What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Hudders certainly can tackle...he just seems soooo ponderous in his movements.

However....that can be decieving,it's not all about how fast you can run....having some quality decision making and an eye for the right pass is more important.

He can't be that ponderous given he can receive the ball with 3 men climbing up his jacksie and still find time and space for a pass. I agree he's far from rapid but if he had blinding pace in his armoury he'd have 100 caps for England too. (See earlier disclaimer)

I really do hope that Thorne gets back to his best, but comparing him competitively with Tom Huddlestone is futile and unfair, both of them are superb footballers, and a treat for connoisseurs of ‘real football’ to watch ..

Having them both in the team and firing at the same time would be awesome, and the perception that having two CDMs in the team together would be cautious / over defensive would be superfluous as they both have the ability to turn defence into attack with one touch forward passing. Neither is ‘quick’ or ‘mobile’ in the conventional sense of the word, but their superior football brain gives them the edge over ‘quicker’ players who don’t have anywhere near the same ‘vision’ In tight situations.

As far as I have seen on the forum recently (86 Points and Kash aside) there are many posters on here who have only come to realise the value of Huddlestone in particular since he has become injured, and to lose him to Stoke would be an extremely serious ‘own goal’ for this club ! 

Time for George thorne  to come back in now

the two george's look like our best options for the holding roll.

ledley and huddlestone are rowett pap.

Ledley can play a good short passing game but has the occasional stinker (burton away)

hudds can fire laser guided missiles but can't tackle and has the occasional stinker (burton away)

George looks in good shape. Therefore play him.

I was shocked he wasn't on the bench last night. Especially considering that he didn't play for the U23s. 

He was at the game though. 

Lampard must see something in training every day for him not to think Thorne is good enough. 

But I've got a feeling we won't be seeing too much of Evans this season now. So hopefully Thorne still has a role to play. 

I wonder if it is becoming a mental issue with George rather than a physical or ability one?

Is he showing enough in training and U23 matches that he's willing to put a tackle in and be brave. If he is playing with the fear factor, and is just too scarred mentally from his injuries, he could be done.

Speculation, but I'm not the first one to say it. If Huddlestone still isn't ready for Saturday and Evans is out, he surely makes the bench if he stands any chance of making it with us now?

Surprised he wasn’t involved last night. Something must be going on if he’s not making the squad and he’s pulled from the u23’s, the only thing that would make sense now is a loan move yet there seems no movement here either.

Very odd and we are now very light in his position 

4 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

Putting 2 and 2 together here, but Mac at QPR says they're very close to some loan deals, Thorne pulled from under 23s, reckon he might be one of them. 

If he's fit enough to go and do a job at QPR then I just don't get why he's not getting a chance here. Doesn't make sense to send a fully fit George Thorne to another Championship side. It's like Martin to Fulham all over again...

31 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Surprised he wasn’t involved last night. Something must be going on if he’s not making the squad and he’s pulled from the u23’s, the only thing that would make sense now is a loan move yet there seems no movement here either.

Very odd and we are now very light in his position 

Or it could be that with Johnson getting injured Monday then thirne was pulled from the U23 as cover for the senior squad should anyone else take a knock

4 hours ago, TomBustler1884 said:

I wonder if it is becoming a mental issue with George rather than a physical or ability one?

Is he showing enough in training and U23 matches that he's willing to put a tackle in and be brave. If he is playing with the fear factor, and is just too scarred mentally from his injuries, he could be done.

Speculation, but I'm not the first one to say it. If Huddlestone still isn't ready for Saturday and Evans is out, he surely makes the bench if he stands any chance of making it with us now?

He put in and received some hefty challenges against Blackburn U23s

4 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

He put in and received some hefty challenges against Blackburn U23s

That's what I'd heard, just seems very odd to not be in contention unless he's off on loan. Which again, seems odd IF Evans is out long term. Saturday is make or break I fear for George at DCFC.

Archived