fetch on occasions. 

I know their fans get bad press but on the whole they are pretty irrelevant these days. However, yesterday just reminded me what a classless bunch of morons large sections of them are.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, BobbyD said:

All good until you mentioned the ‘project ‘word . Immediately it all loses credibility Im afraid 

11 hours ago, BobbyD said:

All good until you mentioned the ‘project ‘word . Immediately it all loses credibility Im afraid 

Really ...?.. very picky mate if you’re pickin up on one word 

A few thoughts from me as well, although it might come accross as harsh on certain players. 

Jozefzoon was anonymous, and any time he got the ball he ran into dead ends. He looked very lightweight. 

Waghorn tried hard but fell to the floor far too easily. We were told about his set piece delivery but we didnt see it yesterday. 

Bogle was lost in the first half. He got better in the 2nd, but he struggled to make a pass forward that wasnt either overhit or not to its intended target. 

Mount showed flashes of skill but my fear is that he gets lost in the hussle amd bustle of the championship. 

Tomori looks a modern day centre half, all pace and athleticism. Unfortunately he's green and experienced centre forwards will exploit him. Keogh is suffering having to pre empt what he's going to do.

Malone was over the other side of the pitch so I didnt see much of him. We looked better with Forsyth.  

We know the strengths and weaknesses of Lawrence and Johnson, both of which were in evidence yesterday. 

In the 2nd half there were loads of opportunities to thread a ball through but we dont seem to have that player in the current first team squad.  

The good thing to see was us moving the ball quickly from side to side and creating space for wide players to take advantage. Our wide players didnt yesterday. 

I know we are still bedding in new players and they are getting used to each other. When we click, we will be very good but Im not convinced it will be consistent enough to make a promotion push. I think away games will tough for us. 

Ironically it was the exact opposite of last season's game at home v Millwall where I thought they played well but we got 3 goals in the 1st half to make the 2nd almost irrelevant.  

4 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

I know we are still bedding in new players and they are getting used to each other. When we click, we will be very good but Im not convinced it will be consistent enough to make a promotion push. I think away games will tough for us. 

Ironically it was the exact opposite of last season's game at home v Millwall where I thought they played well but we got 3 goals in the 1st half to make the 2nd almost irrelevant. 

My concern with what you're saying is that half the team are loanees whom probably won't be here next season if we do fail to make the Top 6 so does that then mean another season of new players getting used to each other ad infinitum

Just watched the highlights on RamsTV. IMO, Carson had every right to pass that ball to Bryson. Did similar in preseason. Bryson was asking for it just before. Maybe a poor pass, Bryson wrong footed and stretching. Bryson wasn’t marked and had an out ball to his right. Run of the mill for me and no need for Carson to hoof it as some posters have said 

Got to stick to the principles of playing it out. Sometimes it’s about knowing when to clear it though such as when keogh ended up poking it out for a corner accidentally. 

Ive seen it mentioned earlier in the thread but Bryson has been pretty anonymous for the first few games. I’d like to see the midfield that started against Oldham, start against Ipswich. 

Johnson to play the box to box role. Evans to hold and try and dictate the tempo. Mount with a free role to create. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Not, but then I would say that, wouldn't I? Ref was really poor IMO.

We decided not, but only after we'd replayed it a couple of times and freeze framed it! In other words it was very tight and you can understand why the lino got it wrong. 

Whatever happened to the benefit of the doubt? 

22 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

Just watched the highlights on RamsTV. IMO, Carson had every right to pass that ball to Bryson. Did similar in preseason. Bryson was asking for it just before. Maybe a poor pass, Bryson wrong footed and stretching. Bryson wasn’t marked and had an out ball to his right. Run of the mill for me and no need for Carson to hoof it as some posters have said 

Thing is though, it was an accident waiting to happen.

Millwall were obviously pressing us very high and with our centre backs taking up positions near the corner flags it was obvious that any mistake was going to be punished.

Yesterday every first touch by Bryson was to take the ball back towards his own goal. Just really don't think he suits the position he was played in.

3 hours ago, Inglorius said:

On a general subject how many players have we bought in, successfully coached to become a better player then sold on for a significant profit afterwards? The general consensus of opinion on here is get rid of anyone whom is deemed substandard just like they're a disposal commodity.  

I was fully intending to make a reasonable profit 

11 minutes ago, angieram said:

We decided not, but only after we'd replayed it a couple of times and freeze framed it! In other words it was very tight and you can understand why the lino got it wrong. 

Two seasons running - you don’t get that at Millwall 

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

Quite! I thought in scenarios where it was too close to call, the attacking side got the verdict. Hrmph!! ?

17 minutes ago, angieram said:

Linesman flag stayed down for a good couple of seconds, think it went up under pressure

Early days, hopefully ten games in we will see more consistency a settled squad playing better together with less individual errors.

Not going to happen overnight and we need to be patient,  FL needs time and is hopefully learning about his players and himself during the process.Just hope we don't start jumping on the usual band wagon without giving everyone at the club time to improve.

So long as I can see development, improvement and commitment on the pitch i can live with a few disappointing results. I won't be making any judgements ,other than in individual performances before Xmas .When hopefully a little bit more karma and stability will have ermerged.

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

My concern with what you're saying is that half the team are loanees whom probably won't be here next season if we do fail to make the Top 6 so does that then mean another season of new players getting used to each other ad infinitum

I guess the best way would be to have the academy churning out players.  

Mind you, Brentford seem adapt at it every season. 

I think the problem with the team at the moment is that the balance is all wrong. Our midfield is made up of players more suited to playing in the middle e.g Lawrence isn't a winger and like a lot of our players would prefer to play in a freer role, behind the strikers; Bryson is wasted in his current role.

Hopefully Davies will be back soon and Tomori can be moved to right back, or maybe as a DM.

Having only watched the highlights thus far - my thoughts:

Our biggest issue seems to be decision making. I get the want to play the ball all the time, but you have to know that sometimes hoofing it is the best option.

Silly individual mistakes seem to be being punished every time, and there was quite a slice of luck going Millwall's way for both goals. Poor defending for both, for sure, but you can't account for the deflection for the second one.

When we finally get on the front foot, we actually look dangerous. That move for the Nugent goal was perfect. Maybe its a belief thing? 

Does this ring true for anybody who saw the game first hand? Or am I being a little deluded? Also, does anyone have a clip of the 'offside' goal? Wasn't included in the highlights.

Archived