What's happening with George Thorne?

twinthe_12

52 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

If he's fit enough to go and do a job at QPR then I just don't get why he's not getting a chance here. Doesn't make sense to send a fully fit George Thorne to another Championship side. It's like Martin to Fulham all over again...

He may be fit but can he deliver what is needed.  Sending him to qpr to get regular game time maybe exactly what is needed as long as there is nothing perm about the deal

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought l would bump this, as it would seem the George Evans thread has been hijacked by GT.

I know nothing, zip, sweet FA, specific about GT’s current circumstances but l can’t see anything other than nostalgia as to his chances of playing for us this season.  If l were a gambling man l might speculate a few dollars on him playing his football in the USA Soccerball arenas come 2019.

I worry that if GT isn't involved tonight, he will (possibly with some justification) look for an exit option.  However, someone posted in the Preston match thread that the reaction to us scoring v Ipswich from the old guard - incl. GT - was muted at best, compared to how Tom & colleagues appeared to be joining in the celebrations on Sat.  I hope this isn't typical of his approach to fighting for his place in the squad.  He seemed to be pulling the strings v Chelsea U23's.  Ok, not the Chelsea players may not be near the first team, but they are brimming with talent nonetheless. I hope someone whispered in Jody's ear about how GT played.  We need to give him another crack.  If he doesn't take it, that's up to him.  I just hope he is still motivated to get back into the picture here.  Can't shake the image in my head of a midfield player that was head and shoulders above anything else we've had in the recent past - including Will!  I felt he brought more to the team, more regularly that Will (despite Will's obvious talent and flair).

You've got to think if there's any chance of Thorne being in Lampard's plans then tonight is the game for it - Seems to be fully fit and if he's getting his head back in the right place then the lack of outright DMs seems to make it an obvious opportunity

Only major problem being - Huddlestone might be nearly ready for a run out?

Thorne, like Martin, Anya, Butterfield, Jerome (more obvious with the Turkey link) have everything resting on tonights game. if they aren't involved then they're never playing for Derby again. You could possibly throw Pearce into that equation if he doesn't start.

Huddlestone/Thorne > Ledley/ Johnson.

Anyone with half a brain can see the above, I'd much rather Huddlestone and Thorne fighting for that spot and they also fit much more into Lampards style of play than Ledley and Johnson... Johnson can be used further up the pitch when needed.

11 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

Thorne, like Martin, Anya, Butterfield, Jerome (more obvious with the Turkey link) have everything resting on tonights game. if they aren't involved then they're never playing for Derby again. You could possibly throw Pearce into that equation if he doesn't start.

Seen a few say this and think it might be a little unfair (and same with the ‘they didn’t celebrate proper at Ipswich stuff). When they aren’t announced in the team (let’s face it, numbers alone makes it unlikely) then it puts everything into a negative position. Reality is we don’t really know, I’d much rather not put the pressure on and see if they are still here on September 1st and then see what Frank has to say.

8 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Seen a few say this and think it might be a little unfair (and same with the ‘they didn’t celebrate proper at Ipswich stuff). When they aren’t announced in the team (let’s face it, numbers alone makes it unlikely) then it puts everything into a negative position. Reality is we don’t really know, I’d much rather not put the pressure on and see if they are still here on September 1st and then see what Frank has to say.

I think frank owes it to CM and JT due to previous seasons to give them a start tonight. Even if he has no plans for them. He may get a surprise or another club may want to pick them up for a loan to a future purchase. 

23 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

I think frank owes it to CM and JT due to previous seasons to give them a start tonight. Even if he has no plans for them. He may get a surprise or another club may want to pick them up for a loan to a future purchase. 

When did we sign John Terry?! ?

43 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

He's going to make a fair few changes tonight. Take CM as the easy example. say he's not involved, does FL say he isn't fir? I don't think many would buy that as he has had ample minutes for the U23's to get at least half an hour in the league cup. When you look realistically, Nugent won't travel as we have two new strikers itching for minutes, the the system you can only start one of them, potentially put MW on the wing but then you take that away from the wingers that need minutes, so say like the last LC game Marriott starts with MW on the bench and MW comes on, theirs no place for Martin. If he can't even get game time in a league cup round 2 game then how is he ever going to get game time in the league?

8 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

He's going to make a fair few changes tonight. Take CM as the easy example. say he's not involved, does FL say he isn't fir? I don't think many would buy that as he has had ample minutes for the U23's to get at least half an hour in the league cup. When you look realistically, Nugent won't travel as we have two new strikers itching for minutes, the the system you can only start one of them, potentially put MW on the wing but then you take that away from the wingers that need minutes, so say like the last LC game Marriott starts with MW on the bench and MW comes on, theirs no place for Martin. If he can't even get game time in a league cup round 2 game then how is he ever going to get game time in the league?

Maybe start with FloJo and MW as the wide players and Marriott up top and then swap Marriott for CM in the second half, same with Holmes, bring him on second half. That way everyone gets minutes.

6 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Could it be that we've always rushed him back too soon and Frank has noted this and his being really patient with him?? 

With Marriott FL said he wanted to integrate him properly into the squad, may be the same with GT, make sure he is fully up to speed before putting him in the first team. 

44 minutes ago, NorfolkRam said:

Simple answer, it’s a long long season and we’ve seen players get injured and all of a sudden we can look short in an area.

Lampard has been pretty quiet on the situation so it’s hard to really be conclusive. That’s why I’m saying it’ll be better to wait until Saturday than tonight. From what we’ve seen both Thorne and Martin had bitty preseasons and there’s enough rumour to suggest why that has been. So it’s also a possibility that they’ve been told to get fit, start enjoying their football and play their ways in contention. Again my point is we will not know unless they go out before the Saturday deadline. 

Ofcourse my argument is one of hope over any sensible thinking but both could become vital players if we get them back to their best

Archived