What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

It is hard to judge players like Thorne and Martin's fitness in U23 games the games do not have the same intensity had first team games.They can cruise through these fixtures using their experience to just pick up space and time.

However George looked has lean and trim if not more so than in his best days.He covered lots of ground tackled well and was fouled a few times,linked the play well and was the stand out performer over 90 minutes..

..Sibley looked good in the time he was on the pitch but over ninety it was George.

If he is closing in on fitness and form he is the standout DM in the division other side's know it and without a doubt so will Frank.

What the future holds we can but wait to see.

That would solve so many problems with the midfield...brilliant if it happens.....

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

If Thorne is fully recovered and is back to his best, he's one of, if not the best players we have. If him going on loan is somehow predetermined, no matter how well he performs for the U23s, that's not really something I'm comfortable with tbh. 

Play your best players, surely?

If he is fit, lean and looking back to his best, and given our dire need in that area, sending him out before giving him a proper chance here would be utterly, utterly stupid. 

Scouts from Birmingham, QPR, Hull, Bolton, Sheff Utd, Barnsley, Millwall and Portsmouth were in attendance last night. There may well have been more, but they’re the ones I’ve been told about. 

In attendance specifically to watch the three seniors who appeared for us last night, apparently. 

I can’t say any of them were impressive on the night but I would imagine clubs know all about what they’ve done in their careers so far so I’m assuming they check in on such fixtures to assess the players’ fitness levels? 

Time will tell. 

But seeing no real rumours or links to such players online, nor am I hearing anything elsewhere. 

Really hope George Thorne stays and fights for his place! He was a class above before his injury woes and if he can get back to that level then only good things will happen for whatever club he’s playing for, I just hope it’s derby 

10 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Scouts from Birmingham, QPR, Hull, Bolton, Sheff Utd, Barnsley, Millwall and Portsmouth were in attendance last night. There may well have been more, but they’re the ones I’ve been told about. 

In attendance specifically to watch the three seniors who appeared for us last night, apparently. 

I can’t say any of them were impressive on the night but I would imagine clubs know all about what they’ve done in their careers so far so I’m assuming they check in on such fixtures to assess the players’ fitness levels? 

Time will tell. 

But seeing no real rumours or links to such players online, nor am I hearing anything elsewhere. 

So isn’t FL going to give Martin time to get fit and see him play, before deciding his future?

12 minutes ago, superzak said:

Ive a feeling F.L has decided on quite a few senior players futures already

Shame. 

I feel Lampard’s system may be to advanced to work and will need the odd stroke off pure technique over work rate and less of an emphasis on pressing.

Saying that, Leeds had both. 

Reading this forum gave me hope that George might one day muscle his way back into the starting XI and recapture his form. But reading Craig Short's comments on Derby Live quickly dashed that.

I love Thorne, ridiculous player once he's up and running. 

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Time will tell. 

I thought Thorne got a lot better as the game went on and also ended up playing pretty far forward as he tried to impact on the game more. And he took a couple of hits in the first half without flinching. But he was significanty responsible for their second goal early on, being out-thought and losing his man at their corner. I don't know who Mac has in this position at QPR, but if it's at all lacking I'd have thought he'd have seen enough to go for someone he should know and trust.

I'd say both Thorne and Martin looked pretty lean, which was encouraging. Butters has always looking in shape, but needs to reduce that beard before he ends up the full Ledley!

Of the youngsters, Babos did himself no harm at all if wanting a loan move, and the same for Sibley for that matter. Elsnik's really gone off the boil for some reason and needs to put in some consistently good performances.

39 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

Reading this forum gave me hope that George might one day muscle his way back into the starting XI and recapture his form. But reading Craig Short's comments on Derby Live quickly dashed that.

I love Thorne, ridiculous player once he's up and running. 

Which he hasn’t seemed to do much since his injuries. His leg break was the end for me bless him. 

I’m a massive fan of george but right now a loan move till January would be good for everyone. He needs to be in and around a first team squad and is well down the pecking order here. Send him out, get him games and come January hopefully he’s back for the second half of the season. 

48 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

I’m a massive fan of george but right now a loan move till January would be good for everyone. He needs to be in and around a first team squad and is well down the pecking order here. Send him out, get him games and come January hopefully he’s back for the second half of the season. 

Hope so as we’ll be trying to manage with ancient Joe, concrete Tom and a bloke who was basically a freebie in that position.

high stakes by Frank? 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I thought Thorne got a lot better as the game went on and also ended up playing pretty far forward as he tried to impact on the game more. And he took a couple of hits in the first half without flinching. But he was significanty responsible for their second goal early on, being out-thought and losing his man at their corner. I don't know who Mac has in this position at QPR, but if it's at all lacking I'd have thought he'd have seen enough to go for someone he should know and trust.

I'd say both Thorne and Martin looked pretty lean, which was encouraging. Butters has always looking in shape, but needs to reduce that beard before he ends up the full Ledley!

Of the youngsters, Babos did himself no harm at all if wanting a loan move, and the same for Sibley for that matter. Elsnik's really gone off the boil for some reason and needs to put in some consistently good performances.

Yeah, it was a pretty disastrous start and Thorne was clearly caught out for that opening goal, but he certainly grew into the game as it went on and showed glimpses of his undoubted qualities. Took some crunching tackles and didn’t seem any worse for them. If he gets back to something like, then he’s a superb addition in a deep, sitting position. It surprises me that FL doesn’t fancy him because on his day he’s a better bet than Ledley and Johnson for me. 

I felt Butterfield was decent enough but he didn’t do ‘enough’ to have me thinking he’d be any better than the likes of Mount or Bryson, so I understand why he’s on the list to leave. I still rate him, and I think at a club with less ambition and regular games he’d probably stand out at this level again. Some players just can’t hack it at bigger clubs. 

Martin looked the same as he always does. Frustrating half the time, sublime the other half. I think he’ll still get a club at this level but his career has stalled massively the last couple of years. 

Bizarre when I was sat watching that last night and thought back to Boxing Day a couple of years back and I think it was Fulham we beat? Not sure now. But those three were key players then, and we went top of the league. Football eh?

8 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I felt Butterfield was decent enough but he didn’t do ‘enough’ to have me thinking he’d be any better than the likes of Mount or Bryson, so I understand why he’s on the list to leave. I still rate him, and I think at a club with less ambition and regular games he’d probably stand out at this level again. Some players just can’t hack it at bigger clubs. 

I'll be honest, this surprised me. Mainly because I thought you were Jacob Butterfield!

Didn't you join this forum just before he(you ;) ) signed?

Archived